Birth Cards......Need answers ASAP!

dook0126

:eek: Has any one use these new birth cards (Smaller certified copy of the birth certificate), especially sailed out of the Port of New Orleans? Cruising 2/9...need to know ASAP if I should try one of these online companies to get a long form BC...Please help.....

Thanks

:eek: Has any one use these new birth cards (Smaller certified copy of the birth certificate), especially sailed out of the Port of New Orleans? Cruising 2/9...need to know ASAP if I should try one of these online companies to get a long form BC...Please help.....

Thanks

I'm not sure if I am thinking of the same thing but they were available for one of my daughter's when she was born (almost 13 now) but I always have used a "standard" birth certificate and now she has a passport. I would say to be on the safe side it would be better to go ahead and order one now - far better then getting there and not being able to board!

I agree with the above - better safe then sorry. With the state of our security these days I wouldn't be testing out the wallet card.

Are you living in the state you were born in? If so it would be faster to just go to your Dept of Health (or whatever they call it in LA) and get one on the spot.

Don't delay.

Thanks

as the OP said, go to the health department and get your BC's only takes a few minutes for them to pull them up and print them out. I had to do that in Kentucky because I never received one on my DD, and needed it. I lived close to the capitol because in Ky, that is where you have to go to get it. However, here in florida, it is the health department.

so check your health deptartment, then if need be, go on line and order a rush order on them from the capitol.

Good Luck.

My husband and I just cruised out of New Orleans on Nov 3, 2008 and that is all you needed with a DL. If you go to health unit, most can not go back for births before 198 3 or somthing right there, i think they told me. I was born in 84 and they could get me a certificate but my husband in 80 and they could only give card. we both used the card and had no problem. They do accept that as long as it has the seal on it your good.

In Canada the card size BC is not new (mine's almost 40 years old). More people use these than the large paper that is not very convenient. We only have the card ones and have never had any problem. Just make sure it is government issued not from online company.

If it's notarized, how would it be any different than a regular BC????? :confused:

I have a passport so I don't worry about this stuff and I have no idea what's going on with passport regulations now...but aren't they only accepting passports for cruising now...did that get pushed back again??

What's the date that passports are required now???

No they're not only accepting passport apps for people cruising. That would be stupid. How could they tell me no you can't have one b/c you're flying to Mexico instead of cruising there. I don't think so. The passports are usually coming within one month of applying for them. They are requiring them this spring - I don't know what the exact date is... I think April-June.. somewhere in there.

First thing first, I did go to the State Office to get the birth certificate and birth card only to be told that the only thing I can get right now is the birth card. I would have to mail off for the birth certificate. And that could take up to 8 weeks... So, I had to settle for the birth card, something is better than nothing...From what I am hearing I think we will be fine using just that. I went in '05 and was almost sure that is all I needed.

Secondly, from what we are being told now from Carnival and a travel agent friend, passports may not be required until '09. The wait time in the New Orleans area for a passport is almost 3-6 mos for regular processing. Really fast service huh?

Thanks again everyone for the info....

I have sailed on Carnival and obtained a passport using the birth card from Louisiana. The birth card and all newer birth certificates (2000's) have a watermark on them instead of the raised seal. Many states are going to this now. FYI: I lost my birth certificate from the 60's (in my house- LOL) and had to replace it. This is when I got the birth card. Anyway, Carnival has accepted this for all my cruises. It is not the cruise line that sets the rule it is the State Department. You will be fine. Go ahead and have a fun cruise.

Thanks

If this is a certified copy of the birth certificate issued by the state. There is no reason it sould not be as acceptable as a large size copy. A certified copy is a certified copy. I've never heard of a minimum size requirement for it to be accepted.

I used this size/type BC to get my daughter's passport recently. Since they accepted it, I assume it was the right type. :) But, that was one of the main reasons we got passports for all of us, we didn't need them for our upcoming cruise, but I was nervous something would go wrong and we'd get to the pier with the wrong type of BC. Now I'm out the $400 (somewhat unnecessarily) but I'll have no worries boarding. LOL

Archived