Driving to NYC, staying overnight, best plan?

Spriteshadow

My DH, twin DS/DD (22 mos old) and I will be driving from Toronto to NYC on March 7, then sailing on March 8 at 2pm. We're trying to figure out our best plan. Money IS an object.

We're going to need to stash the car somewhere for the week we're gone. We have to get all our stuff to the Pier as easily as possible, with as little schlepping as possible by us, because we'll have two babes to keep track of as well. We don't plan to bring the car seats for the kids on the cruise, so taxis are pretty much out.

We don't want to stay anywhere more than an hour out from the pier overnight, just to keep the stress level down on the day of departure.

Do any of you have suggestions as to the easiest, most cost effective way of doing all this? I'm getting overwhelmed with possibilities, researching this on my own.

Thanks, Chantelle

My DH, twin DS/DD (22 mos old) and I will be driving from Toronto to NYC on March 7, then sailing on March 8 at 2pm. We're trying to figure out our best plan. Money IS an object.

We're going to need to stash the car somewhere for the week we're gone. We have to get all our stuff to the Pier as easily as possible, with as little schlepping as possible by us, because we'll have two babes to keep track of as well. We don't plan to bring the car seats for the kids on the cruise, so taxis are pretty much out.

We don't want to stay anywhere more than an hour out from the pier overnight, just to keep the stress level down on the day of departure.

Do any of you have suggestions as to the easiest, most cost effective way of doing all this? I'm getting overwhelmed with possibilities, researching this on my own.

Thanks, Chantelle

Find a hotel. Drive to port and park your car there. You need to know which terminal your are sailing from. Brooklyn or Manhattan.

Finding a hotel is the tricky part.

http://www.nycruise.com/

Find a hotel. Drive to port and park your car there. You need to know which terminal your are sailing from. Brooklyn or Manhattan.

Finding a hotel is the tricky part.

http://www.nycruise.com/

You can't park at the cruise terminal unless a ship is there. I think what the poster wants to do is drive and stay about an hour outside of manhattan and then drive to the terminal. Parsippany troy hillsm NJ has a doubletree suites and a sheraton that are ok and should be less expensive than staying closer to NYC....about an hour from Manhattan......

• 3 weeks later...

We were originally booked on a Canada cruise and were pricing things out for NYC. What we found was that it's cheaper to stay at a hotel in Newark or such that has a park and fly package. From there, take a shuttle (NOT the cruiseline's) to/from the port for a lot less than the cruiseline would charge.

I did a LOT of research on this and got it to an affordable point. I can't remember right off the top of my head, but I think it was the Fairfield Inns and Suites at EWR (Newark)......(we were driving, too...but that's where you find the airport transportation hotels) Just park at the hotel, take the airport transportation to the airport and then take Super Shuttle to the cruiseport. It's cheaper than the hotel and then parking at the port.

Good luck!

Archived