zipline and arm strength

kimcht

I need advice for those of you who have ziplined. I have never done it and it looks like so much fun, but don't know if I can physically do it. I can climb the stairs without a problem, and I undertand the harness holds you in, but how much work do you have to do with your arms. I can use my arms in front of me without a problem and can hold on, but I cannot hold them overhead for very long at all do to muscular problems. the pictures look like people are doing something with their arms above their head? if we were to do it it would be in ketchikan. thanks!

I need advice for those of you who have ziplined. I have never done it and it looks like so much fun, but don't know if I can physically do it. I can climb the stairs without a problem, and I undertand the harness holds you in, but how much work do you have to do with your arms. I can use my arms in front of me without a problem and can hold on, but I cannot hold them overhead for very long at all do to muscular problems. the pictures look like people are doing something with their arms above their head? if we were to do it it would be in ketchikan. thanks!

I did the zipline this past Sept. in Ketchikan with Alaska Canopy Adventures. It was awesome and you don't need to worry about lack of arm strength. You are supported by the cables totally. One hand is placed on the top cable (to keep it out of the way) and the other hand is used at the end of the zip to "brake" (slow down) before landing on platform. You put just mere pressure on the cable...nothing strenous at all. One thing I will say, my abdominal muscles ached the next morning...felt like I had done a million situps!

Take a look at this 14 sec. clip of me zipping along.

Trudy

The ziplines I've done in Cozumel and Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) both left my hands free for cameras, waving overhead, etc....

If you're very concerned and don't get enough reassurance from this group, it's probably best to contact the vendor and talk to them directly. Generally speaking, the vendor knows best what's required for their tours!

I'm not sure which zipline you are referring to in Cozumel but the one in Icy Straight Point is considered a Zip RIDE where you are seated in a sling during the thrilling 90 sec. decent down. Much unlike the experience where you wear a harness to zip from platform to platform over the course of an hour or so.

I point this out for those who desire one type and mistakenly book the other. What a disappointment that would be, so please informed of the differences. See the links below.

Zipline http://www.alaskacanopyadventures.com/tours.html

Zip Ride http://www.icystraitpoint.com/excursions_zip.html

Trudy

I zipped in Ketchikan. You hold your arms above your head (but the harness holds you) and you are supposed to also hold up and tuck your legs. I had trouble with this at first and ended up stopped in the middle of a zip line. At this point you are supposed to turn around and pull yourself in hand over hand. I was doing it, slowly, when one of the employees zipped out to me. He attached himself to my harness and pulled us both in. Kind of embarrassing. :o

So you do need some leg strength.

I zipped in Ketchikan. You hold your arms above your head (but the harness holds you) and you are supposed to also hold up and tuck your legs. I had trouble with this at first and ended up stopped in the middle of a zip line. At this point you are supposed to turn around and pull yourself in hand over hand. I was doing it, slowly, when one of the employees zipped out to me. He attached himself to my harness and pulled us both in. Kind of embarrassing. :o

So you do need some leg strength.

Exactly! It's more of a workout for your abdominal muscles from keeping your legs tucked up for the added momentum, but by no means do you have to be in tip top shape to do this excursion...just BRAVE!

Trudy

I also did the zipline in Ketchikan in 2006 and it was a blast! In fact I'm going back in June of this year to ride it again. The employees are great and will help you in any way if you need it. Go for it. You'll be glad you did!

Is there any risk to hurt the back or neck? DH have back pain issue. Is it too much?

You hang in a harness so your back is supported. You do need to be able to hold your legs up and tuck them and to be able to hold your arms up.

However, if you go to their website I don't think it is recommended if you have back issues. Personally, I think they are just covering themselves.

Is there any risk to hurt the back or neck? DH have back pain issue. Is it too much?

My DH had neck surgery 10 yrs. ago (he has been pain free since) and did this with no problems but he was hesitant. IMO, if you have current back pain issues...it's best to find something else to do. I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Trudy

Archived