New to Cruising- 1st timer Dining Q's

kmch

Cruising on the Dawn to Bermuda with 3 kids. Can you show up as many times as you want at the restaurants or are you limited to one breakfast, lunch and dinner per day? I ask because I see people posting about catching a 'snack' in one place or another and then going for a late dinner. Do they track how many times per day you're going in the restaurants? Also, can you take sandwiches or yogurt from the dining areas to bring with you when you go on shore at the port? Is this not allowed or just not good etiquette? Or is that totally accepted?

Thanks in Advance

Cruising on the Dawn to Bermuda with 3 kids. Can you show up as many times as you want at the restaurants or are you limited to one breakfast, lunch and dinner per day? I ask because I see people posting about catching a 'snack' in one place or another and then going for a late dinner. Do they track how many times per day you're going in the restaurants? Also, can you take sandwiches or yogurt from the dining areas to bring with you when you go on shore at the port? Is this not allowed or just not good etiquette? Or is that totally accepted?

Thanks in Advance

It's all allowed, if ya really like an entre, or desert, just ask for another:p , but I really don't think, if you go there hungry and eat all they bring you, you will have room for anymore...;)

Of course now, there are always those folks who grew up hungry:o and tend to pack all the bread and stuff in napkins and take them with them to the rooms, that's when it becomes embarassing!:eek:

Thanks in Advance

It's all allowed, if ya really like an entre, or desert, just ask for another:p , but I really don't think, if you go there hungry and eat all they bring you, you will have room for anymore...;)

Of course now, there are always those folks who grew up hungry:o and tend to pack all the bread and stuff in napkins and take them with them to the rooms, that's when it becomes embarassing!:eek:

We watched these two women on the Pride of Aloha, sitting beside us, they ate all their dinner, sampled, and finally ate all 3 desert selections and then complained to the waiter/waitress...It was so comical, we couldn't help but bust out laughing! Oink, Oink

Thanks in Advance

You can go as many times as you want in the restaurants (but you will have to pay twice if you go twice to a fee-speciality-restaurant).

As for taking sandwiches or yogourt ''to go'', you can definitely do it from the buffet (personnally, I wouldn't do it from the Dinning Rooms but it's probably just a personnal preference) BUT most ports won't allow you to bring food ashore (it's a customs problem, it's not that the ship don't want you to). You can usually bring bottled water or the like but meat, cheese, veggies and other food items are not allowed.

I hope this helps a little.

We just got off the Dawn on the 27th, and took food ashore with us when we were worried that none would be available at the beach we were going to. We ordered (free) room service in the morning and asked for 4 PBJ sandwiches that came with chips and grapes. I had brought ziplocs along, so we packed them into ziplocs and took them ashore. Worked perfectly for my 3 young children who I worried about giving 'beach' food to. They did not check any bags leaving the ship, even though you're not supposed to take fruit ashore.

Thanks for the replies. I'm asking mostly for my teen boys who have incredible appetites! They don't have to worry about fitting into their clothes!

I also have teen boys, who really enjoying going on a cruise. Partially it is because they stuff their face all day. They will eat a huge breakfast, then go to the dining room for lunch (I hate buffets) then my rotten children have been known to head to the Blue Lagoon for a mid afternoon burger. Then it is time to call the room service guy. Then dinner, with the youngest lad in the habit of ordering TWO meals. I didn't let him do that at Cagney's or Le Bistro. At Teppanyaki, the eldest ordered extra sushi to go with his steak and shrimps (lobster?) Then off again to the Blue Lagoon to see what's on offer. All this from my two, very active, slim lads. Not one server batted an eye. Mind you, my lads eat what they order and have excellent table manners. They also say 'please' and 'thank you' and tip the room service guy well. Oh yes, and I forgot about the poolside food area too...

You don't want to see my grocery bill.....

you just have to be careful taking food off the ship, many ports/islands/countries have agricultural laws against it. big fines, if they catch you. even in alaska, i had my purse checked...getting off the ship!

i attached a note that was in the daily newsletter....

any veggies and fruit are the big no-no. sometimes you see a big trash containers filled with items they had the tourist throw away.

i take prepacked crackers or snacks, just for this purpose.

fruit.jpg.bb8f63a67b6d3aa8caff7c7dc1818d42.jpg

• 2 years later...
We just got off the Dawn on the 27th, and took food ashore with us when we were worried that none would be available at the beach we were going to. We ordered (free) room service in the morning and asked for 4 PBJ sandwiches that came with chips and grapes. I had brought ziplocs along, so we packed them into ziplocs and took them ashore. Worked perfectly for my 3 young children who I worried about giving 'beach' food to. They did not check any bags leaving the ship, even though you're not supposed to take fruit ashore.

Why on earth would you be so disrespectful of the places you visit? Those laws are in place for a reason. You're not supposed to take fruit and other fresh foods ashore not to make things difficult for you or to make more money for local merchants, but to protect the agriculture and ecosystem. IMO, it's incredibly selfish to knowingly break the laws for our own convenience and then try to justify it because we're afraid of local food. If you're that concerned, then go back to the ship and eat there.

beachchick

p.s., Yes I realize that this thread is old. I was searching for something else and stumbled on it. The issue is still the same.

I also have teen boys, who really enjoying going on a cruise. Partially it is because they stuff their face all day. They will eat a huge breakfast, then go to the dining room for lunch (I hate buffets) then my rotten children have been known to head to the Blue Lagoon for a mid afternoon burger. Then it is time to call the room service guy. Then dinner, with the youngest lad in the habit of ordering TWO meals. I didn't let him do that at Cagney's or Le Bistro. At Teppanyaki, the eldest ordered extra sushi to go with his steak and shrimps (lobster?) Then off again to the Blue Lagoon to see what's on offer. All this from my two, very active, slim lads. Not one server batted an eye. Mind you, my lads eat what they order and have excellent table manners. They also say 'please' and 'thank you' and tip the room service guy well. Oh yes, and I forgot about the poolside food area too...

You don't want to see my grocery bill.....

My 4 boys were the same growing up and when we took two of them as young adults to Bermuda last year I think they ate their weight in food, but they had SO MUCH fun doing it!

Your boys should have a great time with all the choices and the food 23/7 on the ship. Enjoy your cruise...Bermuda is very beautiful!!

• 1 month later...

Lighten up Beachchick - this was three years ago when my children were toddlers and I didn't want them to eat food from a foreign country on a beach, so I took some pbj's along with. I don't think that qualifies as a reason that we needed to stay on the ship and not enjoy our vacation. And for the record, we brought all our leftover garbage back with us to dispose of properly. You call me incredibly selfish, I call you incredibly judgmental.

Lighten up Beachchick - this was three years ago when my children were toddlers and I didn't want them to eat food from a foreign country on a beach, so I took some pbj's along with. I don't think that qualifies as a reason that we needed to stay on the ship and not enjoy our vacation. And for the record, we brought all our leftover garbage back with us to dispose of properly. You call me incredibly selfish, I call you incredibly judgmental.

Sorry, I have to agree with Beachchick here. Bringing fruit or unpackaged food off the ship is not only disrespectful, but potentially you could singlehandedly cause an economic disaster for a country. There are reasons that bringing such items off the ship is against the law - it has nothing to do with wanting you to spend money in the port, it is because of pestilence and disease for native crops. If you doubt what could happen, just google "mediterranean fruit fly".

You could have just as easily picked up some prepackaged food for your toddlers.

Robin

Thanks in Advance

Most ports of call do not want you bringing fresh fruit ashore. Eat as much as you want in the restaurants. I just don't like seing people waste food. We were on the Wind in Hawaii and watched this couple sitting with us order everything off the menu, they would take a bite out of one dish and say they didn't like it and order something else. there was nothing wrong with the food they were just being wasteful. I see people graze the buffet all day long. Your kids will love it as there is always something they will like available. Enjoy and have a great time on your cruise.

Sorry, I have to agree with Beachchick here. Bringing fruit or unpackaged food off the ship is not only disrespectful, but potentially you could singlehandedly cause an economic disaster for a country. There are reasons that bringing such items off the ship is against the law - it has nothing to do with wanting you to spend money in the port, it is because of pestilence and disease for native crops. If you doubt what could happen, just google "mediterranean fruit fly".

You could have just as easily picked up some prepackaged food for your toddlers.

Robin

You've got to be kidding me. It was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, grapes and some chips. Get a life.

and if it's true that I could 'singlehandedly cause an economic disasater for a country' by bringing a few snacks onshore - then I really think NCL needs to start checking bags on the way off the boat. I can honestly say that in the four NCL cruises I've been on in the last 9 years, no one has ever checked my bag getting off. They're way more concerned with making sure you're not bringing booze back on!

Seems to me that it's highly unlikely that I could cause an economic disaster for a country if NCL doesn't care enough to prohibit it.

Let's not overreact here.

and if it's true that I could 'singlehandedly cause an economic disasater for a country' by bringing a few snacks onshore - then I really think NCL needs to start checking bags on the way off the boat. I can honestly say that in the four NCL cruises I've been on in the last 9 years, no one has ever checked my bag getting off. They're way more concerned with making sure you're not bringing booze back on!

Seems to me that it's highly unlikely that I could cause an economic disaster for a country if NCL doesn't care enough to prohibit it.

You're right... let's not overreact here and follow the rules and laws of the countries we are visiting and not bring in restricted foods. Either bring pre-packaged food, or go to the beach for a while and head back to the ship for your meal.

The proof is not on NCL to check your bag. If you're caught, you pay the fine, not NCL. NCL provides the rules so you are an informed cruiser.

It cracks me up the way some people overreact. You got one person actually bragging about breaking the law, but it's okay cause they had toddlers. Then, when someone else calls them on their behavior, they're the one who's told to get a life. But it all works out in the end because the whole thing gets blamed on the cruise line for not catching the person breaking the law.

Just my tongue in cheek way of looking at things.

and if it's true that I could 'singlehandedly cause an economic disasater for a country' by bringing a few snacks onshore - then I really think NCL needs to start checking bags on the way off the boat. I can honestly say that in the four NCL cruises I've been on in the last 9 years, no one has ever checked my bag getting off. They're way more concerned with making sure you're not bringing booz e back on!

So its ok to do illegal things as long as you don't get caught or its ok because they don't check.

Robin

But the prepackaged food wouldn't have been FREE :rolleyes:

People who smuggle food off do it for the same reason that people smuggle liquor on - they're cheap.

You've got to be kidding me. It was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, grapes and some chips. Get a life.

The grapes could have had a fruit fly or pest that would devastate the fruit crop of the island.

Those laws are there for a reason not other peoples convenience to break if they see fit to do so for there own selfish reasons.

I'm taking no sides here, but in another life I was a Customs Inspector at a major international airport when the US only had a half dozen or so major ports of entry. We would confiscate all fruits vegetables and meats. Whenever we encountered any, we would call the Dept of Agriculture Inspector over, and he would confiscate the food for the incinerator.

I questioned him once, and he brought me into the incineration room. He picked up some fruit from the bin, and cut it open. It was riddled with some sort of larvae that he said was not currently present in the US. He did the same to several other types of fruit. This was a long time ago, and I'm not an expert on the issue. Maybe folks from Florida or states that have the inspection stations in the southwest know exactly what the island countries are worried about.

It cracks me up the way some people overreact. You got one person actually bragging about breaking the law, but it's okay cause they had toddlers. Then, when someone else calls them on their behavior, they're the one who's told to get a life. But it all works out in the end because the whole thing gets blamed on the cruise line for not catching the person breaking the law.

Archived