Tahiti Travel Insurance ??

Alymo1

Hi,

I was just wondering about our travel insurance. We are booked on Tahitian Treasures 28 nights from Sydney. If something was to go wrong while we were located close to Tahiti do you think we could be taken to Hawaii or US for treatment????

Usually we would get travel insurance for the South Pacific but I wonder if we should get top cover as we will be so close to US. Especially knowing the US health price system.

Have contact P&O and they are unsure themselves and left it up to us to decide.

What do you think?????

Regards,

Simone & Robert.:rolleyes:

Alymo1 - you are no where near Hawaii when in Tahiti.

Papeete is 20 degrees south & Honolulu 20 degrees north latitude.

The distance between would be something like Hobart to Rabaul.

If the hospitals in Papeete [pop. nearly 100,000] could not give you European standard care I would be very suprised.

Brush up on your French.

I will be on W818 in June & I don't see any problem.

I am a Travel Agent in Syd & I would NEVER EVER travel ANYWHERE without travel insurance after being in the industry I have seen just about everything happen to my clients & it is very stressful for the ones that dont get it

Better to be safe than sorry

I am a Travel Agent in Syd & I would NEVER EVER travel ANYWHERE without travel insurance after being in the industry I have seen just about everything happen to my clients & it is very stressful for the ones that dont get it

Better to be safe than sorry

I don't think the OP has any intentions of travelling without insurance. He/she was just wondering whether or not to get insurance that covers US as well as Pacific.

Karen

Travel insurance covering the Pacific should be adequate. As has already been said, a serious medical emergency would be handled on shore in Tahiti. In an extreme case, you would be flown back to Australia. P & O are just covering themselves by not suggesting a particular insurance category. If they do, and you have a problem, you could blame them. This is a very wise course of action on the part of P & O.:)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

We do know some friends who have lived in Tahiti and they said some medical emergencies have been sent to the US. Some people in our traveling party have an existing heart condition and are concerned. So best be safe.

I would go for the worldwide or top travel ins just to be on the safe side,the little extra it costs would be money well spent if you did end up in the USA:eek:

I thought existing medical conditions were not covered by your travel ins anyway?

It can cost a small fortune to medi vac sombody by air as you need many seats,nurse,doctor ect that is without hospital priority costs in both countries.

It happened to friends of ours in Crete Greece after being run off the road and they didnt have adequate ins,not all countries give the same medical treatment as Australia and after being stiched up without anesthetic and told you may have to loose your leg they were on a medi vac to London,this cost a lot of money and took their family a time to pay off and that was only a short flight.

Den

Archived