Will text messaging work on Spirit

NolaGirl99

We leave Sunday with our 16 year old daughter in tow!! She is having a fit over being unavailable to her friends for a week--we have strictly forbidden phone calls (the roaming rates are just toooooooo high). We have not told her that texting may be available. Am I correct that there are no roaming charges on texts. (We are with Alltel.) Personally I think she should enjoy some quality time with her parents! So I may not tell her even if she can text. I would still like to know for my own interests (the dog etc.) at home.

Be careful!! My DS ran up a$1000 internet bill:eek: :eek: He complained about the same thing (being unavailable to his friends:rolleyes: ) I got him texting someone during one of the shows and took his cell phone away. You may be better off just taking the phone away and tell her that even if someone calls her it could cost you a lot of money;)

I called Alltel. I was told NO charge for roaming on texts. So I said soooo "It will be free to text on the ship?" ANSWER-- "Yes, maam if you have unlimited texting which I see you do, we never charge a roaming fee for texting."

However,she had no idea how much international roaming fees were (in the event we had to make an emergency phone call). She said she never heard of a phone working on a cruise ship!!!! So how in the world could she be so sure the texting would be free!!!!! She gave me the the international number-he tried to rent me a phone for international use-- No, I tried to explain-- never heard of it he said.

I quit. All the phones stay home except my husband's which we will only use in the event of emergency. It it will just be anybody 's guess how much it will cost. His does not have internet so it should not be $1000.00! (That is why I won't take mine it connects all the time without me knowing it--but it is free at home!)

P.S. While my dog is above average in many areas she is not really good at text messaging. She is being boarded at the vet for a day before we leave until a day after we come home because of the Sunday departures. She usually does not eat and is very sad the entire time we are gone. It would be nice to call or text to check on her. If it is really bad I could send MIL to pick her up early.

She can text but check out the rates from Alltel- not free

http://www.wirelessatsea.com/endusers.htm#custinfo

Thank you I found everything I needed to know on this link. $2.49 a minute plus tolls and voice only on Alltel! NO data, texting etc. ATT offers it all! (50cents a text) I can't believe my choices are so limited on Alltel. I am really annoyed. I knew I should have gotten the iphone!

We are taking my DD who is 14 and she's leaving her phone at home, not taking any chances. Plus she's bringing her best friend so they don't need to talk to anyone at home. The friend will bring her phone so she can call her parents before and after the cruise. The first time we took the kids, my oldest was 15 and we allowed her some time in the internet cafe and she was good about staying within her limit that we set. It just meant no other souvenir purchases if that's what she chose to do.

We leave Sunday with our 16 year old daughter in tow!! She is having a fit over being unavailable to her friends for a week--we have strictly forbidden phone calls (the roaming rates are just toooooooo high). We have not told her that texting may be available. Am I correct that there are no roaming charges on texts. (We are with Alltel.) Personally I think she should enjoy some quality time with her parents! So I may not tell her even if she can text. I would still like to know for my own interests (the dog etc.) at home.

Alltel will not charge you (depending on your plan), but NCL will so you should plan on no text.

We have a 16 year old DD, so I sympathize. My advice: give her a choice - a cruise to new and exciting places, but incommunicado to the friends, or stay at home with grandma for a week. I can tell you which she'll pick. Unless grandma lives near the boyfriend.

Anyway, if you have a US roaming plan, and visit Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, calls and texts will be regular under your plan (probably free.) That's the only place our cell phone EVER comes on.

Word to the wise, lock the phone in the safe and don't give DD access.

You can always hit the internet cafes in port and they are very reasonable. Email and IM are available but no phone or text message.

Poor thing, cruising without text messages. Must be like the old dark ages of cruising before there was no satellite TV. The shame!!:D

I think it depends on where you are cruising to and what phone service you have. On one of our cruises, to the Western caribbean, my son had AT&T and he could text constantly, on the ship and off the ship. When we got home, there were no extra charges.

This last cruise to Eastern caribean, and with TMobile he could not text or even make a phone call.(no service) until we got to ST Thomas. When we got home, there were no additional charges for the texting. He was so mad for almost the whole cruise. What is wrong with these kids today... It must be us parents. lol

Archived