Completely Depressed & Frustrated...HELP!

Brenda33

Hi everyone...Well I'm back on the horse today. I may have had the Red Robin slip and Saturday....but I'm back in the groove ready to lose more weight....and tone up!!! I think that is so important....the way we actually look with the weight we have on us.

I'm making the cauliflower tonight with grilled chicken.......I'll let you know how it turns out.

Have a great day everyone.

I don’t think your Red Robin thing was a slip up. You planned for this event, planned to deviate from your normal new eating habits. You kept to your plan and therefore you were successful. Geez, if it was me I would not beat myself up over this.

This also happens to me; all of a sudden out of no where I get really hungry. It is just not a lack of willpower or saying “no” but I am just really hungry. I don’t know what brings it on because my exercise regiment is fairly constant. I do listen to my body and increase my calories, to the point that physically I feel alright. The way I look at it is that if I am really hungry and resisting what my body is telling me, this will set me up for failure.

Do you eat something before your work outs? I usually have a lo-fat yogurt to give me the energy I need for the workout. I also eat throughout the day in small portions. This might help your hunger thing.

Continuing on with the way you have been going can only do great things for your self esteem and go figure, might help you through whatever other issues you are dealing with.

Smooth..... It does suck when you are hungry and you know its not just willpower!! It was really bugging me!!! I think I did really well today....I think I spread my food around....I had 1 cup fiber cereal (13 grams fiber) with 1/2 cup skim milk before my workout. I had 1 cup homemade bean soup at lunch....and 2 small snacks today....a pear and 5 almonds. Dinner tonight is grilled chicken and mashed cauliflower and side salad. I am sitting here really hungry waiting for dinner. I wonder if I should be this hungry with all I ate today. I worked out for 1 hour and 15 minutes today.

Since self-esteem seems to be my problem, you may be right about it helping in all aspects of my life.....

Brenda, you are NOT eating enough. You've taken in about 500 calories. I'm estimating cereal =120, milk =45, soup=200, pear=80, almonds=60. Add to that the cauliflower(50, depending on what you add it), and chicken at 150, you're starving yourself. You're more active now - you need to eat more.

Chi....This is basically how I have been eating since I started dieting. Only now I am eating MORE!! I never had the piece of fruit, etc. during the day. I am so afraid to eat more for fear of not losing weight. I mean as it is I only lost 11 pounds in 5 weeks. Sometimes I have popcorn that I pop on the stove (not microwave stuff) for a snack at night. It feels like I am eating alot...but its not really.

Well let me tell you about how yummy the cauliflower was!! I believe it was Menina with the idea...if I'm wrong sorry whoever it was. Anyhow, I steamed the cauliflower with scallions.....I mashed it up with a couple sprays of that I can't believe its not butter spray (the calorie free kind) and a tablespoon of light (2.5 grams of fat per serving) of sourcream and salt and pepper. IT WAS DELISH!!!!! Of course I asked DH if he liked it and he said "it tastes like cauliflower!"....whatever...I thought it had a similar taste to a mashed potato, but of course u can still taste cauliflower a bit. But, I LIKE cauliflower....it was the texture that was great.....just like yummy mashed potatoes!

Chi....This is basically how I have been eating since I started dieting. Only now I am eating MORE!! I never had the piece of fruit, etc. during the day. I am so afraid to eat more for fear of not losing weight. I mean as it is I only lost 11 pounds in 5 weeks. Sometimes I have popcorn that I pop on the stove (not microwave stuff) for a snack at night. It feels like I am eating alot...but its not really.

11 pounds in 5 weeks is awesome! That's over two pounds a week. You shouldn't lose any more than that. It sounds counter-intuitive, but you need to eat more. Remember my story? I wasn't eating enough, when I uppped my food intake, I lost 2 pounds. And yes, I really did lose them; my scale was playing tricks on me last week. Smooth is right - you need to listen to your body. If your body is telling you it's hungry, eat!

I second this! Brenda, for as much execerising you say you are doing, you of course are going to get hungry. I think the answer might be a little bit more protein, which always staves off hunger. In the mornign I would suggest eating a little steel cut oats...a 1/4 dry makes 1/2 cup cooked, which is a serving size..but they also have like 6 grams of protein and a lot of fiber. If I eat a bowl at 6 am I am stuffed, literally, until noon time. I dont think the Red Robin thing was a slip up..you planned what you were going to do,right? That's different then just saying to hell with it and pigging out.

I mentioned this before, but check out this website...http://www.stewsmith.com ..it has guidelines for eating when you are doing heavy workouts.

I went to MIL's last night..she made stewed turkey legs..I swore I was eating beef...somehow she had the butcher cut the legs into chunks and then she brown-stewed them...the meat fell of the bone and it tasted just like beef. Had that with some plain rice and a salad..perfect meal!

Brenda, you are NOT eating enough. You've taken in about 500 calories. I'm estimating cereal =120, milk =45, soup=200, pear=80, almonds=60. Add to that the cauliflower(50, depending on what you add it), and chicken at 150, you're starving yourself. You're more active now - you need to eat more.

Good morning.....

Yes, I am working out as much as I say I am. Ask my sore body. On average its between 1 hour and 1 hour and 15 minutes daily, except nothing on Saturday and only an ab workout on Sunday. What are steel oats? Do you mean oatmeal???? The turkey dinner sounds very yummy. I don't normally like the dark meat though....but when you describe it it sounds great.

OK, apparently, I suck and I am destined to be fat.....I GAINED a pound! I didn't weigh myself since Friday and I was 132 and now I am 133!!! I know I had the extra cheat with Red Robin....I guess I expected to just not lose any weight...but never thought I would gain!! I try so hard. I mean I couldn't get to the gym on Friday because of the snow and I still killed myself on the stationery bike!! I had such a great week last week, that this is a huge let down. Its weird you would think I would be more motivated when I am not doing well....but for me its the opposite....I feel like I am wasting my time.

Alright, time to get it together.....Have a great day.

Brenda:

You are SO lucky that I am in Miami and you are in New Jersey becuase I'd kick your butt six weeks into the next fiscal year for saying what you just said about being DESTINED to be fat....I 'supposed you're right, you are destined to be fat if you keep thinking like that. That's why a lot of people probably fail on diets or in anything. Shrinks call it "self defeating behavior". So if you choose to think like that, then you forfeit your right to complain.

Ok..you've heard of water weight, sodium, and daily weight fluctuations right? If not, read up on it. Nobody said you have to diet perfectly or weigh the same everyday. Natural body biorhtyms also contribute to weight fluctuations. Wait until you plateu and don't lose any weight at alll for awhile..then how are you going to handle it?

Steel cut oats...like oatmeal..actually more like Irish oatmeal..can buy in bulk section of better grocery stores or health food stores..I'm not talking about instant oatmeal with all the garbage in it. Oprah Winfrey swears by them and so do I.

The turkey legs..I really did think I was eating beef until I saw the tureky bones..I'll ask her how she made them but they are real cheap to make and turkey is so good for you.

Keep riding that horse girl!! Menina

Good morning.....

Yes, I am working out as much as I say I am. Ask my sore body. On average its between 1 hour and 1 hour and 15 minutes daily, except nothing on Saturday and only an ab workout on Sunday. What are steel oats? Do you mean oatmeal???? The turkey dinner sounds very yummy. I don't normally like the dark meat though....but when you describe it it sounds great.

OK, apparently, I suck and I am destined to be fat.....I GAINED a pound! I didn't weigh myself since Friday and I was 132 and now I am 133!!! I know I had the extra cheat with Red Robin....I guess I expected to just not lose any weight...but never thought I would gain!! I try so hard. I mean I couldn't get to the gym on Friday because of the snow and I still killed myself on the stationery bike!! I had such a great week last week, that this is a huge let down. Its weird you would think I would be more motivated when I am not doing well....but for me its the opposite....I feel like I am wasting my time.

Alright, time to get it together.....Have a great day.

OK, calm down. This is not a big deal, and it may not even be a real gain. Your weight is going to fluctuate based on time of day, time of the month, even how you're standing on the scale. You do NOT suck.

Just for perspective, I've lost 15 pounds in 7 weeks. That's about the same rate as you've been losing. I'm 5'4", so we're about the same height. Obviously, everybody is different, but this is a typical day for me. I'm working out 1 hour - 1.5 hours 6 or 7 days a week - high intensity cardio along with weights and abs.

Breakfast

Small banana, 2 whole wheat waffles, drizzle of sugar free syrup OR egg-beater omelet with ham and pepper

Mid-morning

WW yogurt, 1 cup strawberries

Lunch

Roast beef, ham, or turkey sandwich on whole wheat with lettuce, mixed veggies (tomato, cucumber, carrots), string cheese

Afternoon before workout

Apple, popcorn

Dinner

Baked chicken, veggies sauteed in olive oil, skim milk

Dessert

WW ice cream sandwich, or 1/2 cup sorbet or ice cream, or 2 small cookies, or baked chips and salsa

I eat all this, and I'm losing weight - at the same rate you are. I do not feel deprived - this is definitely maintainable long-term. Notice I have dessert at the end - I allow myself a treat - I have the points available, and I get my sweet fix.

Its so funny...well not really funny....but in the morning when I get on the scale and its not so good, like today, I feel totally depressed and I want to give up. BUT...then I go to Curves, speak with the instructor and work my butt off and I feel so good and say "nothing or noone is going to stop me in losing this weight!". I guess its true what they say about exercise helping with depression and moods. I will have to look for the steel oats....I'd like to give it a try...sounds very healthy. Chi...I can't believe you eat so much compared to me!! I guess I'm afraid to try eating more for fear I will gain weight and then I have that much further to go:confused:. This whole thing is so confusing!!! Menina....I wish sometimes you were here to kick my butt! LOL guess we all need a little push now and again. If you get the turkey recipe please post it. In any case, the scale sucked today....not me....I'm praying it gets better! I fear the plateau!! I had a week of that already and I hated it!!!

No, trust me...you don't wish I was where you are! :)

I'll ask my "moomie in law" about the turkey legs..she is Jamaican..so I'm guessing it's cooked like brown stew fish or something. Hey, if she can make turkey taste like beef then we might be onto something.

Brenda..I think you need to limit the scale to one day per week.

The exercise does help with the mood and everything. I was in a funk this morning myself and my dear friend stopped over with a small gift and a card..and told me several times she woke up and felt the need to pray for me. Now that's a REAL friend!

Its so funny...well not really funny....but in the morning when I get on the scale and its not so good, like today, I feel totally depressed and I want to give up. BUT...then I go to Curves, speak with the instructor and work my butt off and I feel so good and say "nothing or noone is going to stop me in losing this weight!". I guess its true what they say about exercise helping with depression and moods. I will have to look for the steel oats....I'd like to give it a try...sounds very healthy. Chi...I can't believe you eat so much compared to me!! I guess I'm afraid to try eating more for fear I will gain weight and then I have that much further to go:confused:. This whole thing is so confusing!!! Menina....I wish sometimes you were here to kick my butt! LOL guess we all need a little push now and again. If you get the turkey recipe please post it. In any case, the scale sucked today....not me....I'm praying it gets better! I fear the plateau!! I had a week of that already and I hated it!!!

Seriously, the first 11 came so easy. Then I stalled for 3 weeks. I picked up my food intake, and the weight started coming off again. And, my goal weight is the same as yours, so we're about the same height and weight. Menina is right - limit the scale to one day a week. I didn't even own one until a few weeks ago. The scale at the gym broke, and they haven't fixed it yet. Now I have to resist weighing myself every day!

It's actually steel CUT oats. They have a different texture than regular oats, and you may have to look at a different grocer for them. I've only used them in recipes, but here is more info if you want. I just eat regular old oatmeal...but I love the stuff! :p

http://www.netrition.com/mccanns_oats_page.html

I agree about the scale - you can't let every little fluctuation bother you. I see them all the time since I weigh every day. I was 142.4 on Friday, went away for the weekend, and today I was 143. But no biggie...I don't really consider anything a "gain" or "loss" until I've been there at least a week.

So many many different factors contribute to that number on the scale...so ease up on the self-mutilation. :D You are doing great!!

I will look for the steel cut oats. I read the website and the texture thing really interests me. I wonder if Trader Joes would have them? I have to go there for balsamic vinegar anyhow.

Well I think I ate very well. I made stuffed peppers....with ground turkey breast....the 99% fat free one....and lima beans and a side salad.

Well I'll try to not get on the scale as often...once a week....?...that may be pushing it. LOL

Hmm..I thought I did say steel cut oats in my post..which is way different than regular oatmeal..the closest thing I've seen to it is Irish oatmeal which was in England but may be around here..not sure. They take a little longer to cook too than regular oats...but I like them alot for the protein in them.

Brenda: you need to stop being so hard on yourself. You can't flip out every time the scale fluctuates because if you do, I really think sooner or later you're going to say f*** it and then go back to the old ways. It's always easier to get fat because we don't stop and think about what we're doing and stuff ourselves, but now your really forced to think about what your doing and the reality is you probably feel bad about what you did to GET unhealthy and who likes to face a painful reality?

You didn't gain your weight overnight, you can't expect to lose it over night. All the reserach I've ever seen says that most people keep it off WHEN they go slowly and for some that may only be 1 lb per week. You're doing very well, but if this is going to work for you it's more beneficial to be "kind" to yourself. All of us are real good at beating ourselves up. I thought of you Sunday night, I actually had a hamburger at Sonic...with onion rings nonethless..it tasted HORRIBLE and I was sick to my stomach and bloated until yesterday. What a waste and a dissapointment.

Keep up the good work!i

It's actually steel CUT oats. They have a different texture than regular oats, and you may have to look at a different grocer for them. I've only used them in recipes, but here is more info if you want. I just eat regular old oatmeal...but I love the stuff! :p

http://www.netrition.com/mccanns_oats_page.html

I agree about the scale - you can't let every little fluctuation bother you. I see them all the time since I weigh every day. I was 142.4 on Friday, went away for the weekend, and today I was 143. But no biggie...I don't really consider anything a "gain" or "loss" until I've been there at least a week.

So many many different factors contribute to that number on the scale...so ease up on the self-mutilation. :D You are doing great!!

Ok..here is the basic recipe but she didn't use beeer, used water. I didn't realize they were braised. I'm going to try it this weekend in the pressure cooker.

1/4 cup olive oil

2 pounds turkey legs, cut crosswise by your butcher osso bucco-style (about 4 to 6 legs)

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup small dice onion

1/2 cup small dice carrot

1/2 cup small dice celery

1/4 cup small dice leeks

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 tablespoon minced green onion, white part only

2 teaspoons minced ginger

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 (12-ounce) bottles Guinness beer

1 1/2 cups veal stock or low sodium canned beef broth

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven and heat over medium heat until hot. Season the turkey with the salt and pepper. Add half of the turkey legs to the pan and cook until well browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Set the seared turkey legs on a platter once browned and repeat with the remaining turkey legs. Once all the turkey legs are browned, add the onions, carrots and celery to the pan. Saute the vegetables until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the leeks, garlic, green onions and ginger to the pan and saute for 1 minute, stirring often. Add the tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to combine. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add the Guinness to the Dutch oven and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring the Guinness to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Add the stock and allspice, stir, and return the turkey legs to the pan. Return the pan to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and continue to cook the turkey legs until tender, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove the lid, and stir the chopped parsley into the pan. Serve immediately over steamed white rice.

the closest thing I've seen to it is Irish oatmeal which was in England but may be around here..not sure. They take a little longer to cook too than regular oats...but I like them alot for the protein in them.

I think the nutrition is the same for regular oats and steel cut. The texture is the only real difference, and that's why many people prefer them. Irish oats is indeed the same thing. :)

Another of my favorite breakfasts is eggbeaters, with a slice of 2% cheese on top. Lots of protein there!! Sometimes I'll add a slice or two of bacon instead...yum!

I have come down with an awful cold...and I have NO appetite at all. I did make myself go to the gym and do 35 min of cardio today...and I felt so much better afterwards, so I am glad I did. But now I'm sitting here with a box of kleenex and drinking water...sure hope I feel better tomorrow! :-(

Happy....Hope u feel better!!! I keep thinking that I hope I don't get sick as that would mess up my working out. Its great that you pushed through and went to the gym!!!

M....Thanks for the recipe. One question....turkey legs have alot more fat than turkey breast, so I wouldn't have thought of this as a healthy recipe????

They do sell Irish Oatmeal here! My sisters boyfriend is originally from the UK, eats it every AM!!

auhhh.. hope you feel better soon Happy. My husband also has that killer cold or something all week and is quite unhappy!

Another one of my fav recipies:

I flower chicken breasts and brown them in a little butter. Slice a half of lemon very thin, place on top of the chicken, brocolli, mushrooms and garlic and simmer for a half hour in chicken broth. The lemon gives it a little kick and they come out so tender..... Easy and fast to make and really yummy.

Well, they might, but braising, so I'm told, is a good way to cook to eliminate fat..I'm not an expert on that but have read about that in a cookbook or two.

Even so, it's like anything..if it has fat in it you have to be careful. They say that "low fat" isn't really always low fat and sometimes to replace the fat they add other nasty things to the food (i.e, more sugar, sodium, presrevatives) so it's a trade off. I'd still rather have a smaller portion of something that tastes really good and has full fat, versus a bigger portion of something fat free with garbage chemicals in it.

Some other grains I like are couscous (but you can only eat a little) and quinona. I do try, though, for the most part to stay away from wheat and gluten as that what really makes me gain weight.

Happy....Hope u feel better!!! I keep thinking that I hope I don't get sick as that would mess up my working out. Its great that you pushed through and went to the gym!!!

M....Thanks for the recipe. One question....turkey legs have alot more fat than turkey breast, so I wouldn't have thought of this as a healthy recipe????

Happy, do you ever eat quinona? It's not oatmeal but I've had meatless "patties" out of it..that has a ton of fiber so you have to be careful.

I had boiled green bananas and some ginger tea this morning. Sounds nasty to you guys probably but very delicious with a little cinnamon!

I think the nutrition is the same for regular oats and steel cut. The texture is the only real difference, and that's why many people prefer them. Irish oats is indeed the same thing. :)

Another of my favorite breakfasts is eggbeaters, with a slice of 2% cheese on top. Lots of protein there!! Sometimes I'll add a slice or two of bacon instead...yum!

I have come down with an awful cold...and I have NO appetite at all. I did make myself go to the gym and do 35 min of cardio today...and I felt so much better afterwards, so I am glad I did. But now I'm sitting here with a box of kleenex and drinking water...sure hope I feel better tomorrow! :-(

Happy, do you ever eat quinona? It's not oatmeal but I've had meatless "patties" out of it..that has a ton of fiber so you have to be careful.

I had boiled green bananas and some ginger tea this morning. Sounds nasty to you guys probably but very delicious with a little cinnamon!

I don't think I've ever even heard of quinona. Is is sold in the cereal section? What does it taste like? I am all for good nutrition, but if it doesn't taste good....I won't eat it! :( Of course, I eat stuff now that I never thought I would 10 years ago...amazing what we can train ourselves to like!!

Archived