NEED ADVICE: 4 Guys in their 20s/30s & R Family Vacation?

dyad1978

We are 4 single gay guys from nyc, and planning on a vacation in March to somewhere warm...carribean, mexico, etc. We want to go on a gay or gay-friendly cruise and came across Rosie O'Donells R Family cruise on Holland America's Ooterdam leaving 03/15/08.

I know it's geared towards gay families, and just wondering if 4 single gay guys would have a good time on this ship. We are not hardcore partiers, but looking to meet other guys our age, dance at night, socialize, etc.

Is this cruise ship totally wrong for us?

And if so, do you have any alternate recommendations for cruise vacation plans.

Thank you so much,

Dan from new york.

Hi guys,

Not sure if Rosie's cruise is good for you. That cruise of often has family so kids and their parents.

Having said that, the ship is very large and there is bound to have a variety of passenger, etc.

Given your age and single, I wonder if a Atlantis or RSVP cruise is better suited for you guys. Those type of cruises are more "circuit party" like but again, you don't have to do that type of partier if you don't want to. There is enough going on to keep you occupy. Plus there would be thousands of gay guys there.

If the idea of a ship full of naked, horny guys don't appeal to you, I think just a regular cruise would be a wonderful holiday. There are bound to be gay guys on any given cruise and you have a better flexibility about the ports you will visit.

It sounds like the cruise is more geared to families, and although we are not the circuit party types, we are looking for somewhat of a nightlife,

and ability to socialize with other single gay guys our age.

Thanks again for your response, and if anyone has additional suggestions, that would be great.

Dan from new york

I think if you're considering the RFV cruise, you should go for it. Especially the March cruise. This cruise is not sold out and it seems that there will be a lot fewer children on this one. It's also the P Flag cruise, so there will be a larger percentage of straight but family-friendly folks on board. Quite possibly some with single, gay children your age who are going along as support.

We'll be there (lesbian couple with no kids) and I've heard of quite a few singles (men and women) and others with no kids going. They also organize meet-ups for singles and various other groups.

There are tons of activities on board and fabulous night-time entertainment (comedians, Cyndi Lauper, etc.). It's not the Atlantis party crowd, but there will plenty going on! After all, we're headed to Mexico, land of Tequila. :D

I say go for it. Hopefully, we'll see you on board!

I've never been on a "R Family Vacation", however, if you're considering the age group of people onboard. There's another thing to keep in mind. This cruise is sailing the week of Spring Break (most of the colleges and universities have that week, more than 50%). Whether or not they have their families in toe is another issue. Don't know if this helps but I saw the date and thought about it myself until I realized it was on the WEST COAST! :(

I suggest that you try it. My partner and I cruised on the Rosie cruise out of New York this past July. It was our first cruise with R Family. We have no kids but loved the entire experience. We were worried about so many families but the entire atmosphere on board was just great. Everyone is so friendly towards each other. No cliques.

We are going on the Oosterdam next month and can't wait. Yes there are kids on board but IMHO the parents do such an amazing job that they are not a bother. The entertainment is first rate as Rosie hand picks the entertainers.

"Rosie O'Donnell, Shoshana Bean (Wicked), Seth Rudetsky (The Ritz) and "Broadway Chatterbox"), Cyndi Lauper (recording star, Broadway's Threepenny Opera), Kevin Chamberlin (The Ritz), Marya Grandy, Brian Nash, Holly Cruikshank, Anne Steele, Ant, Jessica Kirson, Ross the Intern from "The Tonight Show" and Julie Goldman. An R Family Vacations employee confirms more stars will be announced shortly."

There is plenty to do for the adults that is not geared towards families.

There is no dress code the entire week and the dining room is open seating.

If I can answer any further questions just let me know.

Hey guys,

I think you'd be better off on an Atlantis or RSVP cruise. My partner and I went on the first Rosie cruise and it was fun but we wouldn't do it again unless we had kids. The boat was mostly lesbians and their kids...very few single guys and while they did have dancing at night, things seemed to peeter out after midnight. The entertainment was great, though, if you are into Broadway stuff. She brings a lot of broadway stars on the ship. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I would second (or third) the Atantis/RSVP advice. We're not heavy partiers either and we took our first Atlantis cruise last year and loved it. While Atlantis does host parties (many that go into the early morning) it is not the "floating bathhouse on the sea" that many non-Atlantis/RSVP cruisers think it is. That being said, the January Atlantis cruise does have a more "party" type atmosphere, however, it had almost 4000 gay men aboard and there was something for everyone. Oh, there are NO children aboard these cruises either.

The March cruise on Atlantis is sold out but some rooms may open up you'd have to give them a call. We did the March last year and then the January this year and we are going back to the March cruise next year. We liked the smaller ship (2,300 vs 3800) and the fact that when you return home it's almost spring.

We are 4 single gay guys from nyc, and planning on a vacation in March to somewhere warm...carribean, mexico, etc. We want to go on a gay or gay-friendly cruise and came across Rosie O'Donells R Family cruise on Holland America's Ooterdam leaving 03/15/08.

I know it's geared towards gay families, and just wondering if 4 single gay guys would have a good time on this ship. We are not hardcore partiers, but looking to meet other guys our age, dance at night, socialize, etc.

Is this cruise ship totally wrong for us?

And if so, do you have any alternate recommendations for cruise vacation plans.

Thank you so much,

Dan from new york.

I hope you guys have fun, just as an aside, as a single guy myself hesitant about going on a gay cruise by myself, it would be so nice to find a bunch of single guys to do this with, you guys are so lucky!

Happy cruising...AND CRUISIN' :p

• 3 weeks later...

Archived