Cayo Levantado? Catalina Island? Are they different?

TravelinTchr

I need a little bit of help with the Dominican Republic geography, here. I've been reading various posts on Catalina Island and on Cayo Levantado. Are they different islands, or are they the same with two different names? I had contacted the Guzmans at Casa Dorado regarding their tours, and they replied back to me that they were unfamiliar with "Catalina Island", and indicated that it may have been Cayo Levantado of which I was inquiring. Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to do some homework before making any concrete plans for our cruise. :p

Thanks for any help, anybody can provide.

Melinda

Hi Melinda,

They are different islands. Cayo is off the coast of Samana on the Atlantic side and Catalina is off the coast of La Romana on the Caribbean Sea side...

I could very well be wrong the Guzmans may only service the Samana side of the island.

I guess it depends on where your ship docks...

Good luck!

Dear Sandyrella,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your quick reply and your gracious help! The cruise at which we are looking actually stops at Samana. The pictures that I have seen of Catalina Island look gorgeous, but don't know if we would really have enough time to get from Samana to Romana, and then to Catalina Island. I've been looking at Playa Rincon, as well, and it seems that it might be the thing to do if we don't do the ship's excursion to Caya.

Thanks again so much for your info!

Melinda

Archived