New cruiser Question

lp1980

I want to book a private excursion for Stingray City, but I have no idea how long it will take us to get off the ship.

We will be on Legend. I don't understand how it works when disembarking. Can anyone explain this to me and help me out? I'd sure appreciate it. Like is it best to book a couple hours after getting into port or when?

lu

We always use Captain Marvin's for our snorkeling. You reserve a spot now, with a credit card, and when you're at their place, you can either pay with a credit card or cash. They are located about 2 or 3 blocks to the left of the tender area. It's a very short walk.

http://www.captainmarvins.com

Our first time being on Grand Cayman was on the Triumph (we now do land vacations there because we loved it so much). We were in port from 7-4:30, I believe. We also were there in the winter, so island time and ship were the same (Grand Cayman doesn't observe daylight savings). We were off the ship by 7:45 or so, but we ended up doing a island tour first, and then after that, we did the snorkel tour.

Usually, the ships allow those that book excursions through them off first. The other people are told to go to a certain lounge to get a tender ticket. On our cruise, people just joined us as we walked to the tenders even though they weren't with the excursion.

Depending on how long you're in port, and what you're looking to do for the day...I'd probably consider doing a short snorkel tour (a couple of hours or so) and then have them drop you at 7MB, and then just grab a cab back to the port, or eat lunch and do some shopping.

Our ship was leaving at 4:30 and the last tender was at 3:45. Just make sure you're back in the tender line and they won't leave you behind. We got to the tender line around 3:00 and it was LONG. I wished we would have wait another 20 minutes or so, or gotten in line a little earlier.

Also, whoever you book with should be able to tell you what excursion should work the best for you. Ruth or Joan at Captain Marvin's can help you with this. Although we've not used any of the other companies mentioned on this forum, I would imagine they would be able to tell you the same thing. This is what they do for a living, and I've not read a single post where anyone was given bad information.

We have always booked snorkeling with sting rays through Native Way Watersports. (http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/)

We've used them about three or four times. We book through e-mail and pay after the excursion. They meet you right where the tender comes in. We book their first one of the day, which used to be around 9:00. Try to be on the first tender and you shouldn't have a problem.

On some ships you have go the main theater and wait in line to get them. We usually go right after breakfast...eat as early as possible and then go get our tickets. Take with you whatever you're taking off the ship so you can go right from getting your ticket to the tender. The last time we were there (and I don't even remember which ship we were on) they had two tenders leaving at the same times. What ship will you be on?

We just got back from our 1st cruise with NCL we got into port at 10am and had reserved the 11:40 snorkeling with Moby Dicks you have to check in 40 minutes before but don't worry if you are a few minutes late. Someone for us it was Gary was standing there when we got off and called Amy on the cell and told her we were on our way down to check in.

Just an FYI they do not take credit cards , they got burned by some very dishones people so cash only. When you email them they will email you a confirmation back just print it and take it with you, thats what I did. It's $35 per person if you prebook with them, very reasonible(sp)

They trip was wonderful, Nick and Billy were so much fun my husband and I had a great time. It was such a neat experience I was happy we chose them. You will definately not be disappointed by their service. We were very luck only 20 people on the boat and only about 15 got in the water with the rays. Snorkeling was a lot of fun also, lots of fish and even an eel or too

You might ask over on the cruise line board how tendering works for that particular ship. Like Terre said, some ships require a tender ticket unless you've booked an excursion though the ship. Sometimes you can just bypass the tender ticket and scoot on down to the tender area (even though they say you should get one). You might try and find someone who's been on your ship and find out what the exact procedure is.

I personally think it stinks that those that purchase an excursion through the ship should be the first ones off. The cruise lines are just trying to get you to buy their excursions, which are almost always more expensive that the ones you book on your own.

Another thing you might do is try and find out how many ships will be visiting the island the day you are. Here's GC's port authority board. You can look up the date and see how many ships will be in port with you. The fewer the better.

http://www.caymanport.com/schedule.htm

The tendering process went pretty quickly for us. The tenders are pretty big and they scoot back and forth at regular intervals. If you find out you absolutely need a tender ticket, then I'd get to the designated area and get in the first group. Usually they have you go to one of the bigger lounges for this.

I know that when you're on Carnival if you go to the purser's desk the night before with your confirmation for your tour (I'm talking chiefly independent tours here) and tell them you need to be off the ship early due to an early tour they'll either give you a) priority tender tickets or b) tell you where to go so that you'll be on one of the first tenders.

If you're doing a Carnival excursion you'll receive instructions as to where to go and when, when you receive your excursion tix.

I, too, will be on the Legend. I'm going in April and this is what I've been told.

For Belize I know that especially if you've booked an independent Cave Tubing if you go to the Pursers with your confirmation and let them know that's what you're doing they should just tell you to go to the lounge where the cave tubing excursion is leaving and you just have to tell them 'yes I'm doing cave tubing'. Of course once off you can go to your ind. operator.

Archived