How rough are the waters for a Baltic cruise

Hi,

I'm considering a 12 night Baltic cruise on NCL Jewel (97K tonnes) out of London in late May. I do suffer from motion sickness and my only cruise experience has been on a much larger ship (RCL Voyager 140K tonnes) in western Caribbean waters in January. On that cruise I was taking anti-nausea drugs and felt just a bit off but mostly mild enough to not be too much of a bother.

How to the Baltic waters compare? Should I be really worried with the smaller ship?

Thanks

I am surprised that sometimes people seem to start new threads without first taking a look at all the information that is already available. And I don’t mean old threads from last year even if there is a lot of useful information there too. But of recent threads. On January 21 a thread was started here with the same question as above. It was kindly answered by Danish Viking. If there are more questions on the same subject it is better to post them in the thread that has already been started.

Anyway, there is no guaranty that any sea will always be calm, but normally the Baltic is more or less calm during the late spring and summer months. From late September and through the autumn storms are not unusual. But if your cruise starts in London you will have to cross the North Sea, where the waters may be rough even during summer. If you suffer from motion sickness a Baltic cruise starting and ending in Copenhagen or Stockholm may be a better choice for you. That way you would avoid crossing the North Sea.

It's a kind of ridiculous question - along the lines of how long is a piece of string.

For instance I have been through Biscay twice on a small yacht, it was like a millpond. I have also crossed on a cruise liner and it was quite rough. If we could predict the weather to any accuracy, we would be millionaires.

Of our 12 nights out of Harwich to the Baltic Aug 29-Sept 11, the North Sea was smooth as glass and the Baltic had a few swells but generally was smooth except for one night leaving Tallinn when it became windy and the seas were rocking. It didn't bother us, even being a first cruise it was more of a curiosity -- part of the experience. Our ship was smaller (Jewel of the Seas), 92K but handled it all well. You should be just fine.

It's a fabulous cruise, not to be missed. We had ginger candy just in case, but really didn't need it.

Enjoy

We were in the Baltic late last June and it was not bad (we were on RCI's JOS). However, on the last day of the cruise going back to Harwich from Copenhagen the seas got quite rough. Several people we knew suffered from motion sickness, as did my DH. I did notice they put "barf bags" on all the staircases and there were not many people in the dining room that night.

Archived