Whittier to Seward

fun2travel

Susan had some fantastic ideas about what to do in Anchorage but one thing she didn't mention that our family really enjoyed was the WildRide Sled Dog Show. The show last about one hour and was really entertaining and after the show we got to meet Flap Jack from Eight Below as well as Dallas Seavey, the youngest person to ever finish the Iditarod Race. Our family all agreed that this was their favorite thing to do in Anchorage.

We also went down to Seward for the weekend and did the Seavey's sled dog ride (a much different experience than the show), Exit Glacier and the SeaLife Center. The Seavey's was so much fun, it's just amazing how powerful and strong those dogs are. I can't even describe it, you'll just have to see it for yourselves. Exit Glacier is beautiful, so you're aware it is a half mile walk to the glacier. The SeaLife Center of course is fun for children of all ages.

Cruizin' Mama - sorry I didn't respond earlier. We opted to skip a PWS cruise entirely after our northbound cruise ended in Whittier last June. I booked a Kenai Fjords cruise for the end of our land trip a week later, and we also revisited PWS on the ferry from Valdez later in the week. The lack of a discount coupon for the Esther Passage tour as well as a discount coupon for the Alaskan Leopard shuttle sealed the deal. I think the PWS cruises work better time-wise for people who are boarding their ship in Whittier than for people getting off their NB cruises - especially if you're doing a cruise that doesn't start until 1 or 1:30 in the afternoon, as it's a lot of time to hang around Whittier.

Susan had some fantastic ideas about what to do in Anchorage but one thing she didn't mention that our family really enjoyed was the WildRide Sled Dog Show. The show last about one hour and was really entertaining and after the show we got to meet Flap Jack from Eight Below as well as Dallas Seavey, the youngest person to ever finish the Iditarod Race. Our family all agreed that this was their favorite thing to do in Anchorage.

We also went down to Seward for the weekend and did the Seavey's sled dog ride (a much different experience than the show), Exit Glacier and the SeaLife Center. The Seavey's was so much fun, it's just amazing how powerful and strong those dogs are. I can't even describe it, you'll just have to see it for yourselves. Exit Glacier is beautiful, so you're aware it is a half mile walk to the glacier. The SeaLife Center of course is fun for children of all ages.

Until one of our visits at the Saturday Market last year I didn't even know it existed because they just had started it. But those puppies they had at the Market just makes you ooohhhh and aaahhh.

But we're hosting a conference this June here in Anchorage and I'm conference chair and I had to come up with a Guest Event on Monday and their first stop is the Wildride Sled Dog tour http://ididaride.com/tours/anchorage/wildride.htm. Unfortunately, I'll be up the hill at the conference hotel attending the educational tracks but my Mom (who will be up for her annual sometime twice a year 6 week visit :D ) will be getting to go.

I've had cousins up and they did the Seavey's ride in Seward, they just loved it.

Always impressed with what and how Alaskans come up to earn their livings so they can do their passions.

Fur Rondy starts next weekend so the dogs will be in town for the short races and then the Saturday after that the Iditarod starts. Right now the mushers are out doing the Yukon Quest. 1000 miles through the Yukon and Alaska. Oh yes, must not forget the Iron Dog race going on right now too. 2,000 miles across Alaska on snow machines. Another great use found for duct tape (they put it on their exposed skin to help fight off frost bite because of the speed and the cold). The things Alaskans do to past the winter :rolleyes:

Susan in Anchorage :)

Well it is a balmy 12F here today and it's snowing and the wind is blowing. The only way this Alaskan stays sane through the winter is to go somewhere warm at least once a season. So in two weeks it's off to Florida for a week. Sand instead of snow, yahoo!

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived