Malaria Medicine..which one?

circus

My husband and I are going to the Amazon in March and have been getting our shots and visas and stuff and stuff together. Now we are on Malaria medicine. We were going to get the Malarone but it will cost us about $240 for the two of us versus maybe $20 for Doxycycline. Is it really worth $220 to go ahead and get the Malarone? Has anyone taken either of these and does anyone have any thoughts?

I'm for taking the less expensive route but if there is a good reason to take the Malarone well, we'll go that route.

Any help or advise is appreciated...thanks, Chris

Malarone is non prescription in most of the world. You can buy it online for less than 1/2 of what you quoted. I get mine out of Canada (takes about 3 weeks for delivery). It is also available over the counter in most of SA.

Ask your doctor about the pros and cons of each, especially the doctor that gave you the yellow fever vaccination.

We always take Malarone because you only need to take for such a short time either side of the actual visit. Never had side effects. Yes the down side is it costs more. Although your costs seem expensive compared with Uk

Many malaria affected countries do not stock Malarone for sale if other drugs are effective in their country, so that the malaria bugs do not develop a resistance to it.

It is important to take an antimalarial that works for the country in which you are traveling. Malaria strains in some countries are resistant to some drugs and not others. The CDC website will tell you which drugs will be effective in the country you are visiting.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travel/index.htm

Just keep in mind that if you go with the Doxy, it's a sun sensitive med and you will burn in the sunlight to a much higher degree than you normally would.

I think you will find that most International travel doctors are giving Malarone for malaria. Good luck.

Cathy

thanks everyone, my husband just left with the rx's to get them filled. we found a pharmacy that wasn't as expensive as the others so what the heck! The trip is expensive enough so what is another couple hundred dollars! At least we will be healthy when we get home.

i know we will have a great time. thanks again...

• 3 weeks later...
It is important to take an antimalarial that works for the country in which you are traveling. Malaria strains in some countries are resistant to some drugs and not others. The CDC website will tell you which drugs will be effective in the country you are visiting.

When I went to our Travel Medical clinic, she stated the above aswell. But she mentioned that for women she prefers to give Malarone, and men can have either so my husband is going to take Doxy (which we have used in the past)... but it is really sun sensitive, and I am going to take the Malarone. Thank goodness my health coverage covered the Doxy, and almost all the Malarone.... whole thing only cost me $31.25... FINALLY saving something!

• 8 months later...

My wife and I don't take medication. Not even asprin. So I approached the whole aspect of malaria medication with some real reservations.

I spent a great deal of time looking into the options and finally decided to get malarone. It is more expensive...a 12 day supply was $66.

It's better than conracting malaria...or needing the malaria drugs after the fact. They're very expensive.

The reduced side effects make it much more attractive.

Now let's talk Yellow Fever shots. These were just under $100 each in Canada and both my wife and I got significant muscle pains and flu symptoms for about 3-4 days -- despite being told that only 5% of people experience any side effects at all.

And the JOY and expense of applying for Brazilian visas....geez.

The Amazon better be pretty fricking cool after all this.

David

The Amazon better be pretty fricking cool after all this.

David....if you have even half the experience we did, you'll find that the Amazon will be so, so cool that you will quickly forget all the frustrations of getting there. That is one amazing river and one of the best cruises we have taken.

Have a great trip.

• 3 months later...
My husband and I are going to the Amazon in March and have been getting our shots and visas and stuff and stuff together. Now we are on Malaria medicine. We were going to get the Malarone but it will cost us about $240 for the two of us versus maybe $20 for Doxycycline. Is it really worth $220 to go ahead and get the Malarone? Has anyone taken either of these and does anyone have any thoughts?

I'm for taking the less expensive route but if there is a good reason to take the Malarone well, we'll go that route.

Any help or advise is appreciated...thanks, Chris

Our travel clinic gave us a prescription for Malarone (250mg). We didn't think we needed this for one day in Brazil but he said if we got Malaria it would ruin our trip. I'm assuming my insurance we cover this. We start two days before we leave and 7 days after we leave the area, so just have a prescription for 11 pills.

We also have a prescription for Cipro to take and only use if needed.

Btw, I asked if we really needed this and was told we didn't want to get Malaria. I would get what is recommended.

Excellent advice -- thank you for posting this. It's an important part of the puzzle that gets overlooked.

Also, I would strongly recommend NOT getting Malarone overseas without a prescription. First of all, you have to take it for several days before your trip. Second, with many prescription plans, it's very reasonable in price (my husband paid $30 for 10 pills, my Rx plan covered 11 for $25). Third, if you buy it overseas, have it in your system, and you are subject to any sort of random drug test at work (a very real possibility depending on your employer), you could have all sorts of problems for having a Rx drug in your system which was not prescribed for you. I think it's too big of a risk to take just to save some money. Cut corners on transfers and excursions, not on medical decisions.

Archived