Question about daytime attire

CruisinNewb

We are cruising in August to Alaska and while in port we will be off on excursions there will be a few days at sea where we will be onboard during the day.

I'm aware of the required attired for evenings but what about mornings and afternoons while on board?

I'm sure we will be layered for the Hubbard Glacier portion but what about the rest of the time?

We are cruising in August to Alaska and while in port we will be off on excursions there will be a few days at sea where we will be onboard during the day.

I'm aware of the required attired for evenings but what about mornings and afternoons while on board?

I'm sure we will be layered for the Hubbard Glacier portion but what about the rest of the time?

Dress during the day is whatever you like. I believe one exception though is you cannot wear a swimsuit into the main dining room for breakfast or lunch. Then you could still eat in buffet dining areas, the aft outside eating area on 10, the spa dining bar or the hotdog/hamburger bar near the swimming pools.

Alaskan cruises tend to be much more casual, especially during the day. The outdoor temperatures might be anywhere between the 40's and the 70's. You'll find that most folks will be wearing jeans or casual pants with sweaters or sweatshirts. My husband laughed at me when I packed gloves for all us on our Alaska cruise. He stopped laughing on the day we spent in Glacier Bay. That was the only time we needed them but since we wanted to spend the entire day outside, they were a necessity.

...My husband laughed at me when I packed gloves for all us on our Alaska cruise. He stopped laughing on the day we spent in Glacier Bay. That was the only time we needed them but since we wanted to spend the entire day outside, they were a necessity...

When we went to Glacier bay in early August a couple years ago we were freezing outside in the morning - especially after being out for an hour or so and we had hats, gloves, jackets, etc. We went to warm up in a spa by the indoor pool while we were between scenic spots then put on a few more layers than we wore earlier in the day before heading up on deck in the early afternoon - only to find it sunny and over 70 degrees out. You never know what to expect there, so be prepared.

During the day we wore mostly jeans and very casual shirts.

Hi,:) I sailed to Alaska in May 2006 and wore jeans and long sleeves

during the day. I think my particular sailing must have had the Weather

Gods looking down on us:) it was sunny 95% of the time.

I would tell you to bring layering peices. Cotton layers easily

and breathes as well.

I brought turtlenecks along with pullover sweaters and a Columbia

fleece jacket.

Daytime is very casual. Jeans and I brought moleskin pants too.

(Feels like suade but lighter and very easy to pack).

Remember to pack a poncho and/or umbrella. Alaska has a lot

of rain. I also threw in gloves and a hat though I don't recall

needing them. But better to be safe than sorry.

Enjoy your cruise. Alaska is so majestic:). I would love to

sail there again.

Archived