Please help! Need advice!

kjsmom

:o

Going on the NCL Jewel on Feb 24th. Wondering if we will have enough time to catch our 10am flight home at Miami airport.. Ship docks Miami at 7am.

It's a couple of weeks away and I just thought of this.

New cruiser, any ideas? we will be going to Cozmel and Grand Caymans. I'm guessing there may be a long customs check process?

I'm going with hubby and toddler & 6mo daughters. Would hate to miss our flight with babies in tow.

Anyone?

Thanks!

**also any suggestions on where to stay? We will be arriving on Thurs. Ship leaves Sunday.

That is way too close for my comfort. Ship gets in at 7 (IF everything goes right and there's no delay), but you won't be off the ship until maybe 8:00 - 8:30 at the earliest? Maybe even later? Giving you possibly 30 minutes to get to the airport to be there by 9:00. It's a busy day and you won't be the only one headed in that direction.

If you can't change to a later flight, you would definately need to do express disembarkation which means you carry everything off the ship yourself. With kids in tow to be carried also this probably won't be easy. And you'd have to get a cab immediately and not wait for bus transfers.

Again, it would be too close for my comfort and I'd rather spend a few extra hours in the airport than worry on the last day of a wonderful vacation if that last day is going to go right. If you miss your flight its possible there's another but again, you're not the only one flying home that day. Tons of other cruisers are. You may be at the airport all day long waiting for another flight.

There may be others who have done this and been fine, and again, you might be if absolutely everything goes in your favor. If not, you can be in for a very, very, long day.

As for where to stay, there are some great suggestions on the East Coast departure boards.

And since you're a new cruiser be prepared... it is an addiction of which there is no cure.:)

I agree that a 10:00 flight is too close. If the ship is delayed for disembarkation (and it happens more frequently than you think) you'll never make it.

Sometimes the check in and security lines take quite a while to get through in Miami.

I would not schedule a flight before noon.

We just got back from Sun and our flight left at 10:22. We walked off the ship with our luggage at 7:30 am.. we were checked in for our flight by 8:15. Be ready to go off the ship at 7:30 and you should have no problems.

Could you theoretically, under "perfect" circumstances (ie: no delay arriving in port, no delay disembarking, no delay in customs, your shuttle or cab coming immediately)make a 10:00 flight?maybe, but unlikely. The earliest you can disembark is 7:30, even with carrying your own bags off (which I highly recommend), and a 10:00 flight boards at 9:30. 2 hours including arrival, disembarking, customs and transportation really cuts it way to close. Why have the pressure hang over your head which could possibly mar your enjoymnet of the cruise?

I would expect you will most likely miss that 10 AM flight. For a fee you should be able to fly standby on a later flight, though. If I were you I would call now and arrange a later flight.

If you are one of the first off the boat aroung 8:30 or so, you may make it to MIA by 9 AM, but assuming you have to check bags and clear security and get to the gate by the deadline, there is not much hope for that, with all the crowds at MIA. I would not be comfortable with this at all.

Let them know when you get on about your early flight, on the day of disembarkation you will be one of the 1st to leave, you should have no customs lines and should be able to make it in time. We walked off the ship at 9:45 and was at the airport by 10:30. Before anyone says anything I know the OP's flight is at 10, just using my experience as an example for a time frame

I knew I could count on you guys!;)

You guys have made some great points to consider. and I will try to rearrange for a later flight. I used my ff miles, so hope I can do it.

Thanks again fellow CC's!

I have a feeling this cruising is going to be addicting.............:D

Any other advice I should know about? love to hear from you, especially advice with kids in tow?

are there cabs ready to take you to the airport? or call for one?

• Administrators

Thanks, mods, for consolidating this one. :)

To the OP, I think that timing is WAY too tight. You just took a week long cruise ship vacation to unwind and destress... and by this timing you have now set up a situation which will RE-stress you before you even get on the plane home. If possible, change your flight to one after noon. I agree with sprn -- who wants to spend their entire cruise worrying (subconsciously) about whether you will make that flight and what happens if you don't?

Move it now.... then don't worry, be happy, when you return to Port of Miami.

what do you think should be the earliest flight? I have no clue how long it will take to hail a cab and the time it will take to get to MIA?

Also, what is "OP"? help! sorry- new to this cruise lingo!

anyone reccommend what to do with long layover? I believe the next flight I can take with ff restrictions isn't until after 6pm. debating on whether it would be worth getting a hotel?

what do you think should be the earliest flight? I have no clue how long it will take to hail a cab and the time it will take to get to MIA?

I always try to book anytime after 12:00 to give me plenty of leeway. Might be a wait at the airport but gives me peace of mind. There are plenty of cabs available in Miami so you shouldn't have a problem there.

Original Poster

anyone reccommend what to do with long layover? I believe the next flight I can take with ff restrictions isn't until after 6pm. debating on whether it would be worth getting a hotel?

If you can't get another flight until late, you can always do an excursion in Miami off the ship for the day. Or, rent a car and do your own thing until you have to go to the airport. There's South Beach, Bayside Marketplace, further away to the Everglades. Or as you said, you can get a hotel for the night and leave the next morning. Spend the day chilling at the hotel pool or at a beach etc.

Hope that helped.

OP = Original Post or Original Poster.

Why not fly out the next day on your FF ticket or save the FF ticket for next trip and just pay for a flight home later in the day?

Best thing to do with a long layover is to rent a car for the day. If your flight isn't until 6 you would have time to visit South Beach or the Everglades. The rental car will be way cheaper than a tour. Just avoid Alamo or National they have terrible shuttle service in Miami.

Going on the NCL Jewel on Feb 24th. Wondering if we will have enough time to catch our 10am flight home at Miami airport.. Ship docks Miami at 7am.

New cruiser, any ideas? we will be going to Cozmel and Grand Caymans. I'm guessing there may be a long customs check process?

I'm going with hubby and toddler & 6mo daughters. Would hate to miss our flight with babies in tow.

Anyone?

Thanks!

**also any suggestions on where to stay? We will be arriving on Thurs. Ship leaves Sunday.

MIA is a zoo on Sunday morning. You need to be there two full hours early to have time to check in and get through security, That means you have got to be getting out of the cab by 8:00 a.m. and it is just not going to happen. If you are lucky you can be there by 9:00 but with the little ones why try.

kjsmom: Our flight left at 6:00 pm. We planned an Everglades excursion through NCL onboard the ship and it worked out beautifully. We left from the ship got on the bus went to the Everglades, bus took us back to the airport 4 hours before our flight. The Miami airport is a nightmare and so is American Airlines (in case you are taking them) so we needed the four hours just to get through the crazy mess. As long as you think the little ones would do fine this might be an option for you. Or do like other posters have mentioned and stay another night and catch a flight the following day. We are actually going to do that next time. It is a great idea!

thx again.

I am a bit perplexed about the rental car thing-are there rentals at the dock/port or take a cab to the airport and rent there?

sorry if these seem obvious, but this is all new and the more I can prepare, the less stress it will be;) . cruising is relaxing, but not stranded with 2 kids!

hotel reccommendations?

hoping for:

-3* or higher

-family friendly

-safe area

-walkable with my double stroller(shops, food, beach?, etc)

-hoping for under $275/night

there must be hotels geared for cruisers? I wouldn't mind paying more if there was a shuttle to the port. it would save us from renting a car.

beachbummama(and the rest of you) thanks for clarifying!

jollycruise,

as a matter of fact, we are on American Air!

eeek!

What did you do with your luggage while you took your excursion?

we will be lugging strollers, carseat, babygear, etc.......:(

thx again.

I am a bit perplexed about the rental car thing-are there rentals at the dock/port or take a cab to the airport and rent there?

Car companies have shuttles that will pick you up from the port, and you can return car at the airport.

sorry if these seem obvious, but this is all new and the more I can prepare, the less stress it will be;) . cruising is relaxing, but not stranded with 2 kids!

No need to apologize, we've all asked the same questions, that's how we've found out the things that worked for us.:) And you are right, the more you are prepared, the less stress it all is.

hotel reccommendations?

hoping for:

-3* or higher

-family friendly

-safe area

-walkable with my double stroller(shops, food, beach?, etc)

-hoping for under $275/night

there must be hotels geared for cruisers? I wouldn't mind paying more if there was a shuttle to the port. it would save us from renting a car.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

This is the link for the East Coast departure board. Florida. You'll find all kinds of hotel info etc. Few offer 'free' shuttles to the port, but a cab isn't much at all to get to the ship on your departure day. If you didn't want to rent a car pre or post cruise, you could get a hotel in South Beach, something close to Bayside Marketplace, and just take a cab to and from the port and to and from airport. The most convenient to Bayside (food, shopping, etc. - fun place) is the Holiday Inn right across the street. Pretty standard hotel. For more upscale the Intercontinental is right there also and the Hyatt down the street a bit. Again, check the link above for more ideas.

Of course if you stayed at South Beach there's lot's within walking distance.

And don't worry, once you get this one under your belt you'll be back on the boards planning your next. Practice, practice, practice. That's why we all keep cruising, to get it all down pat.:D

Anyone?

Thanks!

We were on the Jewel last week, and express debarkation started around 7:45. If everything goes seemlessly, you could disembark, clear customs and be in a taxi on your way to the airport by 8:05 or so. Get there, check in, make it through security by 9. That's if everything goes seemlessly. Murphy's Law loves that scenario. ;)

If I were you I wouldn't do the 10 am flight. Things moved very quickly for us last week, but any hitch anywhere along the way and you'll miss your flight.

As for where to stay, we stayed at the La Quinta Airport East the night before because they had a free shuttle from the airport and to the port, had good reviews on Trip Advisor and the price was right ($145/night). If I were staying overnight, it'd be fine--it's a clean, safe place that supplies the basics. But if I were going to be there for more than 1 night I think I'd look elsewhere unless I had a rental car. It's really isolated and only has 1 restaurant (Bennigan's) within walking distance.

Since you have little ones in tow pay the $15 per bag to have your bags taken directly from the pier to the airport or pay for curbside check in. The lines at American Airlines in Miami are incredible and I cannot imagine standing in line for over an hour with a baby and small child.

we stayed at the hampton inn and suites blue lagoon, 777 nw 57th for 2 nights before our cruise. there is more than one so can recommmend only this one.....large rooms; good breakfast in morning prior to embarkation; free shuttle from airport; hotel will arrange {do this in advance} shuttle to port for $10/person. we took the 11 shuttle and were there by about 11:10. internet is free. best thing: there is a CVS, a Walgreen's, and a Publix market within walking distance....we bought stuff for the cruise there as well as some great take out food from the Publix. :)

librarygal-

how do I request the bags to airport? where do I claim it? or is it automatically get put on your plane? does it not need to pass security?

last thing I'd want is hunting for lost baggage at the airport(with 2 kids in tow)...

kids crying, need to go!:eek:

Archived