RSSC Mariner Caribbean April 2008

My husband & I are thinking of booking the RSSC Mariner 11day Caribbean cruise in April to celebrate our 15th anniversary. I had a few questions regarding this ship and this itinerary. Has anyone been on this ship & itinerary that could comment on the roughness of the waters and movement of the ship. I have a tendenacy towards motion sickness, and wondering if I will have a problem on this cruise. This will be our first real cruise on open water, we have only done a river boat cruise in Russia, and I had no problems! Also I remember reading something on these boards regarding certain areas of RSSC ships that are prone to vibration, does the Mariner have a vibration problem in certain parts of the ship, would appreciate any feedback you can give me! Thanks, GG

There are some excellent (non-drowsy) ways to avoid motion sickness. I use the electronic wrist band -- have no idea how it works, but it does. Also, taking 1/4 of Bonine or Dramamine work well.

It is difficult to predict the sea condition -- my Carribean cruise in April /07 was smooth -- though I have read others having rough seas. While I cannot comment specifically on the Mariner and it's itinerary, there have been no posts that I have seen claiming that the Mariner has vibration issues (the Navigator and Voyager do -- dependent upon too many things to list).

Think you will have a lovely time!

We are booked on this cruise and took a similiar cruise last year on the Mariner. There is no way to know this far ahead how smooth the cruise will be. Last year was great but that was last year. We did love the ship and booked this years cruise while on board March 2007..

The Mariner doesn't have any vibration issues. It cruises with very good stability.

As Bill stated, there is no way to know if there will be any seas until that day comes. Overall it is a pretty settled time of year and most days are actually pretty short cruises. If, however, there are any rough sea days, Mariner handles them well.

I wouldn't avoid a cruise because of a concern, but rather have remedies such as Bonine (Dramamine can make you drowsy and reacts with alcohol) and book a suite lower and midship.

Being that you were on this ship on a similiar itinerary last year and are going again this year, and we are new to cruising, I have some questions for you if you wouldn't mind! What side of the ship and cabin category were you in last year and what was your experience, pro & con. What side of the ship and cabin category are you booked in for this coming cruise?? From your postings it looks like you had booked this cruise while on last years cruise and then found a better price online, how were you able to transfer that?? When you are a return guest on RSSC do you get some kind of discount?? Also is there an incentive to book your next years cruise while on a current one?? On last years cruise did you do any of the port shore excursions arranged by the cruise line, and what were your experiences?? Did you book them ahead of time, online?? Which ports did you like or didn't like and the reasons?? Did you make reservations for the 2 specialty restaurants for dinner online ahead of time?? Any thoughts about that?? As far as dress code, how dressed up do folks get on formal night?? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!!! GG

I can help some as to the Mariner, but not the itinerary. The Mariner is an outstanding ship. I suspect any cabin would be fine. My wife and I were in 1004. This is on the port side of the ship toward the front. The cabin has plenty of room for a week to 10 days or so. The only challenge is the shower. It has a very high step in, plus it is narrow. It works fine, just be careful. The butler service is very useful, but you can do without it.

Even though we had several days of somewhat rough weather, it never bothered us. But then we seem to be pretty good sailors. Plus we always wear a scopolamine patch.

You receive a discount for booking while onboard.

You may make a reservation in each restaurant online, then more onboard. The butler will do this for you onboard.

You should be prepared to dress as specified for each night or restaurant. On the cruise we were on the mix of dark suits and tuxedos was about equal. We say one gentleman sent back to his cabin to fetch a jacket at the Signatures restaurant.

In thinking back over the cruise the only problems I can recall were several times at breakfast or lunch the table we sat down at was missing a glass or a napkin. At dinner on New Year’s eve we were seated with three other couples at a table for eight, which should have been a table for seven, as it was definitely too small. I asked a couple of questions at the reception desk. The answers to these questions were lacking. Neither did the staff seem interested in finding out the answer in any greater detail. Otherwise in two weeks nothing went wrong. If this is all I can come up with to complain about after living on board for that length of time, I think you will do well no matter what you cabin you book or where you travel on the Mariner.

Hi Painthorse, Thank-you for your comments, I appreciate it. I'm a little confused, I thought that reservations were only required in the two specialty restaurants (Signatures, & Lattitudes), do you have to make reservations for the other dining options as well?? Or did you make reservations for the specialty restaurants for multiple nights during your cruise?? If you don't make reservations online ahead of time, is it hard to get into the specialty restaurants once your aboard ship?? Thanks, GG

No reservations needed in The Compass Rose or La Veranda.

Twenty eight days before the cruise you can make reservations for the speciality restaurants.. Only one reservation at each restaurant when you book on line. After boarding you can make additional reservations as they are open up..

Hi BillP1, Thank-you so much for your help! I was hoping you would return to this thread. Being that you were on this ship on a similiar itinerary last year and are going again this year, and we are new to cruising, I have some questions for you if you wouldn't mind! What side of the ship and cabin category were you in last year and what was your experience, pro & con. What side of the ship and cabin category are you booked in for this coming cruise?? From what I have read on these wonderful boards, it sounds like while docked at ports we would prefer to have our cabin & balcony facing the water, so I am wondering which side of the ship to request!! We will probably only get off on a couple of the ports and remain on the ship for the others. From your postings it looks like you had booked this cruise while on last years cruise and then found a better price online, how were you able to transfer that?? When you are a return guest on RSSC do you get some kind of discount?? Also is there an incentive to book your next years cruise while on a current one?? On last years cruise to the Caribbean did you do any of the port shore excursions arranged by the cruise line, and what were your experiences?? Did you book them ahead of time, online?? Which ports did you like or didn't like and the reasons?? As far as dress code, how dressed up do folks get on formal night?? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!!! GG

BILLP1 Thanks so much for your help, I was hoping you would return to this thread! Being that you were on this ship on a similiar itinerary last year and are going again this year, and we are new to cruising, I have some questions for you if you wouldn't mind! What side of the ship and cabin category were you in last year and what was your experience, pro & con. What side of the ship and cabin category are you booked in for this coming cruise?? Did you have a bathtub or shower stall, any preferences based on your experience?? We will probably just get off for a few of the ports but remain on the ship for the others. From what I have read on these wonderful boards we will probably want to have our cabin & balcony facing the water while docked, so I could use your help in choosing the correct side of the ship to accomplish this. When you are a return guest on RSSC do you get some kind of discount?? On last years cruise did you do any of the port shore excursions arranged by the cruise line, and what were your experiences?? Did you book them ahead of time, online?? Which ports did you like or didn't like and the reasons?? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!!! GG

Archived