Fuel Surcharge being reviewed by Florida AG

Barek

Not sure if this had been posted yet; if so, I may have missed it. Looks like the Florida Attorney General is questioning the fuel sucharges that started going into effect this month. It's just an investigation at this stage, no charges filed against the companies, so I suspect it's just the AG wanting to look responsive to voters - I wonder if he's up for re-election. :rolleyes:

Here's the news story: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080205/cruises_fuel_surcharge.html?.v=2

He is a typical politician that cares nothing for the little person. He only acts like it. He kisses a baby with one hand and steels his candy with the other.

If the meddle with the cruise industry all they will do is cause problems.

Couple years ago they started making the cruise lines pay Florida sales tax while they were inside the 3 mile limit so we just stopped purchasing anything until we were outside the three mile limit...

Ruth & Jim

Couple years ago they started making the cruise lines pay Florida sales tax while they were inside the 3 mile limit so we just stopped purchasing anything until we were outside the three mile limit...

Ruth & Jim

Interesting. While Noordam was tied up at the dock in NYC, pax purchasing sodas & liquor had to pay sales tax on those items, too.

We also waited until she was out to sea. :)

Cruise News Daily has an interesting story about this in tonight's email: if the FL AG declares that the fuel surcharge is illegal, then the cruiselines will just raise cruise prices. The end result will be higher cruise prices for us all since the cruiselines will naturally "plan ahead" for possible future fuel increases. Sounds to me like 150 people making noise that's going to hurt thousands, if not millions of cruisers. As they say, be careful what you wish for.

Archived