Southampton - Hotels/Accomodation Near Port

Guest Daimen

Hi all,

We're thinking about travelling down the night before and staying somewhere pretty close to the port (short taxi ride away ...) Does anyone have any experience of places nearby? Preferably a budget hotel kind of thing.

All the best,

Hi, last year we spent the night before our cruise at the Holiday Inn. One side of the hotel overlooks the cruise ship berths, plus it is also within walking distance of the shopping centre, ideal for any last minute buying! Its also fairly reasonable, plus they have deals which include car parking too.

I stayed at the Ibis last Sept before my cruise. Pretty small basic room but I was looking for inexpensive so it was fine. Nice location just a short walk from the National Express bus terminal and the train station. The big shopping mall is also very close. They were builing a new hotel right next to the Ibis advertising very cheap rates on a banner but can't recall the name.

I used National for the ride from Heathrow and it was a very good value. Also used the train for day trips to both Portsmouth and Winchester and was very impressed by how easy/cheap it was. Taxi to the ship was pretty inexpensive, its not much more than a 5 -7 minute ride.

I also was going to do that and we checked out several, very bad results. We are now staying at the Sofitel at Gatwick the night before and we arrive early so will have them hold our luggage and take the express train to London and come back that night sleep at airport and take the cruise voucher to Southhampton and have the day to go around the city. I talked with a friend from London and he said Southhampton is a port and naval city. Sort of dirty but tha the museum and shopping is good.

I I talked with a friend from London and he said Southhampton is a port and naval city. Sort of dirty but tha the museum and shopping is good.

I think your friend is getting confused with Portsmouth, 20 miles up the road from Southampton which is the main British Navy main port and where there are maritime museums.

I think your friend is getting confused with Portsmouth, 20 miles up the road from Southampton which is the main British Navy main port and where there are maritime museums.

NO, jms2362's friend is right. Southampton has a number of interesting museums including the maritime museum which houses among others a great Titanic exhibition. The medival merchants house and the city gallery are other examples of worthwhile sights.

I also was going to do that and we checked out several, very bad results. We are now staying at the Sofitel at Gatwick the night before and we arrive early so will have them hold our luggage and take the express train to London and come back that night sleep at airport and take the cruise voucher to Southhampton and have the day to go around the city. I talked with a friend from London and he said Southhampton is a port and naval city. Sort of dirty but tha the museum and shopping is good.

If you're at Gatwick, there's an hourly direct train from the airport to Southampton Central (5 mins from the docks), it takes about 2 hours. Cost is about 20 quid/ea, probably a lot less than the cruise line wants is quiet and comfortable.

Hello

Regarding hotels in Southampton, I recommend these two.

They are in the old town, near the harbour, and are in old buildings.

Many cruise goers stay there.

Dolphin Hotel

34-35 High Street, Old Town, Southampton UK

The Star Hotel

26 High Street, Southampton, UK

In June 2005, after a cruise on the Golden Princess we stayed two nights at the DOLPHIN. The rooms had been recentely redone. It's a nice hotel. Good breakfast too.

I believe the Ibis is near the train station, and there isnt's much to be seen around. It's also a very boring hotels. The two i've mentionned have more history!

Of course, it's highly advisable to book in advance to avoid any dissappointment.

Hope this help.

Jacques O, Paris

I believe the Ibis is near the train station, and there isnt's much to be seen around. It's also a very boring hotels. The two i've mentionned have more history!

Yes, it's a big box, but across the st from Southampton Central, and has an onsite car rental. (cloest to the train station)

....we're in the same boat. We fly into Gatwick...then we're going to rent a car and drive down to Southampton. I studied Tripadvisor.com and we've got reservations @ the Elizabeth House Hotel... It's rated #3 of hotels in Southampton....so, we'll see what happens. It gets good reviews...

....It's going to be difficult to find anything too "historic" in Southampton...as the town was pretty well bombed out during the war.....

Have you found anything yet...?

....we're in the same boat. We fly into Gatwick...then we're going to rent a car and drive down to Southampton. I studied Tripadvisor.com and we've got reservations @ the Elizabeth House Hotel... It's rated #3 of hotels in Southampton....so, we'll see what happens. It gets good reviews...

....It's going to be difficult to find anything too "historic" in Southampton...as the town was pretty well bombed out during the war.....

You might want to consider not driving.. I found a one way rental from the airport was going to be in the 100+ GBP ($200). The train from Gatwick is MUCH MUCH easier (20/ea) and drops you in downtown southampton. Not to mention how evil the M25 is.

I agree the Ibis was pretty plain. I picked it for the cheap price and location next to both the National Express and train stations. I used the trains several times and the station was a 5 minute walk from the Ibis

Archived