Appropriate Tux Shoes

nitnyleo

Hey fashion dudes,

I'm planning on taking a pair of monk strap oxfords, satin finish , that can go with other outfits. I also have a pair of jazz oxfords, dull finish, that I could pack; and a pair of Docker captoe, satin finish.

I've been to tux sites, and their descriptions of available shoes do not sound much different than what I already have. What AM I looking for? Perry Ellis has a cool pair of suede, but I can't find them again. Can I just buy a bottle of high-gloss polish in a bottle and put it on the monk straps?

I WILL NOT WEAR PATENT LEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about the inexpensive but always chic looking Hush Pupppy black suede loafers...works like a charm and people think you're actually wearing a pair Salvatore Ferrragamo's which look exactly the same without of course the price and metal loops over the vamp!

I am not a member of the Fashion Police Force but I must admit I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to formal wear. I don't understand WHY you won't wear patent leather shoes. Frankly, I think monk strap shoes (high gloss polish or not) with a tux would look dumb. However, you have to be comfortable in your own skin so wear what you want. Out of curiosity, what do you have against patent leather shoes???

Jerry

I'm puzzled, too. Won't wear patent leather, yet wants to put glossy polish on shoes he already has?

While I'm not one to wear (or waste money on) cutting edge fashions, I do know some need to feel they're at the peak of style. As has been said, do what makes you feel comfortable and travels well. Some will notice your shoe appropriateness, most won't.

Me, I wear a pair of Volterra Italian patent leather, plain toe I got at Nordstrom Rack for 75% off.

Patent leather looks like plastic or vinyl...I could use other descriptors, but I might insult somebody....let's just say they are not "me".

I posted because I didn't feel comfortable with the monk straps, but was hoping that Carson would say it would be "cool" (especially without socks:eek: ). The Hush Puppies (or similar) might work, but the styling might be too casual...will have to look. (And If I do buy patent leather, you can bet your butt that they will not have buttons and bows.)

The perfect shoes were something I bought in the 80's in HWD (I lived on Franklin, Poinsettia, Crescent Hgts, Kings Road, Palm Ave) - quilted satin jazz oxfords....unfortunately, I threw them out at the end of the last century.

Thanks

I wear a nice pair of Kenneth Cole venetian loafers w/ a high gloss polish - they look just as good as anything else I've seen other men wear (like Rockports?!?)

I too am a bit negative about "patent leather" shoes as you need to spend over $200 to get good ones - I was in the USAF where you had to wear the cheapo plastic ones and they made my life misery...

But you are helping to add to my confusion.

Your style is a common one that I can find anywhere, complete with the elastic extender tabs. What makes your formal shoes "special", aside from the price tag? KC Venice loafers at Macy's are $119: but, I can find that same style at Payless for considerably less.

I don't mind paying a $100 for shoes (well, actually, I do), but I will only pay $100 if I see some value....

If you don't want suede and don't want to spend a lot of money, try some of the bargain stores like Ross or Syms. Sometimes they have satin or suede formal shoes on really good sales. They may not fit perfectly, but you'll probably only wear them a couple of times anyway. If that doesn't work, just polish the Monk straps with regular polish. It's really not that big of a deal.

Archived