Fanning Island/Napali Beach

luv2travel2beaches

We LOVED it. It was pristine white, powder like sand. It was uncluttered and uncultured, but it was one of our best experiences. We highly recommend it.

But be forwarned... the sun is bright just 5 degrees or so off the equator.

paul

Ditto paulfredo...

We put Napali Beach in the category of the most unusual beach we've ever experienced. It is hot, unspoiled and absolutely gorgeous. What made it unusual was the water. I kid you not, you could walk off Napali Beach, directly into the water, and walk out, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile and still be only knee deep. Because of the shallowness, many folks said there is no snorkeling. I took my gear and went out 100+ yards and found some interesting coral formation and some interesting fish. Not a lot (nothing like Maui or Kauai - its hard to beat that kind of snorkeling), but enough to satisfy me and my camera.

As for the beach area, many folks went walking on the beach, some farther than others to some rocky areas and picked up some nice shells and starfishes. Also, there are hammocks and chairs readily available, and mat floats for the water. On the way back to the shuttle area, I walked through the middle of the island (about 20 yeards) to take a beautiful picture of the Star through the trees.

As for getting back to the Fanning Beach, there are regular shuttles going back and forth. What I didn't find out until later: On Fanning, you can get your passports stamped by the local police/postal crew, for a nominal donation into the large punch bowl (we did that). On the other side of the large-outdoor market is a dirt road that leads to more of the village, and if you go down to the water, there is another very pretty beach area (this we didn't know).

We were on the 2nd shuttle to Napali, by the time we got there, did some snorkeling, walked down the beach, gathered our stuff, went to Fanning, got the passports stamped, ate a dog (hot dog, folks), went shopping at the market - it was 5 hours and time to go back - it just wasn't enough time.

Hope you really enjoy this very special treat!!!

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Cruisin's not just an adventure, it's an Attitude!!

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

I have heard such mixed reviews about rather or not the whole trip to Fanning is worth it. I really appreciate your feedback. It sounds like a wonderful trip for us. I am very much looking forward to it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Can't wait till 5/19/04 on the Wind

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;19;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

I am so glad we went to fanning, and that we didn't miss it. I don't get it with the people that are nay-sayers. It was an experience I wouldn't trade, and is in my top 10 of all time.

paul

Ditto, again - easily in the top-ten. The bigest complaint I heard was the "waste" of 2 1/2 days getting there and back - and I stated in an earlier post, for most cruises, you spend a day or two or three a "at sea" anyways, so why not enjoy the relaxation...

I 'm not sure you can go on a cruise to an unspoiled, no-power, no-phone, 300-years behind times island that has a beauty all to itself. Yes it takes time "away from visiting Hawaii", but Hawaii is also in a class by itself.

We saw this cruise as a win-win. Honestly, there is so much to absorb....18 rolls of film didn't cover it....

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Cruisin's not just an adventure, it's an Attitude!!

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I used to work on the M/S Norwegian Star. I have been to Fanning Island many times and it is by far my favorite place in the world. I would highly suggest that you go to Nepali Beach. You will take a tender over there and you will find that the beach there is FAR less busy. There are chairs, hammocks, floating mats etc. available for you to use. Once you get off the tender it is about a 5 minute walk or so to the beach. If my memory serves me correctly, there isn't food on that side available, but you can easily get some on the Fanning side once you go back there.

The barbeque is great on Fanning island!! A few tips for you. If you are going to buy anything on your trip as souveniers, I would buy them here. Make sure you take small bills with you and you can buy necklaces, bracelets, hats, and purses that are all very cheap and hand made. You will see this little market area to the left as you get off the tender.

One other suggestion is that when you get off the ship you will see the beach on the right (where everyone goes) and gets a little crowded. If you walk to the left and down the dirt path past the little market area you will see a beach (through the palm trees) on the left hand side. It is very very close and only crew really know about it. It is a few hundred feet down that pathway. You'll be glad you went there. It is even within walking distance to the BBQ area. The water is very warm, calm, and fairly shallow.

Whatever you do, wear sunscreen.... if you don't you will get FRIED! It is very very humid and hot here.

Have a blast!!

Archived