Disembarking - how early can our flight be?

micmacmissy

I would not book any flight before 1 pm. I have seen too many delays in arrival times.

For example:

We disembarked Century in Miami at 8:30 am and an hour and a half later we were still waiting for Immigration Officials to reboot their computers after a "crash".

I have been stuck at one airport when the freeway was shut down by an accident. Only the train between the airports was moving passengers from MIA to FLL and reverse.

Last year Century arrived hours late when a medical evacuation at sea delayed our arrival. 100's missed their flights.

If there is a delay how will you reschedule while on board?

Most cruises have no delays but stuff happens.

In UK we tend to book flight inclusive which places the onus on the company.

In your case, unless you have a fully flexible ticket, plan a night stop over then no worries.

Likewise in UK with road or rail travel to the port we now always travel to within striking distance where we have an alternative route to known bottle necks. The number of times I have seen a 2-3 hour in hand car journey just disappear. Most recently we have had instances of motorways being closed for hours with a full load of cars between the accident and the previous exit and no attempt to get cars off the motorway.

It will take you longer to get to Palm Beach than to MIA.

How are you getting from the ship to MIA?

One thing about flying out of FLL is, in a pinch, you can practically walk to the airport! All things being good, I have made a 9:20 flight out of FLL. Didn't book one that early you understand, just got to the airport early and they put me on an earlier flight!:)

The cruise line should be able to tell you the earliest possible flight. that is assuming you can actually get staff will will answer your question!!!!

Although the "do not book before 1pm" is a good rule, there are places where this simply will not work. I am flying back to Fort Myers out of San Diego in Nov. I have no choice, the only plane to get me to Fort Myers to get transport to my condo is the one that leaves San Deigo at 11.50am

I have asked my TA to book my flights for this cruise, because

a/ I cannot trust the cruise line to book me on a sensible route.

b/ I can book the flight now by my TA doing it , whereas according to the cruise line they will not start booking the flights until mid summer, when many seats are already taken.

In UK we tend to book flight inclusive which places the onus on the company. .

The small print in your cruise contract places no obligation on the company unless you buy their insurance...

But then again I will not fly to the UK for any reason including transfers to other European destinations. The chance of something going wrong at Heathrow, whether the threat is lost luggage due to load factors or potential shut downs, it is not worth flying through the UK for my peace of mind.

But then again I will not fly to the UK for any reason including transfers to other European destinations. The chance of something going wrong at Heathrow, whether the threat is lost luggage due to load factors or potential shut downs, it is not worth flying through the UK for my peace of mind.

TRIPLE CHEERS TO THAT !!!!

My toughts precisely. Heathrow is the worst aeronautical zoo ever built.

To be avoided wherever possible ( if my DW's siblings were not residing there, we would have NEVER touched Heathrow even on a map....)

Cheers

;)

The small print in your cruise contract places no obligation on the company unless you buy their insurance...

Agree.

Fly KLM through Schipol. They only lost our baggage once in 4 trips. While Theifrow had an enviable reputation I have never lost my bags there. Equally I have never done a transfer there either.

Did have one potentially heart stopping moment when I took a puppy, in a cage, and it had to travel freight. It arrived safely. The vet gave it a tranquilisaer pill. When I handed the puppy over, there was the pill in the cage :)

The cruise line should be able to tell you the earliest possible flight. that is assuming you can actually get staff will will answer your question!!!!

Although the "do not book before 1pm" is a good rule, there are places where this simply will not work. I am flying back to Fort Myers out of San Diego in Nov. I have no choice, the only plane to get me to Fort Myers to get transport to my condo is the one that leaves San Deigo at 11.50am

I have asked my TA to book my flights for this cruise, because

a/ I cannot trust the cruise line to book me on a sensible route.

b/ I can book the flight now by my TA doing it , whereas according to the cruise line they will not start booking the flights until mid summer, when many seats are already taken.

Jimsgirl - The distance between the port in San Diego and the airport is very short. You shouldn't have a problem with an 11:50 flight.

Archived