Speedy's ferry Tortola?

phabric

We plan to take Speedy's ferry service (http://www.speedysbvi.com) to "The Baths". He has a Special for $35 ferry, taxi, lunch. I have e-mailed him so far has not replied. Has anybody done this. Do you buy the tickets at the dock or do you have to reserve them. How far is the ferries from where the ships dock.

Both ferry services are a short walk from the cruiseship dock (5-10 minutes depending on your walking speed). As you face the shore, turn to your left and you can see the ferry terminals - they are beside each other. There should be someone in the tourist info booth at the dock who can direct you. We went with Smith's Ferry (they had a package that included your return ferry ride and taxi on Virgin Gorda for about $20). One of their reps was standing near the cruiseship dock and we just bought our ticket from him. You can also buy tickets at the terminal. IF you do this be sure to save the portion of your ticket that indicates you are entitled to a free taxi on V.G. - the taxi driver (actually a jitney bus) will need to see it both going to the Baths and returning.

• 2 weeks later...

My sons are taking the Spirit in January but they are in Tortola only til 1PM - Would you be comfortable using one of the services rather than the ships? The savings seemed considerable if you are saying $20pp or is it $20 per taxi? I think the ship offers this itinerary for $55 pp? thanks for any help

We have decided to go with Smith's Ferry (go to http://www.islandsonline.com/smithsferry). They have a few packages that includes lunch. We have a group of 24 cruise critic going with Smith's Ferry. I emailed them and told them we wanted and she came back with a quote, ours includes ferry, tour and lunch. We are going Nov 4.

Here's the answer to Speedy's lunch...

"Lunch at Virgin Gorda’s No. 1 Hot Spot The Bath & Turtle set in the midst of the best shopping on the islands. With the Best Selection of Burgers, Fish Dishes, Pastas, Salads and Pizzas" It is located somewhere in the Yacht Harbour.

According to Cruise Critic: this restaurant offers "Casual dining in small courtyard. Burgers, pizzas, seafood, wraps, rotis, salads and totally top-notch fish & chips. Entrees run from about $7.00 through $15.00. Don't miss the national drink of the BVI, the Painkiller. Open from 11:30 a.m. daily."

• 11 years later...

Was wondering time table for ferry to Baths - we are already booked to do an excursion in the morning for something else, if we get back to ship around noon, will we have time to go to the Baths via ferry and get back on ship around 4pm. Do the ferry's run back and forth all day or is it a package deal with a set time frame? Headed there in April 2016...thanks for any help!

Was wondering time table for ferry to Baths - we are already booked to do an excursion in the morning for something else, if we get back to ship around noon, will we have time to go to the Baths via ferry and get back on ship around 4pm. Do the ferry's run back and forth all day or is it a package deal with a set time frame? Headed there in April 2016...thanks for any help!

You need to go to VG earlier for the package, would suggest skipping the Baths if you have a morning excursion. 4 hrs is not enough time for another excursion to VG.

We have decided to go with Smith's Ferry (go to http://www.islandsonline.com/smithsferry). They have a few packages that includes lunch. We have a group of 24 cruise critic going with Smith's Ferry. I emailed them and told them we wanted and she came back with a quote, ours includes ferry, tour and lunch. We are going Nov 4.

The Baths & Turtle is a small cafe/restaurant and a good option for someone with limited time on the island looking for a lunch. a group of 24 is quite large however, and you will want to get there earlier in order to get served and not miss the ferry. I can see someone in your group getting anxious and taking it out on the staff there...

My sons are taking the Spirit in January but they are in Tortola only til 1PM - Would you be comfortable using one of the services rather than the ships? The savings seemed considerable if you are saying $20pp or is it $20 per taxi? I think the ship offers this itinerary for $55 pp? thanks for any help

I see you've alreayd cruised sissy but for others with this same question...

The cost of the roundtrip ferry to Virgin Gorda is $30pp, you can also buy one-way ferry passes from both ferry companies to maximize your time on VG when you have that opportunity.

The roundtrip taxi to the Top of the Baths is $12 for 1 person, $10pp for 2, and $8pp for 3 or more people. Since you are on a shared safari taxi the fare will be $8pp roundtrip so about $38pp total. The taxi fare is the same whether you pay the ferry company for the taxi or pay the driver yourself.

If in port just 6 hrs (7 - 1) I don't think you'll have time to go to the Baths on such a short day, at least not to enjoy yourself. Enjoy a nice inexpensive tour of Tortola and a beach stop, that's a great day too!

Does anyone know if you actually get a lunch from Speedy's with that package or do they allow time for you to get something to eat at one of the local restaurants?

If you buy the package from the ferry operator that includes lunch you will normally have to take an earlier taxi from the Top of the Baths to Spanishtown in order to have time to have lunch there. The lunch is at the Bath & Turtle, I believe it includes 2 drinks and sandwiches. YOu can also shop there if time allows. You can walk (10 min) from the town to the ferry dock.

If you are in port long enough a great option for Virgin Gorda is to go on your own and just buy the ferry passes. In fact you may want to consider buying one-way passes from each ferry company (Smith's and Speedy's). You can often maximize your time on VG by using their different schedules. The roundtrip ferry pass is $30 and the one-way pass is $20 but if you can get another 1 - 2 hrs on the island and better avoid the crowds at the Baths it's well worth the extra $10pp. Just check the ferry schedules to see if this makes sense for you.

The taxi fare from the ferry dock and Spanishtown to the Top of the Baths is the same whether you buy that through the ferry operator or you pay the driver yourself. The roundtrip fare is $12 for 1 person, $10pp for 2, and $8pp for 3 or more people, if sharing a group safari taxi you'll pay $8pp.

If you do have time in port consider stopping at Spring Bay first or Savannah Bay, and as the crowds thin out a little at the Baths you can walk to the Top of the Baths from SB. Another lunch choice is the Mineshaft Cafe with their spectacular panoramic views and signature drink, the Cave In. The driver can drop you there and pick you up and deliver you back to the ferry dock when you're ready.

The Valley area of VG includes the Baths, Spring Bay, Spanishtown, and the Mineshaft, and that's a nice way to experience a little more for those who have that option. Many of the NCL port times don't allow you that flexibility, but you can still take the ferry on your own rather than going through the ship. Just depends on your preference, the ferries are very reliable.

Edited by blue_water