Vision of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera video episodes

Head Shot

Great videos! I'll be on the Vision on July 6th. I especially like your editing and you've inspired me to shoot more video. I also read your advise about use but I'm curious what kind of video camera do you use?

Again, thanks for sharing your vacation!!

Thanks TravelTammy,

I used the Canon HV20 HDV camcorder. It is DV tape based camcorder that has been replaced with the HV30- virtually identical but skin color is black. At the time I purchased it, it was the best rated camcorder there was at the price point of under $ 2000. Camcorder was $ 1100, now you can buy it new for $ 550. The image quality is better than the Sony, JVC, and Panasonic, according to multiple review houses.

This camera gave the most pleasing and balanced color , not amped like the Sony. Much of the cruise video was shot with an add-on wide angle lens WHD-43 Canon. It was a good addition because many of the shots takes place in more cramped and close up field(such as a cruise ship) It also gives it a more cinematic, non-home video look to it.

With the advent of hard drive or flash card storage camcorders, the tape based camcorder may be less favored. In this case, one week of ship life and lots of shooting, going with tape was logical and practical. Had I used hard drive camcorder I have to lug additional electronic devices to store data to free up the camcorder hard drive. So far there is no camcorder in the market that can store the 13 hours of shots I took at the highest resolution without having to download it.

I'll be here anytime to help with topics on video shoot, edit, or other matters.

Have fun and film, film, film.

• 1 month later...

WHICH WIDE ANGLE LENS SHOULD I BUY FOR CANON HV20?

HV20 STILL DAZZLES...I RECENTLY BOUGHT SAMSUNG LCD...IMAGE MOVIE ALMOST PERFECT...ACTUALLY BETTER THAN REAL LIFE!

GRACIAS IN ADVANCE

Hommebronze- The use of a wide angle lens is quite beneficial for cruisers. If you have taken shots of on-board scenes, the wide angle ability will have more impact, less of of a camcorder feel. Since you are in more constricted space having the lens will include your buddies in the shots better.

Be sure, if you do get one,to use high quality lens. You're now shooting in far higher resolution, cheap lens aberration will do your picture in.

WHICH WIDE ANGLE LENS SHOULD I BUY FOR CANON HV20?

HV20 STILL DAZZLES...I RECENTLY BOUGHT SAMSUNG LCD...IMAGE MOVIE ALMOST PERFECT...ACTUALLY BETTER THAN REAL LIFE!

GRACIAS IN ADVANCE

There are some aftermarket lens companies that caters to this new HD format. Scheneider is one I can think of. Century Optics is another.

In this case I knew I had to buy HD-tuned glass lens, the WD-H43, which is different than the WD-43 from Canon. The HD designation is for the HD format, the 43 is the 43mm diameter thread size.

Don't go cheap (sub $ 100) upon buying the wide angle lens, you will compromise your high definition image.

The lens, when attached adds some front side heaviness. This for me adds a bit more better stability for handheld and steadicam shoots.

I have on the camera clear UV filter- between the camera and the wide angle lens. So when I remove the WD lens, the camera lens is still protected.

The WD-H43 has a wide angle ratio of 0.7 x. That lens widens an image by one third( if lens is at 35mm, with the WD it becomes 35 x 0.7=24.5 mm )

De Nada

Archived