Sea Sickness and kids?

Viper

This will be our first cruise with our kids (5 & 8) so we called their doctor to get a recomendation on sea sickness med. He told us kids do not get motion sickness and not to give them anything.:confused:

Have any of you with children had problems with them getting sick?

Hi, Our girls started cruising when they were 4 and 8. Five years later and 8 cruises under their belts, they have not had a problem with seasickness. Most children do not have a problem unless they suffer from motion sickness in general..ie car sickness. I'm sure they will be fine and you will have a great vacation!

Hi, Our girls started cruising when they were 4 and 8. Five years later and 8 cruises under their belts, they have not had a problem with seasickness. Most children do not have a problem unless they suffer from motion sickness in general..ie car sickness. I'm sure they will be fine and you will have a great vacation!

When we first started cruising our youngest was 9 I think. Yes she was. anyhow, she did get a little queasy at times but I didnt have to give her anything I just made sure she ate and stayed hydrated. But when we went on our 2nd cruise friends of ours had their dd with them and she was maybe 8 at the time and she did get seasick. her mom had went to her MD beforehand and talked to him about what meds to give, if any and he said to give 1/2 tab of Bonine. It did work although it made her tired so she gave her the dose at night. I would ask your doctor IF your dd WOULD get seasick what could you Safely give her??? Pose the question like that so he has to give you some type of answer. You should consult your doctor again because some medications you obviously cant take if you have allergies etc... But children can get seasick and they can get vertigo(dizzy) so ask him/her about these scenarios and what should you do if your child is the child he has not come across yet that does get seasick.:) I should also point out that my youngest dd was on her first cruise and by her third cruise she never had problems and her sister never had any seasickness. Also we were with a group of 20 - 30 people on all of our cruises and all of them had a lot of children with us and only the one was seasick. that is a good outcome I would say.

Host Mach

How many caps of ginger do you take a day?

We use meclizine. My kids started taking it at age 10.

I don't use any. I'm not prone to motion sickness and that's a good thing as a pilot! When I was a Flight Commander the kids that were in pilot training would occasionally get motion sickness. In order to avoid a trip to the flight surgeon and being grounded they discovered that ginger did wonders for keeping their stomachs from rebelling.

I've heard from many folks here on these boards that you should take one the night before you cruise and then one in the morning, one in the evening on your cruise. I've tried the capsules when I had an upset stomach and I can tell you that the relief occurs within a matter of minutes so you might also use them on an 'as necessary basis' too.

Hope this helps!!

We've been cruising with my 11 yr. old since he was 6. He gets very motion sickness in cars - pukes on planes, etc. We bought the seabands at Walmart before his first cruise. They're wonderful. It works on a pressure point in the wrists. He wears them whenever he starts to feel sick. Now he uses them on a plane, in the car, etc.

Ginger is great stuff - (for more reasons than squiggly tummies when cruising). If you take 2 capsules twice a day, starting a couple days before you go, then one capsule twice a day on the ship you won't have any problems.

My kids are now 9 and 11, and for them I bring along a 6 pack of those mini cans of gingerale. It's kind of a pain, but they pack pretty easy. (They don't like gingerbread, ginger cookies, candied ginger, and can't/won't take a pill)

It's inexpensive, and you can get it anywhere from the grocery store, pharmacy, to a health food store. (as a side note - it's supposed to be an excellent treatment for arthritis)

Anni

I've heard from many folks here on these boards that you should take one the night before you cruise and then one in the morning, one in the evening on your cruise. I've tried the capsules when I had an upset stomach and I can tell you that the relief occurs within a matter of minutes so you might also use them on an 'as necessary basis' too.

Hope this helps!!

Yup... I take it when I am feeling queasy... works very fast. I used to take it a few days before until I realized that it acts quickly and doesn't stay in your body for days :p I use it for hangovers as well :D I take a bottle of ginger on every cruise and most in my group know where to get it if they need it, LOL!! The stuff works wonders on a rocky day!!! Another thing that I take for other reasons, that I have found stave off nausea is Cinnamon...

For kids, they make a lot of "ginger" products for kids... including ginger pops. But I have also heard that kids don't get seasick... I've never seen a seasick kid, but it doesn't hurt to take something along just in case.

This will be our first cruise with our kids (5 & 8) so we called their doctor to get a recomendation on sea sickness med. He told us kids do not get motion sickness and not to give them anything.:confused:

If they don't have a history of motion sickness, you're probably going to be fine.

If they do get seasick, I'd recommend Whiskey as a remedy... Not for them, but for yourself. :)

My kids have never had a problem with seasickness on the ship but both my daughter and my husband didn't feel well when we went on a 40 sailboat. My thought is why take the chance. Even if a child isn't sensitive to motion sickness there are things that can contribute to it such as swimmers ear, and what are kids doing on a cruise, swimming.

I would get the seabands for kids you can get them at stores like Target, K-Mart or Wal-Mart or you can order them on-line. They cost about $7.00, you may not need them but I would rather spend the money and not use them than sit in my cabin with a sick child.;)

Hmm, kids don't get motion sick? That's a new one to me. Did he read that in a medical textbook? I doubt it. Some kids get motion sick in cars or on rides so why wouldn't they get motion sick on a cruise? I've always been prone to it and while I didnt' cruise til I was an adult, I've been motion sick in cars (as a child) and on a cruise until I took something. I remember as a child feeling the motion on a ferry. I think your doctor is wrong and I would question anything else he said considering anyone can get seasick. It's not age related. I personally use Bonine and ginger root.

Archived