Dunn's River Falls okay for pregnant women?

ws293

Should we go to the Dunn's River Falls with my wife in her 20th weeks of pregnancy?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should we go to the Dunn's River Falls with my wife in her 20th weeks of pregnancy?

• Yes, do whatever she wants
    • No
    • Yes, but use the stairs and do not climb the falls

Hi,

My wife and I thinking of going to the Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios Jamaica. She'll be in her 20th weeks of pregnancy during our cruise trip in October 24th, 2004.

If someone cannot climb it, is there a stairway beside it for you to go up? If my wife wants to go there, but she don’t want to climb it, is it okay for her just to go there for sight seeing without climbing? Does the tour ends or pick you up at the top of the waterfalls? How slippery is the rock when you walk around at the bottom of the Falls?

Overall, what do you think about the Dunn's River Falls okay or not for a 20th weeks pregnant woman?

Thanks

It has been a few years since I have been, but there are steps along side that people can use to view the falls. I would strongly suggest that your wife (while pregnant) use the steps and NOT try to climb the waterfall itself! It is very slippery and not worth the risk. When we did it a lady fell and broke her leg, so no matter what the guide may tell you there are risks.

She can get some terrific photos of you climbing though! And the tour picks you up at the top of the falls.

Have a terrific time!!!

Evonne

I wouldn't advise it. It's not like going up a set of steps that water happens to be rushing over. Some of the 'steps' require climbing up a boulder that is better than two feet high. The guide kept a firm grip on my 8-year old's hand and literally hoisted her up in the air several times to get to the next level. To make matters more precarious, you really can't see where you are putting your feet.

At that stage of pregnancy, you're just starting to come to grips with your loss of flexibility. Dunn's River Falls isn't the place to make some hard discoveries about your new physical limitations.

Goodness I would not even consider it!! There are so many slimy rocks to slip on and deep pits to fall in. It is also a very strenuous climb. If she wants to see them there are steps going all the way up the falls and she can even slip into some calm little pools along the way up to cool off.

Have a wonderful cruise and congrats on your upcomming baby.

Bev

We were there two weeks ago and it is not worth the risk. This was the second time I climbed and being older and wiser I saw things that made me nervous… Example - panicky people that would pull you down because they were slipping. It is not worth your unborn child’s safety. The rocks are very slick and there are a lot of boulders you do not see until you step on them. Take pictures and enjoy the memories.

I wouln't but I know of a coworker who did when she was 5 months pregnant. She turned out fine no probs, but a little risky and slippery. You have to hold hands and I'd sure hate for that person on the other end to drag her down. She can go to the park and watch and enjoy everything else though.

Under no circumstances should a pregnancy be put at risk climbing in Dunn's River Falls.

I heartily agree with the suggestion to have her walk the steps beside the falls and attempt to get some good and fun pictures of you doing your climb.

The bus from the ship will let you off and pick you up from a parking lot at the top of the falls. Visitors use the steps to reach the bottom of the falls and then have the option of either going back up via the same steps or joining a climb in the water, up the falls. There is a lovely beach area at the base of the falls, and if she wants to get in the water, that's the best place for it. The steps provide all the beauty of the falls without the danger to her and the baby.

CM

Thank you everyone for your replies.

First, let me clarify that my wife never intend to climb that falls. We were wondering if there is an easier alternative stairway or steps to get to the top of the falls instead of climbing the rock. Base on what you all say, there is a stairway alternative to go up to the top of the falls? Does anyone have pictures on what this stairway looks like?

Thanks

I don't have a picture of the stairs that she would be walking paralel with the falls, but she should have a great time watching. As others have mentioned there are some places in the falls that she could cool off that would be safe for her to wade into. The stairs are made of concrete and are very safe with a railing. We had some older people on our cruise that took pictures of our group as they made it up the falls. Even for a fit person, the falls can be tricky. You can not be sure of your footing because of the slippery rocks that you step on and when you are holding another persons hand they can pull you down when they are unbalanced.

Congrats on your future new arrival.......if this is your first....your life will start to change.

Hi everyone,

Again thank you for your replies and congratulations on our upcoming baby. Yes, this is our first baby.

I was looking over the shore excursions and there is one called "Shore Park Beach"

"Departing from the cruise ship pier where your transportation awaits, is a short ten-minute drive through the resort town of Ocho Rios. You will arrive at Shaw Park Beach and the White River, whereupon guests will be greeted with a welcome drink before enjoying a lazy day at this wonderful beach. Swim in the Caribbean Sea, enjoy the view or take a swim in the river.

Your tour will conclude back at the pier or you may choose to be dropped off at a nearby shopping center within walking distance of your ship."

Is Shore Park Beach at the bottom of the Dunn's River falls? Has anyone took this particular excursion?

Thanks

I climbed DRF at 7 months pregnant. My favorite "belly shot" picture is of me in the falls. I did not think I was taking a risk at the time, but looking back, I think that was probably not the smartest thing to do. (I also learned to snow ski while pregant but that was another child). I guess I feel pretty invincable while pregnant.

So even though I did it with no problem, I still recommend taking the stairs.

Just got back from there and the water is high and very strong - we were strugling at some areas. It is so unpredictible when you will be in deep/shallow water that at any time you fall 2 ft below water. Out of 8 of us, only 2 came out without some battle wounds! It was a blast but never would I even think about it pregnant. We also did the water river tubing, not the rafting, in ochos and that would be ok and fun while pregnant......it is slow runing water and you paddle along then we went back and had lunch - it was great.........

have fun

If she doesn't feel like treking up those stairs in the heat of Jamaica, there are a couple of 'landings' toward the top of the falls where she can sit and wait. They are shaded and have benches. There are steps (2-3) down the side to a 'pool' area of the falls if she wants to get wet. She'll be able to see you when you come up and get some photos of you before you start up the last bit of the falls. A nice little area to people watch (coming up the falls), read, etc. Just beware of locals trying to sell you stuff-just ignore them and they will move onto someone else but the minute you answer a question-they latch onto you!

As you have said twice, your wife is not intending on directly climbing the falls so that is not your question. The answer to your question is that yes there are stairs along the falls to climb and a few places to sit. So if your wife is having a fine pregancy and is in shape to climb up stairs, then this should not be a problem for her and she can take pics of you as your climbing or she can sit on the bottom by the coke stand under some umbrella tables. On the bottom of the Falls (where u start your climb) is Shaw beach. It is a nice Jamaican beach where you can swim. The Falls are the best part of Ochos Rios, just to see them is great. Hope all goes well -enjoy your vacation and then new baby!!

You can get some really great pictures of your wife and you standing under the falls at various levels without actually climbing the falls. The steps are very convient, and there are entrances at different levels to enter the falls and take pictures. Its really nice years later to look back at the places you visited while pregant and show your children the pictures of themselves while they were in your belly! The water is very cool and refreshing and Jamaica is very HOT! The Falls is a must do. Best part of the whole cruise according to my 2 daughters.

Look on Webshots under Dunn's River Falls for pictures. There are lots of pistures and some of them show the stairs. It looks like some of the steps lead right into the water. They are probably the steps for the guides/photographers. Maybe she can join you in the water at some flat areas for pictures. Have a great time!:cool:

How about this? Don't go to the falls this time (either of you). That way your Wife won't have to watch you from the stairs while you have a blast on the falls OR you won't have to ruin your fun while worrying about your poor pregnant Wife falling right beside you while you both climb. Just don't go and make it a point to go to Ocho Rios on a future cruise so you can both go to and enjoy the falls together!

Archived