When a cabin upgrade is not an upgrade

spoona

don't be depressed there's always a silver lining with most things.

Glad he finally popped the question

We will be married 23 years in april and mine still hasn't.

I told him my biological clock was ticking and if he wasn't going to marry me he had to move on.

Now he says I forced him!

Yeah right!

:( Hmmm now I'm depressed. I'm new to cruising and thought an upgrade, meant an upgrade (as in better cabin). Wonder if I can just stick with what I've booked then.

Christine

Often an upgrade works out beautifully, but going to the origin of the thread, some category upgrades may not suit the person being upgraded. The CC or C cabins might be perfectly OK, but will rock more in rough seas.

Keep an eye on your personaliser for cabin numbers. The other plus about CC & C cabins is that there are only a limited number of them and you may get upgraded past them to balcony relatively easily.

If you want to hope for a cabin better than paid for, tick the upgrade box

If you want a specific cabin \ location, choose your cabin & do not tick the upgrade box

Often an upgrade works out beautifully, but going to the origin of the thread, some category upgrades may not suit the person being upgraded. The CC or C cabins might be perfectly OK, but will rock more in rough seas.

Keep an eye on your personaliser for cabin numbers. The other plus about CC & C babins is that there are only a limited number of them and you may get upgraded past them to balcony relatively easily.

If you want to hope for a cabin better than paid for, tick the upgrade box

If you want a specific cabin \ location, choose your cabin & do not tick the upgrade box

Yep that is what I'm thinking. Either way we plan on having a good time on the cruise. Thanks for your advice.

Christine

Forced him...Men lol. Anyway my other half says if I keep on reading these boards nothing is going to be a surprise on the cruise. I said it still will be. I just like to research that's all :D

Christine

My husband is glad I do it

He doesn't have to worry,

I spend months and months planning our holidays,

And just like our marriage - he doesn't have to think about it-

Just show up on take D. Day

Which he does-

He says

'just go ahead and book it and then you'll stop going on'

which I do

but of course I still go on about it too!

Yeah

It works for us and we pretty much like the same thing.

Our camping and backpacking days are over.

We like luxury now and we have timeshare weeks which enables us to travel in a degree of comfort very cheaply.

We are the moderately sedentary type of travellers-

Hiking in the tropical jungle-on elephants etc,

safaris in tents!

FORGET It

give me the remote control and coach tour any day-lunch included!

Hope you get your balcony.

CC and C category cabins are also classed as upgrades too. Instead of mid on caribe, you could be upgraded to extreme forward or extreme aft on Aloha or Baja. Looking at the deckplan, there is something unappealing about A216 and A225 and hard to believe they are ranked in the best block of outside cabins. Is a strange system that says the higher the deck, the better the cabin.

I would take those two cabins as an upgrade with no problems! We spent a lot of time on that deck in Jan and the toilets get used very rarely.Walk out of your cabin onto an empty deck with spa,s! The deck gets used mainly between 10 and 4 and the stairs eitherside are not used much,they lead up to the outside seating for the buffet.Most people on that deck have a balcony so dont venture all the way down the hallway to the rear as the lifts and stairs are a better option.also people on other decks dont wonder around Aloha deck they use the outside stairs from the deck below to access the spa,s.A216 and A225 are exelent cabins,but the inside A218 and A227 are connected to the spa pumps and filters and would imagine they get quite noisy at times.

You will always find a lounge chair free on this rear deck,unlike some of the others,and is handy to just pop up the outside stairs to the buffet and bring some food back to where you are sunbathing(or shade chasing).

Den

I would take those two cabins as an upgrade with no problems! We spent a lot of time on that deck in Jan and the toilets get used very rarely.Walk out of your cabin onto an empty deck with spa,s! The deck gets used mainly between 10 and 4 and the stairs eitherside are not used much,they lead up to the outside seating for the buffet.Most people on that deck have a balcony so dont venture all the way down the hallway to the rear as the lifts and stairs are a better option.also people on other decks dont wonder around Aloha deck they use the outside stairs from the deck below to access the spa,s.A216 and A225 are exelent cabins,but the inside A218 and A227 are connected to the spa pumps and filters and would imagine they get quite noisy at times.

You will always find a lounge chair free on this rear deck,unlike some of the others,and is handy to just pop up the outside stairs to the buffet and bring some food back to where you are sunbathing(or shade chasing).

Den

ooooh thankyou Den:) we are booked in A201 for that reason, sounds great!! spas and easy access to the buffet!! Icy told me she spent heaps of time on this rear deck.

Chez

xx

Wow so many cruises. This is our first also and we are really looking forward to it. Since hearing from a lot of people on here how wonderful a Balcony cabin is I'm tempted to just pay more and just go ahead and book one. Our last big vacation was to Europe but that was very hectic, so it'll be a nice change just cruising for ten days.

Christine

If you can afford the extra and balconies are still available on your cruise then you should do it!The balcony cabins are on a wait list on most Dawn cruises and the closer to the cruise the more people are trying to pay for an upgrade to a balcony,that is why people with a garanteed balcony get upgraded to a mini suite,thats what happened to us,many people on our last cruise had been on a wait list for a balcony for months and only a few got them! If there is a chance of an upgrade to a mini suite then you have to have a balcony to start with,and let me tell you it is well worth it.

Den

Den

But compared to the originally booked, it will move more in rough seas. I know that sea sickness does not affect us, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Is in a very similar location to our cabin, except it was a mini suite. On one rough night we went up & down a lot, watching the horizon move like a yoyo. To be extremely aft and have a mishap with a toilet, it would hardly be an upgrade. You can still walk to those decks from midship.

But compared to the originally booked, it will move more in rough seas. I know that sea sickness does not affect us, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Is in a very similar location to our cabin, except it was a mini suite. On one rough night we went up & down a lot, watching the horizon move like a yoyo. To be extremely aft and have a mishap with a toilet, it would hardly be an upgrade. You can still walk to those decks from midship.

Yes you can walk from midship to the rear exit but there is a sort of dogleg in the hallway that is a bit disorintating? makes it feel as if its leading nowhere,or you are going the wrong way?And the door is only on the port side so if you wonder down the other side you come to a dead end.It took me a few days to work out that I could walk from my cabin around midship to the rear deck and spa's,also the door is small and could be mistaken for a service entrance. The toilets at the rear only contain 1 cubical each(no urinal in the gents) on the far rear wall, with the sink and vanity adjoining the wall to the cabins,these toilets were spotless and am sure would be locked by nightfall?

I felt a bit queezy on our roughest days but found midship and far forward to to be worse? Espesially the foyer where the pursers desk was,and for some reason the rear of the Dawn felt the most comfortable? Up and down movment but no drift. Our bath tub became a mini wave pool on a couple of occasions and when you consider they run east west or port to starboard,then that is a lot of rolling for a midship cabin.

Den

I was on Den's cruise and we had cabins C263 and C267 - which I thought were excellent considering the price we paid. The deck plans of the Dawn did not show a public area out the back on that level so I was very surprised when we arrived and had an access door to a rear deck. I'll post a photo as soon as I find it.

It was EXCELLENT - and no one else ever went there. We could duck straight up the back stairs to the buffet and would often get our food and then come down and sit on our back deck to eat it. I didn't get seasick once even when the ship was rocking around a fair bit. It was great being able to go right out our cabin door and then staright outside. It was the best inside cabin I've ever been in. And the beds were positioned against the side wall of the cabin which I think is a far better layout.

I was on Den's cruise and we had cabins C263 and C267 - which I thought were excellent considering the price we paid. The deck plans of the Dawn did not show a public area out the back on that level so I was very surprised when we arrived and had an access door to a rear deck. I'll post a photo as soon as I find it.

It was EXCELLENT - and no one else ever went there. We could duck straight up the back stairs to the buffet and would often get our food and then come down and sit on our back deck to eat it. I didn't get seasick once even when the ship was rocking around a fair bit. It was great being able to go right out our cabin door and then staright outside. It was the best inside cabin I've ever been in. And the beds were positioned against the side wall of the cabin which I think is a far better layout.

Sounds good. The more I read I'm not too worried what I get, if I get an upgrade.

Christine

I dont know why but the rear of the Dawn seemed to move around a lot less than the middle or front? It may have been because we were quite high? The few people that I see Physicaly sea sick at the buffet were always comming in from the pool area at midship.

Also next time on the Dawn I will use the rear deck for sailaway as you will get a good open air view which seems to have less wind than the top walkway.

Libby do you have any pics of your cabin? As next cruise will have to be a cheaper one than the last and I fancey the rear cabins,the rear deck remineds me of the P/S and i like the ease of getting to the main area "Buffet and dinning room" espesially with there being a drinks waiter serving these rear deck for most of the day.

Den.

Archived