Looking for Hawaiian shirts

ghoterman

Any recommendations for a good selection and reasonable price for Hawaiian shirts?We will be in Waikiki the day before our cruise starts and Hilo and Lahaina are 2 of our earliest ports.Our group wanted to get some shirts and have our pictures made during the cruise.

I can't make any helpful suggestions as to where

But I was a clothing buyer for many years at a University Bookstore. Something that is often overlooked with those type of shirts that can help determine the higher quality is, when buttoned up, the patters from one side should continue onto the otherside. Most just sort of end and then sort of startup again without any flow or continuation of the pattern. I hope you understand what I mean.

I pointed it out to my wife on some of the shirts we saw in Hawaii. She said that was the first time she had ever thought about it but from then on she kept pointing out the shirts with a continuous pattern. LOL

I appreciate the info.MBisson, I understand what you mean about the patterns.I've seen the same type of thing with plaids.

I'm glad you understood. I went back & read what I had written and it confused the stuffin' out of me ;)

We found good prices at Walmart, and then we saw the exact fabric--with the patterns matching--at Hilo Hattie's for a higher price. The rayon ones are much nicer, and they don't wrinkle as badly.

My husband bought a golf type knitted shirt at Macy's in Honolulu, and then saw the same fabric at Walmart in Kona for much, much less.

If you want real original shirts you can order online from Hilo Hattie's (http://www.hilohattie.com/). This is the store with "everything Hawaiian" that you'll find all over the islands,

http://www.hilohattie.com/

Reposting the link ... the ) at the end stops it from loading. Thank you for the link. I'm going to check it out.

There's a Sears in Hilo. We usually go to the one in Honolulu at the Ala Moana Shopping Center or the one in Kailua (also Oahu) and the one in Kahului, Maui, so I don't know how the selection is in Hilo. The prices are usually excellent, the selection is very good (all the major brands), and there are almost always special sales. Our favorite fabric is the really fine cotton lawn.

beachchick

I was planning on heading to the Ala Moana Center on one of my pre-cruise days. The Hawaiian print tops and dresses I bought there years ago lasted for years. I did my shopping at Sears and Penneys. The prices were relatively reasonable and the quality was top notch.

My favorite dress was from Penneys ... is that store still there?

No offense, but most locals won't be caught dead wearing hilo hattie, especially those cute aloha shirts for him with the matching mumus for her. HA! You can spot a tourist a mile a way! Hilo Hatties does have a free bus, a large selection, and the folks at the store are really nice.

You can get some good Aloha shirts at Costco, Sears and Macy's. Both are at Ala Moana Center and there is also a Macy's downtown. Good brands include (but are not limited to): Reyns, Cooke Street, Barefoot, Ono, and Riggers.

Harley Davidson fans can get some cool motorcycle aloha shirts at the HD store at Ala Moana.

You can occassionally find some good shirts at Salvation Army on Waialae Ave in Kaimuki for about $5 each. Don't expect most of them to be in "go out to dinner at a nice place" shape, but they are good for just wondering around and going to the beach.

I recommend the 100% cotton shirts with the reverse print (darker inside than out), button-down collars, button on back of collar, and a pocket that has been so expertly placed you can't tell it's there (due to the pocket matching that spot on the shirt design perfectly).

Rule of thumb IMHO: if you are older or overweight and have difficulty stretching your arms up or just like the look --- get the shirts that have buttons all the way down. Otherwise, the pullovers with about 3 or 4 buttons look sharper.

Don't be intimidated by the previous poster and the comments about "Hilo Hattie's." First: more than likely you're not a "local" and it doesn't matter where you shop. Secondly: like any store, you'll find "tacky" shirts that's you'd never buy ... including the shirt-moo moo combinations. On the other hand, you'll also find VERY nice shirts that will be valuable additions to your wardrobe. I'm very picky about my shirts, and I had no problems finding a very nice one at Hilo Hattie's.

Don't be intimidated by the previous poster and the comments about "Hilo Hattie's." First: more than likely you're not a "local" and it doesn't matter where you shop. Secondly: like any store, you'll find "tacky" shirts that's you'd never buy ... including the shirt-moo moo combinations. On the other hand, you'll also find VERY nice shirts that will be valuable additions to your wardrobe. I'm very picky about my shirts, and I had no problems finding a very nice one at Hilo Hattie's.

BigGuy25 said it right!

Don't worry too much about where you buy your shirts. You'll see them everywhere with prices starting in the 10-15 range and going up to whatever you want to pay. We bought a couple that seemed nice to us off of the closeout rack at H. Hatties...$25 marked down from $70

There is quite a bit of truth to that. The whole family matching deal isn't our thing, but I'm not going to laugh at people who do enjoy the loud, matching prints. (Well, okay, the truth is that I did laugh at my parents when they bought bright green and orange--we're talking practically neon--and brought us kids back shirts to match. But I promise, I don't laugh at anyone else.)

We always check out HH because I like some of their pareo prints and they've got ones that really work for a short chick like me. I really like the ones they've got with wrap ties. As well, they carry many designer shirts--at full price (as you'll find on the ships). We buy the exact same ones at Sears for 1/3 of the price on sale.

beachchick

p.s., I have to laugh a "moo-moo"--I hope we don't look quite like cows in our mu'umu'us.:p:D

I bought 6 last Sunday at JC Penneym 2 cotton, 2 rayon and 2 cotton and rayon. They were on sale (as were the men's shorts) and there was also an email coupon for an additional 20% off. Such a deal! The summer stuff had just been put in the store and there was lots to choose from.

I bought two at Walmart in Hilo, one at Costco in Kauai, and two at the Aloha Swap Meet in Honolulu. Didn't buy anything at Hilo Hattie's - too expensive. Walmart had the best prices for Hawaiian shirts and t-shirts. My wife bought t-shirts for all 24 of her students at Walmart. Costco had more subtle print on their shirts.

You can get some pretty cool screened t-shirts at Bonzai Pipeline (across from Sunset Beach Elementary School) and Waimea on the North Shore for $5 each. (Just be carefull, a couple of the shirts offered are iron-on tranfers). All sizes. All white. Long sleves or XXL $2 more.

We bought some cotton shirts at Hilo Hattes and thought they were fairly priced also bought a couple at Casual Man XL before we left which were rayon. DW has a real nose for the sale rack and she did real well on a few tops and dresses at Hilo Hattes. Hillo Hattes had some terrific all silk shirts but they start to get spendy, fortunately they didn't have my size becuase I was going down for the count.

As you are in Honolulu before your trip there is a Ross Dress for Less downtown on the Fort (or Fourth) St. Mall and they had a bunch of shirts for cheap but didn't have my size xxl to xxxl; their mensware is on the basement level.

Archived