Clothes for 15 yo boy

crewmom24

We are taking our kids on their first cruise and I am wanting some help with what clothes to bring for my 15 yo son. He wears jeans and a hoodie to school every day and doesn't like to dress up but is willing to at least wear slacks and a nice shirt. He has nothing appropriate so we will have to go shopping. Does he need a suit for formal nights? We are going to be on the Crown Princess March 15-22nd. I'll make him dress up at least one night, but otherwise could he just eat at the poolside places or deli without dressing up? Can they just wear shorts and a t-shirt when they aren't in the dining room?My 13 yo daughter will love dressing up and we also are bringing our almost 4yo dd and 20 mo dd.

Debbie

We are taking our kids on their first cruise and I am wanting some help with what clothes to bring for my 15 yo son. He wears jeans and a hoodie to school every day and doesn't like to dress up but is willing to at least wear slacks and a nice shirt. He has nothing appropriate so we will have to go shopping. Does he need a suit for formal nights? We are going to be on the Crown Princess March 15-22nd. I'll make him dress up at least one night, but otherwise could he just eat at the poolside places or deli without dressing up? Can they just wear shorts and a t-shirt when they aren't in the dining room?My 13 yo daughter will love dressing up and we also are bringing our almost 4yo dd and 20 mo dd.

Debbie

If he is eating some where besides the dining room the shorts and t-shirt are fine. For the dining room the slacks and nice shirt would be fine for casual nights. But on formal nights most men wear suits & ties, you'll even see some in Tuxes and on the flip side of that you'll see at least one person who decides their blue jeans are formal wear. I have a DS(5) and DD(3). Be sure to get a family photo on board when you get everyone all dressed up!:)

Debbie

On Crown Princess in October there were lots of young people. Some dressed up, some went with shirt & tie, some pants & shirt, & believe it or not on formal night some wore grubby jeans, shorts & sideways baseball caps. Nobody liked seeing that, & I would discourage it if I were you. If your son wants to wear nice pants & a clean shirt, everyone will be happy.

Steve

We are taking our kids on their first cruise and I am wanting some help with what clothes to bring for my 15 yo son. He wears jeans and a hoodie to school every day and doesn't like to dress up but is willing to at least wear slacks and a nice shirt.

Your son doesn't really need a suit. A shirt & tie without a jacket is fine for a teen.

My son is the same age, and I told him he had to dress up. But I let him pick the clothes himself. He picked a black (yes, black) shirt with a silver tie and I have to admit, it looked good. He looked dressy, but not dorky. His little sister said he "looked like a movie star or something".

The point being that it was important that the clothes were his choice. You have to accept that he's going to be more concerned about what the 15 yo girls on the cruise think he looks like than his mom.

...He wears jeans and a hoodie to school every day and doesn't like to dress up but is willing to at least wear slacks and a nice shirt. He has nothing appropriate so we will have to go shopping. Does he need a suit for formal nights? ...

My son lives in shorts and t-shirts. On the cruise he knows that more formal attire is expected and has learned to adapt to the situation. I think dressing up and eating in the dining room is good practice for all young kids.

Archived