Can you drink the water?

oswaldjacoby

maxamus, love the cat! I have 4 of my own.

Anywhere you go in Mexico, they will serve you bottled water. As said before nobody drinks the tap water. Not to worry, worring will make you sick anywhere. Just enjoy. Also the ice is safe and made from purified water.

Have a great trip,

Scruffers

Puerto Vallarta has one of the best water systems in the world....I have drunk from the taps many times down here....that said I do mainly drink bottled water when I am there mostly because I am in the habit of doing so when I am home or in the States...partly because as much as the water itself is very very clean I am not sure that the pipes that are in the building that I might be at are the newest, cleanest that they might be.

Other ports I am not sure about....I don't think it is so much *bad* water I think it is the fact that they have different bacteria then what we might be used to!!

I know many Mexicans who have *tummy* problems when they come up here...different bacteria then what they are used to :eek:

I also drink the tap water (in the cities, not outlying areas). That said, unless you are planning on sitting in a bar or restaurant all day, you need to carry bottled water with you. In PV, Soriano's and Walmart are right by the pier, and water is very cheap at both.

:eek: Ew...one time in Ensenada we saw a man filling up bottles of water from a spicket....and putting caps on them for selling...we only drink in the nice bars and eating places at all the ports...

In PV you won't see vendors selling bottled water on the street. And even if they were, it's pretty easy to tell if a bottle of water has been opened.

:eek: Ew...one time in Ensenada we saw a man filling up bottles of water from a spicket....and putting caps on them for selling...we only drink in the nice bars and eating places at all the ports...

How long did you have to stand there and watch him doing that?? You actually saw him then sell the water??

If that is what he was doing and I was watching, I would have to discreetly tell the people, that were buying the water,assuming they didn't notice the broken cap.....

Are you just assuming that was what he was doing?? Amazing............:rolleyes:

We live in PV for much of the winter, and this city is one of the only Mexican cities where the tap water meets all the highest international standards. However, the infrastructure and pipes and not always as good. Although the tap water is relatively safe here, most of us drink only bottled water just to be extra safe. However, visitors to PV can trust the water and ice served in almost any bar or restaurant since they all use bottled water and pure ice. In fact, the restaurants here have caught-on to the "water con" we see stateside. These days many will ask you if you want bottled water so they can sell you a bottle. If you get the house water, it also comes out of a bottle although than its from the 20 liter bottles similar to what most of us have in our condos. As I previously posted, the cost of a 20 liter bottle (this is about 5 gallons) is about $2.10 in PV.

Hank

We saw people filling bottles from a gutter in Bali. Make sure you hear that nice little pop when you unscrew your bottle!!!

Do not drink tap water. As mentioned before, Mexicans don't drink it and only use purified ice as well. They also wash their vegies in the bacteria cleaner. Good ice is usually square with a hole in it. Block ice is not purified. Some beach palapas will bring you beer in a bucket with block ice. Make sure you rinse the top off and wipe before you stick the bottle in your mouth.

Don't live in fear. Unless you eat at some "off the beaten path" location, you'll be fine in all the Ports. Just take precautions and use common sense. We just went to Zihuatanejo and ate lunch at our surf instructors house/shanty. As the meal was finishing, I noticed 4 people in our group had not used common sense and ate the lettuce. 8 hours later.....they were paying the price!!!

Archived