Samana, Sunday February 17

mother goose

Had been waiting on another post regarding taxi & boat going to Playa Rincon from Casa Dorado. I have not seen a recent post, so I have contacted Roberto directly myslef and he can accomodate another group of 10 for a similar excursion with snorkeling if desired. It is just 2 people so far, so anyone intested please respond ASAP. This sounds like one of the nicest excursions in Samana. We are arriving on the NCL Jewel.

Had been waiting on another post regarding taxi & boat going to Playa Rincon from Casa Dorado. I have not seen a recent post, so I have contacted Roberto directly myslef and he can accomodate another group of 10 for a similar excursion with snorkeling if desired. It is just 2 people so far, so anyone intested please respond ASAP. This sounds like one of the nicest excursions in Samana. We are arriving on the NCL Jewel.

We would be interested. There are 3 of us. We were going to do Whales but we did not hear great things. Let us know details. These were the details posted on the 2/15/08 Jewel Board. I think this trip is full. Tell us about the one with Roberto. Originally Posted by lucrob

I plan to book a private tour to Playa Rincon (Conde Nast Traveler ranked this beach as world's 10 best) with Casa Dorado in Samana for Feb. 17.

If you read thru the posts in Dominican Republic, Casa Dorado has gotten favourable reviews. Below please see the email Casa Dorado has sent me.

"Lucy,

Thank you for your interest in Casa Dorado!! Below is the info on our excursions. All prices are based on up to 10 people, not per person.

Playa Rincon Excursion - Conde Nast Traveler ranked this beach as one of the world's 10 best. It's so splendid, in fact, that many Dominicans refer to it as the most beautiful on the island. Over three miles long, Playa Rincon is surrounded by coconut palms and almond trees, not to mention a 2,000 foot mountain on one end. The best way to get to this isolated beach is by boat; a ride that is definitely worth it.

Round-trip boat ride from Las Galeras main beach to Playa Rincon is $140 for up to 10 people. There are several small restaurants on Playa Rincon, where you can order a fish, lobster or chicken lunch.

Snorkeling at La Playita/Playa Rincon Excursion - Round-trip boat ride to la Playita to snorkel followed by swimming at Playa Rincon. We provide all snorkeling equipment and ice cold water. The price of the trip is $220 for up to 10 people. Lunch can be ordered in La Playita and cooked while you snorkel.

We can reserve a taxi that will be waiting for you on the Samana boat Dock and will bring you straight to Las Galeras main beach and return you at your leisure.

The taxi is $70/roundtrip for up to 8 people and $80/roundtrip for 9-10 people. The taxi is a large van/small bus that easily fits 10 passengers.

Let me know if you have any questions. Many small parties have been finding other cruise ship passengers to fill the taxi and boat with 10 people. This comes out much more economical.

Catherine Guzman

I hope to get a total of 10 people; I have 4 right now. Please let me know if you're interested in this tour. If we get 10 people, the total cost p/p would be $22 all-in return trip. (That includes the taxi and boat ride to Playa Rincon, return trip). Diane

I also did not hear good things about the whale watching... Sounds like several people got sick and also it sounds like if the whales are there, you have just as much chance to see them from the ship. Unfortunately, I am at work today and have my emails from Roberto at home. They sound pretty flexible as far as what you can do. I had asked about the $22 per person rate - but he said that is just for the boat to the island. With the taxi it would be around $30. However, we would need 10 people for that. I have Roberto's cell phone number (again at home) and I mentioned the possibility of snorkeling which he said was a possibility. I can send you his email when I get home today if you'd like... Otherwise, how do we go about getting in touch with each other on the ship? We've been on several cruises but I have just started using these boards for communicating. P.S. If you have the internet, plug in Casa Dorado and you will see how beautiful it looks.

I also did not hear good things about the whale watching... Sounds like several people got sick and also it sounds like if the whales are there, you have just as much chance to see them from the ship. Unfortunately, I am at work today and have my emails from Roberto at home. They sound pretty flexible as far as what you can do. I had asked about the $22 per person rate - but he said that is just for the boat to the island. With the taxi it would be around $30. However, we would need 10 people for that. I have Roberto's cell phone number (again at home) and I mentioned the possibility of snorkeling which he said was a possibility. I can send you his email when I get home today if you'd like... Otherwise, how do we go about getting in touch with each other on the ship? We've been on several cruises but I have just started using these boards for communicating. P.S. If you have the internet, plug in Casa Dorado and you will see how beautiful it looks.

Is this the company? We are having a meet and great on Saturday on the ship for Cruise Critic members it is at 10:30 am on the deck 6 at Maltings Beer and Whiskey Bar. We can talk then. I did try e-mailing Casa Dora although I have not received a response. We are leaving in the next couple of hours. I do not know what my internet availability will be. Diane

When visiting Las Galeras, you can count on Casa Dorado to coordinate your outings at sea. From adventuring into Samana Bay to see humpback whales to relaxing on the beach at Rincon, Casa Dorado organizes trips for two or twenty. Our experienced captain and guide will ensure you have a safe, fun trip.

Las Galeras is an easy taxi ride from the Samana boat

dock, where the Norwegian Cruise Lines docks.

Each year humpback whales return to Bahia de Samana to give birth and mate. From January until March, males compete for the attentions of females through a series of acrobatic activities including breeching, twirling and an activity called "spyhopping" in which the whale lifts its head out of the water for up to 30 seconds for a look around. Samana's whales are truly an international treasure and are fully protected by the Dominican government. Casa Dorado is a fully licensed whale watching tour operator. Our boat departs from Las Galeras.

$50/person for a minimum of 6 people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please contact us at info@casadoradodr.com

or call 1-829-221-2493 to learn more

At the foot of the surrounding mountains at the west end of the bay is Playa Rincon, "corner beach" in Spanish. Ranked among the finest beaches in the world, Rincon is a "must see" on any visitors list. Local women serve fresh coconut, fish and Dominican specialities right on the beach. You'll see the untouched hills around Playa Rincon on the 10 minute boat ride from the main beach in Las Galeras. Casa Dorado can show you undisturbed beaches in the area that only the locals know. Most are accessible by boat only.

Round-trip boat ride from Las Galeras main beach to Playa Rincon is $140 for up to 10 people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Combo Trip - Snorkeling, Swimming and Lunch at La Playita beach

Round-trip boat ride to la Playita to snorkel, lunch at La Playita, followed by swimming at Playa Rincon. We provide all snorkeling equipment and ice cold water.

The price is $220 for up to 10 people.

Diving from La Playita beach

A one-tank is $50/perperson. A two-tank dive is $80.

This can also be followed by lunch on the Playita beach. Certification required to dive.

Snorkeling Trip at La Playita

La Playita offers the best snorkeling in the area. Up to 10 people can snorkel from the boat off of La Playita Beach. We provide all snorkeling equipment and ice cold water.

After snorkeling you can relax on La Playita beach.

The price is $180 for up to 10 people.

©2006 Casa Dorado. All Rights Reserved.

Archived