Snorkeling for those who cannot swim?

schmolke

Hi, I've been reading this thread and have to pipe in. My father can't swim at all and we went to Mexico and we explored all the cenotes and caves snorkeling. He had no problem at all as the salt water kept him afloat and we were in very deep water!! Good Luck.

Originally posted by schmolke:

Oh, and FYI folks, hubby's main debate point is about the ability to change and dry off AFTER the snorkeling. If we snorkel in Kona, and go in the morning, he's afraid we'll be wet the rest of the day, driving around in the rental car. However, in Waikiki, post cruise, we'll be able to go back to the hotel, and there's less time constraints (don't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time, or using too much precious port time). So, please tell me there are places to change and/or dry off sufficiently at Kahalu'u after snorkeling!! Any help is needed, because I need a counterpoint to his argument.

Schmolke

There are very nice restrooms, at the least, in which to change. That's probably the best you'd get anyways. Hawaii State Beach Parks are all just wonderful, I have found. I didn't find any pretty coral at Kahalu'u Bay, just to be clear. But unfortunately, I didn't have much time to snorkel - Mom wasn't feeling well.

Just noticed you will be on Infinity next March. I went to Hawaii on her last March. Had a corner Cat 3 on the stern (I think they've been renamed family suites). You will see whales everywhere you go! We'd sit and watch them from the balcony, even when "anchored" at Maui and Kona. Everytime we'd stop at any beach on any island.

I'd try to take some type of water excursion when at Maui if you'd like to see even more.

Have a great cruise!

Sammy

Hey, thanks to all you folks for your input!

hancock - From everything I've heard and read, Hanamua might just be too crowded, especially those days that the cruise ships are in. I want my first snorkel to be memorable, but in a good way! I'll chalk up your input as one for my side of the great debate with hubby!

jysrnsn - Thanks for piping in! Glad your father got to experience snorkeling, since he's as much a swimmer as I am! Don't think I'd be brave enough to let just saltwater content keep me buoyed....think I'll stick to the added pschological security of a flotation vest!

Sammy - Yet ANOTHER argument for my side of the debate! I figured my hair won't be too dry in Hawaii anyway, what with the humidity and what that does to my type of fine, curly hair! As long as we can change from the swimsuits to the regular clothes, we'll be good.

I know it's 10 months away, but I am really excited about this! Thanks to you all for helping me make this decision, and for all the great ideas.

Devonne

Celebrity Infinity (Hawaii) - March 2005

Star Princess (Alaska) - September 2003

Regal Princess (Alaska) - August 2002

Hmmmmm...maybe that'll be a compromise for the great debate. We've got so many things planned for Oahu that we might not have time to snorkel there anyway.

Devonne

Since the boards were messed up, I'm gonna bump this...

So, what are some good places to rent snorkel gear in Kona (and Waikiki, if the urge strikes?) I heard one suggestion of Miller's in Kona, for about $7pp. I'm guessing since I'll be needing that flotation vest that our outlay of cash may be a bit more, but how much could that be?

I looked at the Entertainment Book site, and saw offers for Boss Frogs...anyone worked with them?

Travel Channel's had a few Hawaii things on the past couple of days. Seen 'em before, but love to watch anyway!

Later,

Devonne

I don't have time to read the whole thread, but I gather you want info about showers and changing etc in Kona.

At Kahulu'u there are bathrooms/changing rooms and you can rinse off outside (I'm almost 100% sure). You can also rent snorkle gear right there and you can get something to eat and drink too. Very tourist friendly.

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

SweetEmi,

Thanks! Great to know! Guess I'll lug my hair dryer along (for hubby, not me icon_wink.gif) to make sure the coif is looking good afterwards...

Only ten months to go!

Devonne

LOL! That's guessing there is somewhere to plug one in in there. I'll check if I'm ever down there in the next 10 months... icon_biggrin.gif It isn't like it's the Ritz or anything...pretty basic.

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Thanks, Emi....please do not go out of your way to check for electrical outlets for my hair dryer! I'm betting with the humidity and the saltwater, my hair will be a mess anyway. Just a quick towel -dry and I'll let nature take its course. Hubby, OTOH....

Thanks,

Devonne

I have decided against the Atlantis Submarine an am thinking I will go to Kahulu'u bay and snorkel with my kids (15, 12) instead. How do we get to the bay from the cruise ship and how can we get to Wendy's or the shopping mall that was mentioned without having a rental car?

Thanks for your help!

Patty

Pride of Aloha

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;7;18;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Keauhou shuttle, 322-3500.

101 Things to do Big Island

Frommers

There are some links and some numbers. I called Alii Shuttle to make sure they were still available and for the rates and they have a different number than listed on the link - it is (808) 938-1112. The one on the link is for a Waipio Valley Shuttle though - good to know. Anyway The Alii Shuttle's recording said they run Mon Though Sat (no Sundays) From Kona to Keauhou every 1 1/2 hours starting from 9:20 am through 6:20 pm. From Keauhou to Kona every 1 1/2 hours from 8:30 am to 7 pm. Flag down the bus anywhere on Alii Drive. The cost is $2.

There are also some other numbers on the links for taxis and stuff. From Kahulu'u to Keauhou Shopping Center isn't really that far and you could probably walk it - but it is uphill to the Wendy's. The Shuttle picks up there at the shopping center, I believe (for returning to Kona town). I think too that there is a shuttle from the hotel there next to Kahul'u (Ohana Keauhou Beach) to the shopping center, though I don't know much about it.

If you don't want to go all the way up the hill to the Wendy's (though it is a Million dollar view) - there is a very, very nice view also from the KTA grocery store parking lot area. People often get a bite to eat at the deli at KTA or a pizza or something from Rocky's Pizza and head under the trees there at the edge of the parking lot and sit and watch.

Hope that helps!!

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

SO GLAD TO SEE THIS POSTING! 20 years ago in Bermuda I did a water outing where you rode on a boat to a little bay area by St.George. I had explained to the guide that I could not swim and had a fear of water in my face. He assured me I would be fine. I wore a tank type helmet that had a clear space to see thru. We walked on the ocean floor, water depth was probably 10-20 feet (don't remember). The guide was right and I absolutely loved it! Whenever I think of that Bermuda trip that is one memory that always comes to mind.

I am "of age" (SS that is), can not swim and except for the above, can not put my head under water -fear.

We are sailing Hawaii/Tahiti in Jan.2005 and I would just love to see the coral, fish, etc. Experienced snorkelers - your thoughts please. Thank you.

Just a word of caution: As a life-long resident of Hawaii nei, I can tell you that every year like clockwork we have multiple drownings due to visitors over-reaching their abilities. The ocean in Hawaii, like anywhere else, is a very dangerous place. We have unpredictable currents, sudden high winds and dangerous surf, sometimes all in the same day! DO NOT do anything here that you would not normally do in your home state. If you can not swim, I would recommend that you learn in a pool at home before you try snorkling. Many, many visitors have died by panicking when their mask is flooded by water by a rogue wave or when they notice that they have gotten caught in a current and cannot easily reach shore. The most calm, beautiful places frequently are the locations of tragedies for our visitors because they have insufficient respect for the forces of nature. We love our visitors in Hawaii---please don't become another sad statistic!

April Ambard

CruiseOne

Crystal Serenity 9/23/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;9;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

NCL America Pride of Aloha 6/13/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

1/04 Crystal Harmony

7/03 RCCL Monarch of the Seas

6/03 Celebrity Summit

1/03 Carnival Ecstasy

12/01 NCL Star Inaugural

Aloha April! Well said. Even standing NEAR the ocean can have disasterous consequences if you are not careful. Do not turn your back to the ocean...she is very powerful. It saddens me to hear the news stories.

Emi

Alaska summer 2005!

Emi,
Thank you for your speedy and informative reply! This board is the greatest for information.
Patty

Pride of Aloha
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;7;18;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

Thanks for the heart-felt warnings, 'cuz I know you care. Trust me, I will not be venturing out alone...hubby's a certifed lifeguard. The agreement, wherein I agreed to try out the snorkeling in the first place, is contingent upon his continual presence. I'm adventurous, not suicidal!

Thanks all!
Devonne

There is a lifeguard at Kahulu'u for sure. I'm guessing one is at Hanauma as well. One still has to follow the good advice given from our Hawaiian contributors. Thank you!

Oh, Schmolke, thought of you when a poll of the top 10 U.S. beaches was just released by, I don't know who, in our newspaper a couple of weeks ago. Guess what came in at #1? Hanauma Bay. But one of the rules of this poll is that any beach that has made #1 previously can never again be #1. So, that rules out lots of good beaches. Some poll.

Sammy

Hmmmm, so if you've made #1 before, you can't be #1 again, ever? Sounds unfair...makes you really want to strive to be the best. Sounds like a liberal policy our great assembly here in California would make....

Anyway, Sammy, I'm sure we'll go see Hanauma Bay in our post-cruise ventures, just won't snorkel it! Besides, this cruise is just gonna give us a TASTE of Hawaii...we'll pick out what we like and probably do a Suntrips vacation later. Who knows?!

Devonne

schmolke,

I agree with the advice from aambard and Emi. However, if you are going to try snorkeling, Hanauma Bay might not be such a bad choice. I'm a strong swimmer and enjoy snorkeling so I found Hanauma Bay really easy. It was shallow and pretty calm. In fact, when we went it was so shallow that I had to be careful not to hit the bottom and had to avoid the coral. There are lifeguards and facilities. We had our own gear so I don't know about rentals, but I'd bet they have them. Try to go in the morning because it can be rather murky late in the day. But again, the ocean can be pretty unpredictable so it depends on how safe you feel. I'm sure you've seen how fickle the Pacific can be in Northern California.

Aloha,
[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]beachchick

Beachchick,

Yes, hubby remembers that the water in Hanauma Bay was so shallow that even I, at 5'1", could stand up. I think we're still gonna do Kona and Kahalu'u Bay, but thanks for your input.

Devonne

I CAN swim although sometimes the movement of the waves can bother me. We went on a snorkel trip in Maui that was supposed to be to the Molokini crater. It ended up that the ocean was too rough and we went to Turtle Bay instead. It was a beautiful place. My dh loved it and did great. I had a lot of trouble trying to snorkel when it was so deep and the waves were pretty rough. Myself and another guy ended up using a surf board that the life guard uses. It worked ok but I definately would not have enjoyed it if I wasn't able to swim at all. Don't go on a snorkel excursion to a "deeper" area. On Kauai there is a fantastic beach for snorkel at Lydgate park. Just a few miles from the Nawiliwili harbor. It is not deep. It is an area that is rocked in so the surf doesn't get too rough. It is great for those who can swim and those who can't. Hanauma Bay was ok, but the water wasn't nearly as clear (later in the day) than some of the other places.

Can't wait till 5/19/04 on the Wind
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;19;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

Well, folks, looks like we're gonna go with Hanauma Bay. We'll go first thing in the morning, since that seems to be the "clearer" time. We'll be using our time in Kona with the rental car, taking photos and cruising the Big Island.

Thanks to everyone for your input....only 9 months to go!

Devonne

• 3 weeks later...

Archived