Snorkeling for those who cannot swim?

schmolke

OK, I cannot swim. Love the water, but won't go in any farther than my feet can touch the bottom. However, my hubby assures me that I don't need to know how to swim in order to go snorkeling. I love my hubby, but need a second opinion!

The reason I ask is that I am encouraging hubby to do snorkeling in Kona to see the sea turtles and all, and he wants me to sign up too. I've read on the boards that some (most?) companies will provide flotation devices for those (like me) who would need them.

What do y'all think? Should I go for it?

Thanks,

Devonne

Celebrity Infinity (Hawaii) - March 2005

Star Princess (Alaska) - September 2003

Regal Princess (Alaska) - August 2002

Snorkeling IS swimming. If you really cannot swim I don't think you could snorkel. You may be able to float around on some sort of device or cushion with a mask on and see some fish but that is not snorkeling. I'm not sure how safe or enjoyable that would be for you but it would probably keep your husband happy and would be worth a trade-off at a later date.

Our last 2 cruises we booked snorkle trips through the ship. They supplied all the snorkle gear, including the flotation vest. If you can kick your feet and move your arms then I think you can snorkle. You won't be able to go down deeper than just below the surface because of the vest which will keep your body on the surface but you'll still be able to see under the water and will enjoy yourself. Go for it!!!

5/29/04 NCL Wind, HAWAII

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;29;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Devonne - it depends on the reasons why you cannot swim. If you simply can't swim, then a flotation device like a life vest may allow you to snorkel. However, if you have a phobia about being in water where you can't touch the bottom, the whole experience may freak you out. Otherwise, I would tell you to go for it!

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

I'm kind of in the phobia class. However, I had no problem snorkeling from the boat with Fairwinds...go figure! I would, however, not have been able to go from shore to where I couldn't touch...nope...no way.

Emi (I would try it - maybe on one of those boards with the windows in them) icon_biggrin.gif

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

OK, I see everyone's points. My issue is that I float like a rock, which is why I won't venture into deeper water. However, if I've got a vest on that will keep me afloat, I have no phobias about going into "deeper than I can touch the bottom" waters.

I have no desire to dive down to look at stuff. Just want the opportunity to put on a mask and look down under the water, while safely floating in my "no way I'm sinking to the bottom" vest. Hubby's an expert swimmer, and I just want to try and get out to participate. Besides, if we're snorkeling (or whatever you want to call it) in Kahulu'u Bay with the turtles, I'll be able to see them since they gotta come to the surface for air, which is where I'll be anyway! You only live once, and I can say I at least tried it!!

Thanks to y'all for your input. Looks like we've got all the ports on our Hawaii cruise covered now! Guess I'll look into who would be the best company for our little excursion.....

Devonne

I sound very similar to you and thought it would not be a problem, but you need to be able to get away from the boat and then back to the boat when it is time to leave. That is where I had a problem. I could have stayed there all day with the floatation vest, but really struggled to swim back to the boat against the current. For that reason, I will not snorkel again-looking into the Atlantis submarine when in Hawaii this summer icon_wink.gif

Patty

Pride of Aloha

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;7;18;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Schmolke--My wife had similar problem. She used a flotation belt and had no problems. You mentioned going to Kahulu'u Bay, this is a very easy place to snorkel, especially at low tide. Little current and lots of fish and turtles. You can do it on your own since it is only about 6 miles south of Kona.I don't know if tours go there or not. If you do it on your own, rent gear from someone local, we used Millers, on the way there on Alii Drive.$7/day for good gear.

Patty and Bubbachief - Thanks for the input. I'll have to take everyone's experiences and opinions and make a decision on what to do.

Hubby now recalls a bay near Waikiki that he snorkeled years ago. The water was so shallow I could easily stand up at any point, but the sealife viewing was great. Anyone know what he's talking about? I want to do Kona, since it seems there's a greater chance to see turtles (not harass them, OK Emi?!).

As it stands now, hubby likes the idea of renting our own gear (read: CHEAP!). We'll see!

Later,

Devonne

I wholeheartedly agree with Bubbachief.....I'm only 5'1" and very uncomfortable in the water. But I often snorkle and, of course, wear a flotation device. It amazes my entire family that I snorkel because I'm fairly uncomfortable in a swimming pool.

Rather than go with an excursion where you have to go in off a boat - I think those usually go to Kealakekua Bay - I'd go to Kahulu'u Bay where you can walk in and it is shallow and calm. Kealakekua Bay is choppier and, of course, deeper.

Rent the gear, it's a great beach, it's cheaper and you'll love it.

Sammy

Devonne,

A bay close to Waikiki sounds like Hanauma Bay. Water is very shallow but area is very crowded early in the day. Crowds seem to clear out by about 3 pm.

Dan

Infinity Hawaii

11/14/2004

Sammy - The more I read and research, the more it looks like we'll be renting the gear ourselves and driving to one the bays to check things out. As long as I can rent a flotation device (hey, it may be shallow but who am I to take chances?!), I'm golden. Now I'm trying to convince hubby to do the snorkel thing in Kona instead of Waikiki....my argument is more chance of more turtles in Kona, but he seems to think there'll be plenty in Waikiki. Keep in mind, his last experience there was in 1987 on his senior trip! I'm sure I can win this debate, but any ammo y'all can give me would be much appreciated!!

Dan - Yes, that sounds right. Hanauma....I think that's what hubby was trying to say. Now, if you say it's pretty crowded, that's point number one for my side of the debate! He's trying to argue that Kona would be crowded (as if he's ever been there).

Thanks all! A wealth of helpful info, as always!

Devonne

Kona would have better snorkeling than Waikiki (that's for sure). Even better than Hanauma Bay, I think.

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Schmolke-- We stayed at the Keauhou Beach Resort for 7 days which is right next to Kahulu'u Bay. Could see the Bay and people snorkling from our deck. Was never too many people, even on weekends. Are you there just for the day on a cruise or staying longer? If just for the day and snorkling is primary thing you want to do,consider using the bus to get out to the Bay. Runs right down Alii Drive and you save the car rental.

Bubbachief - Just in the one day (Sunday, April 3) from the Celebrity Infinity cruise. We were considering the snorkeling as a time-filler for the time in this port. So, though it's at the top of the list of things to do in Kona, it's not the only thing, so we're still gonna rent a car. Actually, fishing around for rental car rates, Kona's was the cheapest ($29.98 all inclusive). But, thanks for the bus tip. If we fall in love with Kona and the Big Island, we'll probably do the hotel stay next time we visit. The place you stayed sounds great.

Thanks to both you and Spleen for supplying me more ammo for my great Kona vs. Waikiki snorkeling debate with the hubby!!

Later,

Devonne

Schmolke

Links to pictures of Kahulu'u Bay snorkeling beach and turtles follow. After leaving the beach, we took Kamehameha III Rd uphill to Hwy 11 - about a 1 mile road by the Keauhou Shopping center in Keauhou. On the left, is a road leading down to the mall. There is a Wendy's on the corner that has an incredible breathtaking view of miles of the Kona coastline. I bet Wendy's has to sell a lot of hamburgers to pay for that view.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/145401164/145399869gzpTFH

http://community.webshots.com/photo/145401164/145402005CFxMZd

http://community.webshots.com/photo/145401164/145402635asDYla

Sammy

Sammy - Thanks soooooo much for those pictures! The water looks amazing (keep in mind, I've never ever seen really blue beautiful clear water, so I'm impressed by that fact alone!). And the turtle picture...cool. It sure doesn't look crowded, and the water doesn't look too deep.

Yep, the ammo is piling up! Now I've pictures to introduce into evidence....hubby doesn't stand a chance in this Kahalu'u vs. Hanauma debate!

The Wendy's sounds neat, but I have a policy whenever I travel somewhere new - I do not eat any place I can go to here in Sacramento. But, I will drop by your Wendy's for the view, and maybe a Diet Coke (it's not eating, so that doesn't count!).

Thanks!

Devonne

Macy Jean - My sentiments exactly! Glad to hear from someone else who won't let the fact that they can't swim interfere with snorkeling and fun while in the islands. This trip's too important for me to look back and have regrets about not doing something I really wanted to. Plus, I'd kick myself for not taking the chance, when I've heard from soooooooo many folks who've tried it and obviously lived to tell about it on the CC boards!

Thanks,

Devonne

This shallow area looks like snorkelling I can even handle! If I can stand, then I will be fine... I am still remembering our boat snorkelling trip in Grand Cayman and the fear that I would not be able to make it back to the boat. Is there a time of day that is better than others to snorkel there and is there an equipment rental area nearby?

Patty

Pride of Aloha

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;7;18;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

OK, obviously I've never done it before, but I've HEARD that in the morning, before the winds kick up, is the time for the clearest water. As for equipment rental, it's pretty much available almost everywhere snorkeling is available. Of course, those that know will pipe in and correct me if I'm wrong!

Oh, and FYI folks, hubby's main debate point is about the ability to change and dry off AFTER the snorkeling. If we snorkel in Kona, and go in the morning, he's afraid we'll be wet the rest of the day, driving around in the rental car. However, in Waikiki, post cruise, we'll be able to go back to the hotel, and there's less time constraints (don't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time, or using too much precious port time). So, please tell me there are places to change and/or dry off sufficiently at Kahalu'u after snorkeling!! Any help is needed, because I need a counterpoint to his argument.

Thanks,

Devonne

Hi-- We were there for a week at the end of April.Found the best time to snorkle was in the morning. We would go out around 9 or so. Tide was low, little current and wind. There are restrooms at the beach, not sure about dressing rooms, but you could use the restroom to change. Since we were staying next to the beach, that was not an issue. We rented our gear at Millers, right on Alii Drive, about half way between Kona and the Bay. A woman at the hotel recommended him and we we very happy with him. $7/day for good gear.

We went snorkeling at Haunama Bay a year ago. It was low tide. We were very disappointed in it. Didn't see many fish. It was crowded. Difficult to manuever with coral so close to the surface. A lot of the coral was dead. Didn't go outside the reef because of rip currents.

Archived