Photographs from helicopter

CabinForFour

We are booked on a 10 AM helicopter tour at Kauai, and I'd love photography tips from anyone who has done it. I've read that it's good to wear plain, dark clothes to avoid glare on the windows. I have a polarizer that I planned to use to cut down the glare, but I read an article online stating that a polarizer will cause funny streaks on photos because of the way the light goes through the helicopter's windows. The article recommended a shutter speed around 750, which makes sense. Anyone have any comments about these issues and/or other tips that will help capture lovely pictures of our excursion.

We are booked on a 10 AM helicopter tour at Kauai, and I'd love photography tips from anyone who has done it. I've read that it's good to wear plain, dark clothes to avoid glare on the windows. I have a polarizer that I planned to use to cut down the glare, but I read an article online stating that a polarizer will cause funny streaks on photos because of the way the light goes through the helicopter's windows. The article recommended a shutter speed around 750, which makes sense. Anyone have any comments about these issues and/or other tips that will help capture lovely pictures of our excursion.

I have taken pictures from helicopters twice in Kauai. First thing is, it is fantastic and I will go again next time I am there. I don't know what type of camera you are using but I have always used a SLR or a DSLR with a good lens but you really don't need a big zoom (28-80 range) or something like that would be good and most pictures will be at wider angles. The dark clothes is a good idea but the most important thing I found was a lens hood! I literally put the hood up against the glass for the pictures to eliminate glare as much as possible. Now for the not so good news, you need to try and get a window seat. Not everyone riding gets a window seat and if you don't then your pictures won't be any good. I found riding in the front seat by the window is the BEST place. BTW, you really should consider the video they sell in case you aren't happy with the pictures and honestly (I don't normally buy them) but it was worth it in this case. Have fun.

If you have time before you leave, order one of the accessory rubber lens hoods from B&H or Adorama. These are sometimes available at Ritz or Wolf's if it a larger store.

Snowbird's suggestion of a hood is right on, but the rubber one will flex against the window and won't transmit vibration like the normal plastic or metal ones. As an addendum, wear a lightweight black glove and use your hand to help block even more reflection from the inside if you shoot through the window at an angle.

Link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&ci=0&sb=bs%2Cupper%28ds%29&sq=asc&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=rubber+lens+hood&at=Brand_Kalt&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

I envy your trip!

Have fun and happy shooting.

Dave

Pierces & Snowbird1 are right on (although I thought all lens hoods were rubber). When I was on Kauai I went on a helicopter ride (spur of the moment) and all I had was a Canon PowerShot A70. While my shots were not in Pierces' class they were pretty good. Reflection from the window wasn't a serious problem. I did have trouble reviewing the shots as it was an extremely bright day. The pilot kept asking if I had got the shot and several times he flew back so I could take a second shot. I had a window seat and tried to shoot at 90 degrees from the window to minimize reflection. Didn't have a dark colored shirt on either. Given a choice, use the lens hood.

• 1 year later...

I just purchased a Rebel XSi and I am definitely in over my head for the time being. We are scheduled for a helicopter tour on Kauai next weekend and I was wondering if I should use the shutter priority setting and go with the 750 that was mentioned earlier?

I end up shooting through old plastic airplane windows quite regularly and in addition to what the others have added, my .$02.

Take the time to make sure the windows are clean if the tour operator hasn’t thought of that.

A UV or haze filter helps a lot, polarizing filters don’t work.

It’s extremely difficult to see the LCD screen so if you have a view finder use it, oh, and polarizing sunglasses generally block out an easy view of the LCD.

Some times auto focus can’t get by a scratched or dirty window so use manual focus if you can.

You will be bouncing a lot, maybe, so the fastest shutter speed you can use, the better.

Get your gear and camera all set before takeoff so you don’t have to fool with things in the air and miss photos.

As to some composition, don’t be afraid to catch some of the interior in the shot. Gives a nice sense of scale or position.

Have a lot of fun and post pics here when you return

108650926.mYHY7Fpr.jpg

Not everyone riding gets a window seat and if you don't then your pictures won't be any good.

I have to disagree with that one, but maybe you have a higher standard than I have. I have never had the window seat on our helicopter rides, people are seated by weight, with the lighter ones on the outsides, closest to the window. I've never been the lightest.:mad: But don't let that stop you. I've been very satisfied with my photos taken from an inside seat. One thing I always do, is put the focus at infinity, that way you have no problen shooting through the plexiglass. Kauai is a great island to fly over and the Na'Pali coast is spectacular from the air. The following a a few photos taken on a flight over Kauai.

1097523078032533819S600x600Q85.jpg1097523269032533819S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived