New Federal Law Is There A Way Around?

3213dev

Hi everyone, with all this talk of federal law changing could there be a way around it??? Does the law affect ships with depature ports of Vancouver and Ensenada? Couldn't RCI sail out of these ports to get around this rule change?

Just my opinion, but all this is doing is benifiting NCL. The US government just want NCL to have the Hawaii market

DEV

Yes, they can change to Vancouver and Ensanada as home ports. It would be great for Canada to have home ports of Vancover and Victoria but it will have great impact on the economy in the American ports.

As a Canadian of course I don't mind Vancover but I do understand what the US citizens in those ports cities are feeling.

Marilyn

One of our sons lives in Seattle and has commented on the significant increase in cruise traffic there. Back when he was in law school at UW he worked for the company that runs the Victoria Clipper service and the cruise ships were just starting to depart from Seattle. He said it was a pretty big deal for the city. A lot of money was spent to attract the Alaska routes and the quick stop in Victoria satisfied the Jones Act before the ships headed to Alaska. Pulling the rug out from under the cruise lines would hurt Seattle (and many other U.S. ports) far more than it would serve the almost non-existant U.S. flag cruise industry.

I can imagine a lot of high level lobbying and public commenting will be happening on behalf of these port cities. The bottom line for most protectionism is it serves a few at the expense of the many. :mad:

I don't believe these new rules will ever take effect. Just MHO of course, and I don't know anything.

If the government is willing to spend over $150 Billion to stimulate the economy by giving us all $600 to spend on whatever we want, why in the world would they virtually destroy an entire industry and damage all the associated transportation, lodging and meal service industries needed to support that industry?

My call: It'll never happen.

Theron

I don't believe these new rules will ever take effect. Just MHO of course, and I don't know anything.

If the government is willing to spend over $150 Billion to stimulate the economy by giving us all $600 to spend on whatever we want, why in the world would they virtually destroy an entire industry and damage all the associated transportation, lodging and meal service industries needed to support that industry?

My call: It'll never happen.

Theron

Keeping in mind the $600 is like the $300 "advance" we got a few years ago. It is only an advance for the rebate you would get anyways and will be taken from the total rebate you will get next time. Only an "advance".

Yes, they can change to Vancouver and Ensanada as home ports. It would be great for Canada to have home ports of Vancover and Victoria but it will have great impact on the economy in the American ports.

As a Canadian of course I don't mind Vancover but I do understand what the US citizens in those ports cities are feeling.

Marilyn

I can spell when I try - that should be Vancouver.

Keeping in mind the $600 is like the $300 "advance" we got a few years ago. It is only an advance for the rebate you would get anyways and will be taken from the total rebate you will get next time. Only an "advance".

More info on this can be found here:

Stimulus Checks Will Not Cut Into Your Rebate

Theron

Archived