different tipping ?

extcat

OK so the standard tip is 15 to 20 %.Lets use 20%. So you are in a restaurant and I am at the next table.

I order a $300 bottle of wine and and lobster $45 x4 . total $480

You order the house wine-$30 and you also get the dinner special $ 15 x4. Total $90

We have the same waiter and he does the same work for each of us and same number of trips to table.

I should tip him $96 and you should tip him $18?

All for the same work???

tipping is a personal decision. (to me)

I don't always follow the 20% or double the tax methodsFor instance, me and my GF always go to the Ruths chris steakhouse by our house We always end up ordering the exact same meal (9 out of 10 times) But if it is say holiday season, or a slow night at the restaurant, then we tipp more than usual. having her been a server and me a delivery driver in our school days we know how it can be If we get above the norm service, we adjust the tip for that as well..Its all up to what you feel comfortable with,

Most would say.. if you can afford the $300 dollar a bottle of wine, then why cant you afford the "appropriate" tip..?again eating out is a luxury, we can all stay home and cook

but it really comes down to the old "to each is own"

to me...yes

I generally try to stick to the 20% guidelin, but there have been times I tip more & sometimes I tip less.

I use the 20% as a base...if the service was exceptionally great I work UP the scale & tip More...If the servce was not that great I work DOWN the scale & take away from the 20%.

OK so the standard tip is 15 to 20 %.Lets use 20%. So you are in a restaurant and I am at the next table.

You order the house wine-$30 and you also get the dinner special $ 15 x4. Total $90

We have the same waiter and he does the same work for each of us and same number of trips to table.

All for the same work???

Maybe I read you wrong....but your question was if you tipped 20% would the two examples be correct. Not what people tip....right?

tips are why people work as servers...

The base pay of $1.75, $3.75 or the most $6 an hour is not why they continue to serve....

to not allow them to get the money they deserve is an issue you seem to have with the industrys' corporate heads...not the servers....

If they were paid what they should be, and not stuck with only the tips to make up their income then this would be not as big of deal....

but they're not..

and as long as we go out to eat at these restaurants, knowing what they are paid, then we should tip accordingly,,,

or just not go out to eat

...you could always stick w/ the $30 house wine

( hope I didn't come across as rude....as that was not my intent)

I worked as a waitress/bartender for 10 years so hopefully I can shed a little bit of light on this subject.

If you order a $300 bottle of wine, that is part of the server sales for the night. The server then has to report tips on this amount (there is a minumum amount that varies by state on what percentage of tips you have to report, based on your total sales for the night.) In addition to that, a server may have to tip out extra to other people in the restaurant (ex. bussers, expoditers, foodrunner, hostesses) based on a percentage of total sales for the night.

So if you order a $300 bottle of wine and don't tip accordingly, it could end up really costing you server in the long run. So if you have the pockets to afford that luxury, please tip appropriately. If you do not wish to tip on wine there are a great number of fantastic BYOB restaurants for you to choose from.

I worked as a waitress/bartender for 10 years so hopefully I can shed a little bit of light on this subject.

If you order a $300 bottle of wine, that is part of the server sales for the night. The server then has to report tips on this amount (there is a minumum amount that varies by state on what percentage of tips you have to report, based on your total sales for the night.) In addition to that, a server may have to tip out extra to other people in the restaurant (ex. bussers, expoditers, foodrunner, hostesses) based on a percentage of total sales for the night.

So if you order a $300 bottle of wine and don't tip accordingly, it could end up really costing you server in the long run. So if you have the pockets to afford that luxury, please tip appropriately. If you do not wish to tip on wine there are a great number of fantastic BYOB restaurants for you to choose from.

my GF was working at the macaroni grill back in college,

and they are owned by the Brinker Corp.

They own alot of those chilis and fridays chains..

They were audited one year and they passed the buck onto all the workers, saying they all under reported their tips...

The short version is they said that all the servers made $15k more in tips than they reported....

she ended up being audited herself, and was forced to pay some amount that the IRS and corporate Brinker agreed to..

This is why the way these places run are not fair to the servers...

so when we compound this by not tipping, we really are robbing these hard working folks of their income..

I still cant see how they get away with "figuring" out how much in tips they really, or in her case were "supposed" to have gotten

not fair at all!

All for the same work???

Is this one of those,

"If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer." deals?

My answer would be that I would tip according to the bill at my table and I would not have a clue what was going on at yours.

Dan

All for the same work???

Short answer: Yes

my GF was working at the macaroni grill back in college,

and they are owned by the Brinker Corp.

They own alot of those chilis and fridays chains..

They were audited one year and they passed the buck onto all the workers, saying they all under reported their tips...

The short version is they said that all the servers made $15k more in tips than they reported....

she ended up being audited herself, and was forced to pay some amount that the IRS and corporate Brinker agreed to..

This is why the way these places run are not fair to the servers...

so when we compound this by not tipping, we really are robbing these hard working folks of their income..

I still cant see how they get away with "figuring" out how much in tips they really, or in her case were "supposed" to have gotten

not fair at all!

Most restaurants automatically accout for all of you credit card tips. But it is generally based on a percentage of your sales. If you are not reporting any cash tips that will raise a red flag. But the most important this is to remember that a sever has to report wages based in a large part on their sales...including alcohol. And like I said, there is a certain amount that servers will tip out to other areas of the restaurant for the night.

Back in my waitress days we had to report 8% as income - whether we made that much or not plus tip 3% to the busboy, bartender, and hostess based on sales. So if you stiffed me on a $100 tab, I then had to tip $3 out of my pocket to the other staff, then tell Uncle Sam I made $8 in income I never made - taxes on that $8 were then withheld from my paycheck for my $2.12/hour wage. These are small amounts just for an example, but it can really add up if you work in a place where the tabs are high or a place where the clientele tends to not tip very well.

I did a stint in a 4 star restaurant and the problem above was a big one. It was like people got mental block and couldn't fathom giving the waiter that much of a tip when they figured up 15 or 20% of a $500 tab. In the fine-dining world we would often only get one table a night on a weeknight - if you decided to say only toss me $20 on that $500 bill (which doesn't happen all the time, but frequently enough) then I pretty much give it all up to the bar and busboy and worked for free all night. Then to add insult to the night - you leave knowing you are now paying taxes on $40 you never even made.

Glad I'm no longer in that line of work, but it got me through college and I tend to be a big tipper because of it. You have to be rude or just plain incompetent to not get a decent tip from me.

All for the same work???

Yes... because that's how civilized folk behave when they are out in public... if you can't afford the tip or are resentful to the politics of tipping, then stay home... but don't take your political views on tipping out on the working class... it will ALWAYS come back to bite you in the a$$:)

DH and I are industry folk (Chef and Server)... We wouldn't have stayed in this industry if the pay wasn't worth it... My attention is different for a table spending big money than it is for a table spending less... this is not to say that the table spending less gets crappy service... but there's more work involved in serving lobster, more attention given than say, serving the stuffed chicken breast... sorry, but I'm just aware that I stand to make more money on the table spending $500 than I am on the table spending $100...

My attitude is the same for both tables but I'm just a bit more attentive to ones spending more money... BECAUSE... if something goes wrong on the table spending $500 not only is my tip in jeopardy but if the restaurant has to comp the meal to satisfy the customer - that's a hit to the restaurant also.... so there is more riding on the big spender having a good experience...

That's just my 20%...

I strongly disagree with some posters. I am a retired restaurant owner. Too much myth of how the servers are screwed.....without the consideration that some make good tips and report only a small portion. It takes the same amount of time and effort to open an 87 Opus as it does to open a NV Cab. I do not think it is required to tip 20% on a 200-300 $ bottle of wine. JMHO.

I tip for service. If service was really really bad, I might tip a small amount. If it's mediocre, 10%. Good 20%. Outstanding, well it goes higher and depends on just how good it was.

If I buy a $300 bottle of wine (um, prolly wouldn't do that...) and the service was fine, then 20%. Crappy, then less.

it's got nothing to do with the bill and everything to do with the service.

if I order ANY kind of wine by the bottle I certainly expect the server to open and present it properly. (yes I'm a snob).

I watched a server simply splash a $75 bottle of wine into a gentlemans glass one night on vacation and it spilled onto his plate. I almost said something when he opened MY wine and poured it poorly but my wife hushed me. he would have rather heard it from me than the other guy! The rest of his service stunk. I left almost no tip. No manager was around either.

If I ever go back to Williamsburg, VA I certainly won't go back there again. The food wasn't even that great for a so called 4 start joint :rolleyes:

All for the same work???

I have worked in fine dining restaurants in the past. I usually have found that if a couple come into the resturant and have a $480 bill, they have no problem tossing out a c-note for a tip.

Yes... because that's how civilized folk behave when they are out in public... if you can't afford the tip or are resentful to the politics of tipping, then stay home... but don't take your political views on tipping out on the working class... it will ALWAYS come back to bite you in the a$$:)

DH and I are industry folk (Chef and Server)... We wouldn't have stayed in this industry if the pay wasn't worth it... My attention is different for a table spending big money than it is for a table spending less... this is not to say that the table spending less gets crappy service... but there's more work involved in serving lobster, more attention given than say, serving the stuffed chicken breast... sorry, but I'm just aware that I stand to make more money on the table spending $500 than I am on the table spending $100...

My attitude is the same for both tables but I'm just a bit more attentive to ones spending more money... BECAUSE... if something goes wrong on the table spending $500 not only is my tip in jeopardy but if the restaurant has to comp the meal to satisfy the customer - that's a hit to the restaurant also.... so there is more riding on the big spender having a good experience...

That's just my 20%...

I agree 100%. I would never think of cheating a server out of 15/20% (or more) tip, just because I ran up a $480 tab!

Interesting post, So I ask the “proper” tippers do they tip as well on a cruise ship? You can figure the average dinner on a cruise ship is worth $50-$75 pp for the equivalent on land. Does not seem the Auto tip would meet the 15-20% requirement. Then there is the food/service for breakfast & Lunch, if you do such in the dining room or the buffet or where ever, the Auto tip surly does not cover that in a reasonable manner. Also there is the anytime dining, and variations of such, now how do you go about tipping extra to those folks? So tell me “proper” tippers, how much extra per day do you tip while on a cruise?

Me, I tip for service 15% or less if the service sucks or more if the service is better. I do not tip on the full amount of the cost of the alcohol and have been told many times that is proper. That is why it is on a different area of the tab. I have a real problem with the idea that the cost of the goods should always reflect the amount of the tip.

Goingagain.....not trying to be Scrooge..... I have been there.... servers whine when they get a $2 tip on a $15 tab but they never mention the customer who left $50 on a $50 tab. A large portion of the tips NEVER get reported.

no....

I was saying that its good to hear the other side of it (coming from the ownership side).

There is always valid points from each side... that was my point... that it was odd that all of us were so far felt the same way

Interesting post, So I ask the “proper” tippers do they tip as well on a cruise ship? You can figure the average dinner on a cruise ship is worth $50-$75 pp for the equivalent on land. Does not seem the Auto tip would meet the 15-20% requirement. Then there is the food/service for breakfast & Lunch, if you do such in the dining room or the buffet or where ever, the Auto tip surly does not cover that in a reasonable manner. Also there is the anytime dining, and variations of such, now how do you go about tipping extra to those folks? So tell me “proper” tippers, how much extra per day do you tip while on a cruise?

Me, I tip for service 15% or less if the service sucks or more if the service is better. I do not tip on the full amount of the cost of the alcohol and have been told many times that is proper. That is why it is on a different area of the tab. I have a real problem with the idea that the cost of the goods should always reflect the amount of the tip.

We actually do tip quite a bit more than the recommended tips on cruises. The impression that I have gotten is that cruise workers work much harder, and make much less $$ for what they do for a living, and the time they spend away from "home". I guess I just don't want them to feel unappreciated. I always hear other passengers complaining about the tips, and I suspect that there are a lot who don't tip even the recommended amount. I think I feel like we can help make it all even out, if we tip more. I'm not the type of person who gets all mad about people who undertip...what a person wants to tip is their choice. Just like the amount I tip is my choice. And yes, I am a "proper" tipper, and I'm proud of that because for me, that is the right thing to do. It's only money...we're not stingy. When we can't afford to go "out for entertainment", even if that is just not being able to tip "properly", we just don't go.

Archived