different tipping ?

extcat

Your kidding right?

That dinner is not worth $12.99 per person.

Are you talking about the food, or the experience?

I agree somewhat, its not five star food, but the service is also part of it..

Its not fair to the servers to say that the meal isn't worth 12.99. Also

You don't want to scare off some newbies to carnival by saying that.

Are you talking about the food, or the experience?

I agree somewhat, its not five star food, but the service is also part of it..

Its not fair to the servers to say that the meal isn't worth 12.99. Also

You don't want to scare off some newbies to carnival by saying that.

Both...5 star is a joke, its more like a Dennys. The Experience? When since does 5 star include singing waiters,dancing on table waiters,whooping and yelling for color wars and loudspeaker announcements? Meals that you cannot order to your taste or even order your prefered sides.

CCL is like Walmart, a decent product at a decent price and calling a night Formal does not make it so.

Lets not give newbies the illusion of anything grand here because it is not. Its Walmart of the seas.

Now Crystal or Seabourne,thats another story.

Welcome to Walmart:)

Both...5 star is a joke, its more like a Dennys. The Experience? When since does 5 star include singing waiters,dancing on table waiters,whooping and yelling for color wars and loudspeaker announcements? Meals that you cannot order to your taste or even order your prefered sides.

CCL is like Walmart, a decent product at a decent price and calling a night Formal does not make it so.

Lets not give newbies the illusion of anything grand here because it is not. Its Walmart of the seas.

Now Crystal or Seabourne,thats another story.

And you cruise with Carnival so often....................WHY?

Decent product at a decent price,just like Walmart. I know its Walmart and I accept that and I know I am not going to get Macy's and I don't expect Macy's.

Is this the same Walmart company you find so beneath you?

Carnival Cruise Lines Honored With Record Number of Awardsspacer.gif01/16/2008 spacer.gifMIAMI (January 16, 2008) — Carnival Cruise Lines, the world’s largest cruise operator, raked in a record number of awards during the past year, capping off the final weeks of 2007 with several additional accolades from a variety of esteemed organizations.

Readers of Ocean & Cruise News - the publication of the World Cruise & Ocean Liner Society, an organization comprised of highly experienced cruise enthusiasts -- named Carnival “Best Cruise Value” in the superior four star category for the 14th consecutive year. The line also took home top honors in the “Short Cruise” category.

During the ninth annual Reader’s Choice Awards conducted by Travel Weekly magazine, Carnival was named “Best Domestic Cruise Line,” while the 88,500-ton Carnival Spirit was named “Best Overall Individual Ship.” Also, for the third consecutive year, Carnival’s business development managers were recognized for providing the cruise industry’s “Best Sales and Service.”

Carnival also received the prestigious “Best Cruise Line” honor from highly popular Southern Living Magazine, within that publication’s 2008 Readers Choice Awards.

Carnival’s incentive programs were recognized by the Society of Incentive and Travel Executives (SITE), receiving one of the organization’s “Most Outstanding Travel Reward Program” awards.

Among a wide variety of other accolades received throughout the year, Carnival was honored with nine Readers Choice Awards from Porthole magazine, including “Best Children’s Program,” “Best Entertainment” and “Most Value-for-the-Money.”

Meanwhile, Carnival Senior Cruise Director John Heald was named “Sea Going Employee of the Year” by Seatrade Insider.

Carnival was also honored by readers of TravelAge West magazine during the magazine’s annual WAVE (Western Agents Votes of Excellence) Awards, which named Kirk Neal, Carnival Cruise Lines’ business development director for the Sacramento region, “Favorite Individual Cruise Line Sales Representative,” while Harry’s Supper Club aboard the 110,000-ton Carnival Liberty was named “Best Alternative Dining Facility.”

Cruise One/Cruises Inc. named Carnival “Most Improved Cruise Line” for its efforts to continue to offer its guests an exciting, value-packed vacation experience and particularly for recent initiatives such as the new $250 million “Evolutions of Fun” ship refurbishment program for its Fantasy-class vessels, currently completed on the Carnival Inspiration and Carnival Imagination.

Also, Carnival Cruise Lines’ parent company, Carnival Corporation & plc, was honored at the recent World Travel Awards with the “Leading Cruise Brand” designation for 2007, as voted by travel agents in more than 190 countries around the world.

“Carnival strives to exceed guests’ expectations in all areas of the cruising experience - from our relationship with the travel agent community to our onboard services and programs - and receiving these various recognitions is truly gratifying,” said Vicki Freed, Carnival senior vice president of sales and guest services.

Maybe they can fool all of the people, all of the time? Or somebody doesn't understand something?

Dan

Goingagain.....not trying to be Scrooge..... I have been there.... servers whine when they get a $2 tip on a $15 tab but they never mention the customer who left $50 on a $50 tab. A large portion of the tips NEVER get reported.

I worked as a delivery driver and a limo driver, and yes I have gotten tips like this, but they are few and far between. If you think that the one guy who tips you 100% or better once or twice a year make up for the many, many who tip the minimum or less your just wrong. IMHO you should always tip. If the services sucks than by all means take that into consideration, but also look at everything else thats going on with your server.(busy night, out of supplies, equipment problems, etc.) If you drop $480. on dinner, then you definitely drop 15-20% on a tip.

Is this the same Walmart company you find so beneath you?

Carnival Cruise Lines Honored With Record Number of Awardsspacer.gif01/16/2008 spacer.gifMIAMI (January 16, 2008) — Carnival Cruise Lines, the world’s largest cruise operator, raked in a record number of awards during the past year, capping off the final weeks of 2007 with several additional accolades from a variety of esteemed organizations.

Readers of Ocean & Cruise News - the publication of the World Cruise & Ocean Liner Society, an organization comprised of highly experienced cruise enthusiasts -- named Carnival “Best Cruise Value” in the superior four star category for the 14th consecutive year. The line also took home top honors in the “Short Cruise” category.

During the ninth annual Reader’s Choice Awards conducted by Travel Weekly magazine, Carnival was named “Best Domestic Cruise Line,” while the 88,500-ton Carnival Spirit was named “Best Overall Individual Ship.” Also, for the third consecutive year, Carnival’s business development managers were recognized for providing the cruise industry’s “Best Sales and Service.”

Carnival also received the prestigious “Best Cruise Line” honor from highly popular Southern Living Magazine, within that publication’s 2008 Readers Choice Awards.

Carnival’s incentive programs were recognized by the Society of Incentive and Travel Executives (SITE), receiving one of the organization’s “Most Outstanding Travel Reward Program” awards.

Among a wide variety of other accolades received throughout the year, Carnival was honored with nine Readers Choice Awards from Porthole magazine, including “Best Children’s Program,” “Best Entertainment” and “Most Value-for-the-Money.”

Meanwhile, Carnival Senior Cruise Director John Heald was named “Sea Going Employee of the Year” by Seatrade Insider.

Carnival was also honored by readers of TravelAge West magazine during the magazine’s annual WAVE (Western Agents Votes of Excellence) Awards, which named Kirk Neal, Carnival Cruise Lines’ business development director for the Sacramento region, “Favorite Individual Cruise Line Sales Representative,” while Harry’s Supper Club aboard the 110,000-ton Carnival Liberty was named “Best Alternative Dining Facility.”

Cruise One/Cruises Inc. named Carnival “Most Improved Cruise Line” for its efforts to continue to offer its guests an exciting, value-packed vacation experience and particularly for recent initiatives such as the new $250 million “Evolutions of Fun” ship refurbishment program for its Fantasy-class vessels, currently completed on the Carnival Inspiration and Carnival Imagination.

Also, Carnival Cruise Lines’ parent company, Carnival Corporation & plc, was honored at the recent World Travel Awards with the “Leading Cruise Brand” designation for 2007, as voted by travel agents in more than 190 countries around the world.

“Carnival strives to exceed guests’ expectations in all areas of the cruising experience - from our relationship with the travel agent community to our onboard services and programs - and receiving these various recognitions is truly gratifying,” said Vicki Freed, Carnival senior vice president of sales and guest services.

Maybe they can fool all of the people, all of the time? Or somebody doesn't understand something?

Dan

What? I love Walmart.

Wal-Mart Stores is an irresistible (or at least unavoidable) retail force that has yet to meet any immovable objects. Bigger than Europe's Carrefour, Tesco, and Metro AG combined, it is the world's #1 retailer, with about 6,775 stores, including some 1,075 discount stores, 2,250 combination discount and grocery stores (Wal-Mart Supercenters in the US and ASDA in the UK), and 580 warehouse stores (SAM'S CLUB). About 60% of its stores are in the US, but Wal-Mart is expanding internationally; it is the #1 retailer in Canada and Mexico. It also owns a 95% stake in Japanese retailer SEIYU. Wal-Mart also has operations in Asia, Europe, and South America. Founder Sam Walton's heirs own about 40% of Wal-Mart.

Dont want to go all crazy on the walmart thing,

But please don't compare a company like walmart to carnival! Walmart, a company that deals with manufacturers that pay workers in the philipines, china, bangledesh, and many other places 13 cents an hour to work 14 hour days so that I can buy my socks for only 5% cheaper, yet they make 95% more profit....

They killed this countrys' economy by taking 10's of 1000's of jobs overseas, and not recipricating the savings on to us...Believe me I just worked on a film about Disney (hurt so much as I grew up with Disney and go to disney world every year) and Walmart. They killed all the mom and pop stores , and even larger chains, because those places by contributing to the economy couldn't keep up....walmart takes all the money out of the neighborhood, and moves on....and doesnt even give benefits to its u.s. employees to boot! I admitt that we all who go there to save money are also guilty.... but they get rich off the hardworking, good spending people that work and frequent there..and offer nothing but a quick 5% savings.......

Carnival and Walmart shouldn't be mentioned together....even if to just explain cost/value

Carnival shows that you can make a huge profit w/ out robbing everyone involved like walmart

But please don't compare a company like walmart to carnival! Walmart, a company that deals with manufacturers that pay workers in the philipines, china, bangledesh, and many other places 13 cents an hour to work 14 hour days so that I can buy my socks for only 5% cheaper, yet they make 95% more profit....

They killed this countrys' economy by taking 10's of 1000's of jobs overseas, and not recipricating the savings on to us...Believe me I just worked on a film about Disney (hurt so much as I grew up with Disney and go to disney world every year) and Walmart. They killed all the mom and pop stores , and even larger chains, because those places by contributing to the economy couldn't keep up....walmart takes all the money out of the neighborhood, and moves on....and doesnt even give benefits to its u.s. employees to boot! I admitt that we all who go there to save money are also guilty.... but they get rich off the hardworking, good spending people that work and frequent there..and offer nothing but a quick 5% savings.......

Carnival and Walmart shouldn't be mentioned together....even if to just explain cost/value

Carnival shows that you can make a huge profit w/ out robbing everyone involved like walmart

What????????:confused:

CCL registers their ships in foreign countries so they don't have to pay US taxes,fee,s,ect.

CCL hires those from the same nations you listed above and works them long and hard,no overtime.

CCL pays most only $50 per month

Walmart IS paying US taxes,fee's,ect.

This is a free market society so if they choose to purchase overseas, so what. What do you mean it does not give benefits? My Aunt has worked there for several years and has Medical,dental,disability and her cost/share is quite low. Where did you get your info? They pay more than minimum,almost double for full time.

What do you think Carnival does?????

You my friend are not smarter than a 5th grader!

Well, away from walmart for a minute...

I know this won't be a popular post, but I feel that it is NOT my responsibility to pay someone's salary. I will tip fairly, but that means if I sat for 10 minutes when I first come in without any service at all the tip goes down to like 5 percent. If the service after that is below par I may not tip. (of course there are exceptions for different circumstances)

On the reverse, if I get a friendly smile, my drink order is taken and I have been alerted to any specials there are, the tip stays right around 15%. Then the service after that can determine if the tip stays at that amount.

I am not a person to go out and have a $500 bill. I just don't care enough and I have "cheap" tastes, but if I did the same would apply.

My fiance has an idea to go in with a dollar amount (based on what we think the bill will be) for the tip and put the cash on the table (discretely in view) and every time the server does something negative take a dollar or so away from the cash. So the server has a visusal of our displeasure and can try to make up for it. Of course if you take a couple of bucks away and the service becomes great, the money gets put back in.

It's an idea

and who exactly does carnival pay 13 cents an hour.......?

And as far as where they are registered, that is there right to register wherever they want to.... Just like my production company is registered in delaware...(cheaper)

That is fair game.....I didn't make the tax laws...(i just know them);)

What is not fair is abusing cheap labor, THEN (key part) not passing such savings onto the consumer...

Some will say thats fair to do as well..but to me thats wrong..

You will never get me to agree w/ that aspect...

Carnival isn't relocating factories that were once inside the US and moving them to foriegn lands...Again

Its their right to do so...

But I just don't agree with it, and feel bad for anyone that does..

And then those who do want to b*tch and moan about unemployment rates and welfare drains...they go hand in hand folks... and maybe thats ok with you... but that blood isn't on my hands!

I've talked to business owners around the country about this making the film..what would jesus buy...

Some of them were family run for over 100 years...they were out of busines within 10 years of walmart popping up....running profit losses usually the last 5 yrs just trying to stay in business....

everyone can have an opinion about it.... mine is that they are apples and oranges when compared...feel more than free to disagree...but to say that I'm not as smart as a 5'th grader ( i know the tv joke was meant) is a farse...

Tell that to the numerous degrees and three (successful) company's that I've ownd since 20 yrs old..

My fiance has an idea to go in with a dollar amount (based on what we think the bill will be) for the tip and put the cash on the table (discretely in view) and every time the server does something negative take a dollar or so away from the cash. So the server has a visusal of our displeasure and can try to make up for it. Of course if you take a couple of bucks away and the service becomes great, the money gets put back in.

It's an idea

It's a stupid idea. Money means nothing while on the table until you pay your bill:rolleyes:

Your not going to like this either. But your fiance sounds really immature :rolleyes:

What? I love Walmart.

Wal-Mart Stores is an irresistible (or at least unavoidable) retail force that has yet to meet any immovable objects. Bigger than Europe's Carrefour, Tesco, and Metro AG combined, it is the world's #1 retailer, with about 6,775 stores, including some 1,075 discount stores, 2,250 combination discount and grocery stores (Wal-Mart Supercenters in the US and ASDA in the UK), and 580 warehouse stores (SAM'S CLUB). About 60% of its stores are in the US, but Wal-Mart is expanding internationally; it is the #1 retailer in Canada and Mexico. It also owns a 95% stake in Japanese retailer SEIYU. Wal-Mart also has operations in Asia, Europe, and South America. Founder Sam Walton's heirs own about 40% of Wal-Mart.

So when you say that Carnival is the Wal-mart of cruising, its a left-handed compliment? How did I miss that?

Dan

and who exactly does carnival pay 13 cents an hour.......?

And as far as where they are registered, that is there right to register wherever they want to.... Just like my production company is registered in delaware...(cheaper)

That is fair game.....I didn't make the tax laws...(i just know them);)

What is not fair is abusing cheap labor, THEN (key part) not passing such savings onto the consumer...

Some will say thats fair to do as well..but to me thats wrong..

You will never get me to agree w/ that aspect...

Carnival isn't relocating factories that were once inside the US and moving them to foriegn lands...Again

Its their right to do so...

But I just don't agree with it, and feel bad for anyone that does..

And then those who do want to b*tch and moan about unemployment rates and welfare drains...they go hand in hand folks... and maybe thats ok with you... but that blood isn't on my hands!

I've talked to business owners around the country about this making the film..what would jesus buy...

Some of them were family run for over 100 years...they were out of busines within 10 years of walmart popping up....running profit losses usually the last 5 yrs just trying to stay in business....

everyone can have an opinion about it.... mine is that they are apples and oranges when compared...feel more than free to disagree...but to say that I'm not as smart as a 5'th grader ( i know the tv joke was meant) is a farse...

Tell that to the numerous degrees and three (successful) company's that I've ownd since 20 yrs old..

The servers and stewards make about $50/month salary, their tips are their income... they also work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week...99.99% non-American workers... I just don't see how you can look at what Wal Mart does and not think it is very similar to what cruiselines do.

What????????:confused:

CCL registers their ships in foreign countries so they don't have to pay US taxes,fee,s,ect.

CCL hires those from the same nations you listed above and works them long and hard,no overtime.

CCL pays most only $50 per month

Walmart IS paying US taxes,fee's,ect.

This is a free market society so if they choose to purchase overseas, so what. What do you mean it does not give benefits? My Aunt has worked there for several years and has Medical,dental,disability and her cost/share is quite low. Where did you get your info? They pay more than minimum,almost double for full time.

First off.. the companies that walmart solicits orders from for merchandize DON'T offer benefits.....Maybe your aunt, but she is not the backbone of walmarts success... thats my point...they get rich of the profit margin set by cruel, unregulated, no beneift offering manufacturers.

Do some research on this....

oh, and i gues the 13 old year sri lanka girl that told us she felt like she was dying was just exxagerating ....?

The servers and stewards make about $50/month salary, their tips are their income... they also work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week...99.99% non-American workers... I just don't see how you can look at what Wal Mart does and not think it is very similar to what cruiselines do.

because they (servers)make tips.... these sweat shop workers NEVER get tips! They can't afford to brush their teeth...they us their finger, wiped in the ash of the fire they used for heat the night before..

I've talked to these people... its absolutely heart breaking....

also..carnival isn't putting businesses in the USA (who then spend their profits back into their local economy) out of business

walmart is

My husband is a banker (tight!...a good provider). He always says when he gets a GREAT waiter/waitress, sh**, now I have to tip good, or if the service is good "the % is going backwards"! Our daughter is now a waitress and he may be rethinking this!

It's an idea

That's just tacky.... I wouldn't waste my time and energy on your table... I'd hand you off to a less experienced server... then you will get the service you truly deserve:)

I know this won't be a popular post, but I feel that it is NOT my responsibility to pay someone's salary. I will tip fairly, but that means if I sat for 10 minutes when I first come in without any service at all the tip goes down to like 5 percent. If the service after that is below par I may not tip. (of course there are exceptions for different circumstances)

On the reverse, if I get a friendly smile, my drink order is taken and I have been alerted to any specials there are, the tip stays right around 15%. Then the service after that can determine if the tip stays at that amount.

I am not a person to go out and have a $500 bill. I just don't care enough and I have "cheap" tastes, but if I did the same would apply.

It's an idea

No offense, but all this shows to a waiter is that you enjoy the power trip of dangling the money in front of them. If the waiter were to figure out what you were doing, they'd probably give up trying to please you at all(as well as call you a few names behind your back) because someone that would do that seems like they'd be impossible to please and nitpicky.

Also, as much as I hate to say this, it is always in your best interest to not p*ss off the people who handle your food. :eek: You don't know what could end up in it. :D And yes it does happen.:( Not saying it's right for them to do anything to your food either, but chances are you would never notice what might be slipped into your food or drink.

It's an idea

Its an idea alright. A rude wretched idea, but an idea.

You might rethink your future.:o

Dan

It's an idea

I would make sure your fiance has good healthcare coverage - you have NO idea what servers can do to your food before it reaches your table. My sympathies are with the poor server who has to wait on you.

When I reduce a tip from the norm, I ask for a comment card and leave it with the tip. I figure this let's the person know why I gave what I did, and if they find it useful great, if they don't that's fine too, I at least explained myself, which I figure if I'm taking from the expected money is the right thing to do.

Archived