Best Places For Jewelry

LIZ-BEAR

WE ARE SAILING 1/09 RT PANAMA CANAL. PORTS OF CALL ARE ARUBA, CARTAGENA, PANAMA CANAL (DUH!), LIMON, COSTA RICA AND OCHO RIOS JAMAICA. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE TELL ME THE BEST PLACE TO BUY JEWELRY (HOPE DH DOESN'T READ THIS!):rolleyes:

I HAVE TO HAVE MY FIX OF "BLING"

Hi Liz-Bear! My DD & I usually try to pick up some "bling" if we're in a country where they are famous for some particular gem or metal...like amber in Poland, alexandrite in Russia, silver in Mexico..etc.

We were on a Panama Canal cruise over the holidays (Island P.-San Juan to Acapulco) and looked forward to seeing & buying emeralds in Columbia (Cartegena). On board, they really touted one particular shop (can't remember the name...something like Amelia's)...but there is a specialty mall that has several emerald jewelry shops (Amelia's is on the end of this mall, right where the tour buses drop you off, of course). The mall is like going to the diamond district in NY...several shops, doors are locked, w/guards to let you in. Take my word for it..run like crazy away from the "recommended" shop...too expensive, the jewelry really didn't have any pazzaz, sales people were pushy & I wasn't really impressed w/the quality. We walked along the outside of the "mall"..in & out of several shops...not as crowded, better designs, better quality emeralds and better (lower) prices (which are all negotiable). We particularly liked a shop "Caribe Jewelers". All shops in this mall give a certificate of authenticity and guarantee the quality of their gems. We're returning in Feb. of 2009 and plan spending the majority of our time just shopping for more emeralds! Have a great time shopping on your cruise!:)

I've got mixed feelings about jewelry in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Watches are highly discounted, the gem stone jewelry is competitive but is mainly machine made stuff done elsewhere. None of the stones are native of course. One often can do as well becoming a selective stateside shopper of reputable jewelers in your own community.

That said....

Cartagena... is unique. Colombia is a premier source of emeralds in the world and Colombian craftsmen do a wonderful job hand working fillagree. Go to the 'mall' in Boca Grande and shop some of the high end jewelers there. If quality jewelry is your thing then this is a unique opportunity to get superb local stones with culture infused local goldsmithing. As an heirloom souvenir the stuff in St. Thomas and St. Maarten can't touch the emerald jewelry available in Colombia.

Aruba is a great place.......Touch of Gold......one street off the main street.....near the corner.....can't remember the addy right off the top of my head.......they have repaired, made & found things for us in hours while on cruises........can't wait to go back......I need a garnet fix....... ;)

Sharon

The best place to buy jewelry, especially the expensive kind, is AT HOME!!!! Never, never buy anything expensive in a tourist trap. Your jeweler at home can get you anything you see in the Caribbean, and you can trust him. Can you tell the difference between a white sapphire and a diamond? How about between 14K gold and gold plated? Shop at home where you can return something if it turns out to be disappointing. (This goes for "art", too!)

For many years, we have been buying jewellery from Santu at Omni Jewellers in St. Thomas (now at Crown Bay Dock). We always get appraisals for insurance purposes, and we are really really pleased at the results.

Lyntony

The best place to buy jewelry, especially the expensive kind, is AT HOME!!!! Never, never buy anything expensive in a tourist trap. Your jeweler at home can get you anything you see in the Caribbean, and you can trust him. Can you tell the difference between a white sapphire and a diamond? How about between 14K gold and gold plated? Shop at home where you can return something if it turns out to be disappointing. (This goes for "art", too!)

I feel the same way - we have a jeweler that has been a family friend for years. I have bought all of my wife's jewelry from him and I know for a fact that I couldn't have received the same deal in the islands as I did back home.

Archived