Driving Pacific Coast Highway

Muumuu

Where in LA? It is a big city. I will assume you actually mean Santa Monica. Add time accordingly if you mean downtown LA or elsewhere.

Depends on the time of day, the day of the week, and the season, but if you are planning to take PCH to do this, plan on 2 hours. If you are taking the freeway, plan on about 1.5 hours if you are doing it from 10A-2PM, longer if outside those hours (regardless of the day of the week).

We drive up to that area from time to time (Ventura, which is slightly farther than Oxnard) and I agree it depends on time of day, day of the week, etc.

There could be tons of traffic on the 101 past Thousand Oaks going up even on the weekend if there's a special event in Oxnard, Ventura, Santa Barbara, or Ojai. Of course, we would be going a different way: the 118 to the 123 to the 101. If you're staying around Santa Monica, you could go up the 1, but there could be tons of traffic as it's not a big freeway. Another option, would be to use the PCH for a while, then take one of the canyon roads up to Agoura or near Steve's city and catch the 101 there.

We are taking a cruise next month in March and we will be flying into LAX.

We wanted to go from LAX to Oxnard and wanted to go up the coast for

the scenery. Is it worth the drive in your opinion?

MuuMuu-I am so envious that you get to do the whole coast line from

Oregon. I have always heard that it is gorgeous.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Forget about the rain, that is why people go to the coast from Seattle all the way to San Francisco. If you don't want rain you will have to try your luck south of San Francisco. LOL Afterall it is a rain forest, and I would know as my sister lives in Astoria, Oregon and have spent lots of time in the coast range, plus I was raised in Redding, California. LOL

Anyways, figure out the time you need to get from Seattle to LA, but I do agree that the best way to go would be from SF to LA. Do another trip from SF to Seattle when you take an Alaskan cruise. :-) (this is just my opinion). :D

I have done this route many times.

Seattle to Eugene--1-5, 5 hours

Eugene Or-- cross over grants pass to coast to SF--10 hours

entire coast of Or maybe 14 hours. astoria to olympia --at least 4-5 hours.

Eureka to SF on 101, 5 hours

SF to Santa Barbara--totally Hiway 1 12 hours

snow could be found over the siskyous--I-5. but not likely.

Archived