Snorkeling in Bermuda

busybusybusy

I was in Bermuda the last week in August. I booked a snorkeling tour with Jessie James tours (they have a website). They meet behind the Bank of Bermuda in Hamilton. It is a Zodiac that holds 18 people. It costs $55/pp.

First we went out of the harbor to a rock formation near The Colony. Half swam one way around the rocks, the other half the other way. It was shallow and gave you a chance to acquaint yourself with the equipment and get used to the water. Then back on the boat, a short ride to 2 shipwrecks. This was a little harder because of the wave swells, but the guide stayed right in the water with you and was near enough to give assistance. He dove down to the shipwreck and brought up a bottle for everyone to see and hold. He returned it to the shipwreck. Then back on the boat (they sold water, soda and beer, but no snacks so bring your own). Whole trip was about 3 hours. The next stop was a sea garden that was beautiful. I would recommend this snorkeling trip and will do it again in April.

I was on the Empress of the Seas earlier this month and was pleasantly surprised with the snorkling in Bermuda. The travel agent we used had said it was poor however I've snorkled all over the Caribbean and this island was one of the best. We booked one tour from the ship that went out to 2 wrecks. It was operated by Fantasea Bermuda http://www.fantasea.bm or 1-888-DO-A-DIVE. One wreck had a good deal of structure left while the other had lots of cargo all over the ocean floor. Lots of fish. You had to be aware of large jelly fish but did find them fascinating to look at from a safe distance. I did a couple of snorkles on my own from the beach. Tobacco Bay in St. George was the best. Also enjoyed the Snorkle Park down at the Dockyards and the cove at Horseshoe Beach. The guidebook I had recommended Church Bay but it was too rough for swimming the day I tried thanks to Frances. Have a great time.

Archived