Returning home flight @ 11:55AM...too early?

yusi1906

Hey guys,

So I'm checking flights for the Freedom, do you think I'll be taking too many chances by booking my return flight for 11:55am? Should I be fraking out? :confused:

They always say that Customs may hold things up but how often does it happen?

Thanks

My DH and I just got off Carnival Freedom at Miami on February 9. We decided to do "self assist" debarkation since we pack light and can carry all our things. We left the boat at about 7:45 AM, went through customs and were at the airport around 8:30 AM. I think as long as you do the self assist you can get to the airport extremely quickly! With the Carnival people taking care of your luggage I have no idea, I have never done it that way.

Hey guys,

So I'm checking flights for the Freedom, do you think I'll be taking too many chances by booking my return flight for 11:55am? Should I be fraking out? :confused:

They always say that Customs may hold things up but how often does it happen?

Thanks

You will have no problem and they let people with early flights off the ship first. At least, that's what they did last year when we had a 12:15 pm.

You will have no problem and they let people with early flights off the ship first. At least, that's what they did last year when we had a 12:15 pm.

Yeah, I remember the same thing. I assume your flying out of an airport near the cruise ship terminal. However, I missed an 3:00 p.m. flight from Miami. It took forever to get out, and Carnival didn't think I needed to be one of the first off, luckily, I had booked through Carnival that time, so all I had to do was wait for the 5:00 p.m. flight. No big deal, no extra charge. If you can't move your flight back, just make sure Carnival knows you need to make a noon flight or self assist.;)

I usually dont book the flight so early but it seems like everytime we flight back home (to Newark) flight is delayed. Let this be the time that it'll be RIGHT on schedule....LOL....but all jokes aside, we have a wedding to go to the following day so I booked early to be able to get home at a good time and rest....

Let's hope I dont regret this:(

When we got off the Valor last spring (12:30) flight, they did give us preference and we were at Ft. Lauderdale by 10:30. The problem was the LINE to check your baggage was HUGE! :eek: My mom needs a wheelchair as she can't stand in long lines; so, I basically left them in the line, walked to one of the counters and explained the situation. The guy was VERY, VERY nice, got my mom a chair, and walked with me to bring my whole family to the front of the line. Since at the time, one of my kids was 2 years old, this was a life saver but I am sure the hunderds of other people weren't happy with me. It was a real cluster. Needless to say, we made it in time, but if we had had to wait??? who knows. I would book later if at all possible. In fact, I even commented to my family that I wished we had just taken an extra day off work, spent the night in a hotel and flew back Monday.

Good Luck!

First time flying to and from a cruise was in Jan for the Miracle out of FL. We have always driven before. We had an 1130 am flight out. We did Vip self disembark, were at the airline counter at 8 am, got on the 9 am flight out and were home before our original flight even took off. I hear these stories are rare. We were lucky that day.

I normally book flights anywhere from 10:30 to 12:30. The only time it got dicy was in jacksonville when we had to be searched by customs...luck of the draw. We had a 10:40 flight. I do self assist, and we did make it about 45 minutes before flight time.

Orlando is the exception because the airport is so far from the cruise port.

I am lucky enough to work for Southwest Airlines so flying home from a cruise is always interesting. I have used the self assist once (Jan 1-7 06 Valor) and was at the airport at 8:30 for our 1:00pm flight (thanks to the beauty of non-rev travel, we were able to catrch a 9:15am flight and go home 6 hours earlier!) Never used it since. On the Fascination and the Celebration, we were literally the last people off the ship and amde the airport before 10:30 both times. The Victory was a mess due to weather. Port lost power and most didnt exit the ship until after 12:00.

Anyway, even without self assist, barring the unexpected, 11:55am should be no problem

Archived