Scuba- Cozumel, Belize, Roatan

starrynyte

I would like to know if anyone has dived any of these ports recently. If so, could you please tell me what state the reefs are in? My family and I have dived here in the past, but the past several summers have had some hurricane activity in the area. I have seen hurricane damage in the Eastern Caribbean, and it is very sad. I know that it can take some time for the reefs to recover, so if anyone could give me an update, that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance!

the dive sites are deep and in very good cond it was the shallow reefs that took the impact yucanab in cozumel great cond, the reefs in belize 2 years ago were in great cond. never dove roaron but i may try it this april have fun:D take pictures.....leave bubbles

I would like to know if anyone has dived any of these ports recently. If so, could you please tell me what state the reefs are in? My family and I have dived here in the past, but the past several summers have had some hurricane activity in the area. I have seen hurricane damage in the Eastern Caribbean, and it is very sad. I know that it can take some time for the reefs to recover, so if anyone could give me an update, that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance!

I'll be diving in all 3 next week :D (if all goes well) so I will post when I get back.

In August we dove in Belize - Ambergis Caye. It was fabulous- probably the best dive we have had. We took the excursion off of www.shoretrips.com

On Christmas Day we dove with www.ScubawithAlison.com in Cozumel at Palancar -really beautiful dive. Alison has great photos on her website of before & after hurricane. If you have a chance to dive with her & Chico you will be very happy! They are awesome.

Our son is 14 and Jr Certified Diver - We have found that most cruise ships won't let Jr Divers on their excursion - or you have to pay extra for your own divemaster- so we always find another company to take us out.

Have a great trip - you won't be disappointed!

Esther

valarson5, I've also booked the Ambergris Fly & Dive. Can't wait - that has to be most glamorous ever way to get a dive site.

Maybe you can answer this: Did you take your own gear? How did the boarding process go? What time did you return to the cruise ship? :confused:

Hi JP,

You are in for a real treat!!

We only travel with mask, fins & snorkel - and wetsuit in the winter. My mask broke before we entered for the first dive and they had one on the boat for me to borrow. By the time we surfaced they had my mask repaired - those guys were super!

When you get off the ship there is someone waiting for you- you walk across the street, sign a waiver and they race you to the airport for the 7:15 flight (or something like that). The shore time is 2 hours before ship time-- so when you dock at 8AM for example it is 6AM on land. We were on one of the first tenders - Belize is a pain because you have to tender to shore which takes about 30 minutes. I was nervous about missing the boat and the guys were making fun of me (in a nice way). They do this everyday of the year- they told me they have never had anyone miss a ship (not sure I completely believed them - but we made it with about 40 minutes to spare for the last tendor.:eek:

There were about 15 people on the flight - mostly locals that commute to San Pedro. We were the only tourist. Sit by the window and bring your camera- you fly so low that you can practically see the fish in the water!!

When you arrive at the San Pedro airport someone was waiting for us and off we went. They knew the schedule and everything went like clockwork. We would do this trip again in a heartbeat - Try to relax and not think about missing the boat. In the great big scheme of things, what is the worst that can happen should you miss the boat?!

I will pull out my dive book and get the divemaster's name - it was only the 4 of us - me, my husband and two teenagers. We saw so many shark that we stopped counting. The divemaster caught a baby one and we petted it and took great pictures.

Have a terrific time!

Esther

Just a FYI We dove in Cozumel Sept '06 It was great. Awesome dive shop I recommend is dive with christine. I think the web site is divewithchristine.com (I hope I am right) anyway they had a great operation nice boat with padded seats and covered area, good prices, they will pick you up, and lunch too.

valarson5, I've also booked the Ambergris Fly & Dive. Can't wait - that has to be most glamorous ever way to get a dive site.

Maybe you can answer this: Did you take your own gear? How did the boarding process go? What time did you return to the cruise ship? :confused:

BELIZE - You can easily set up this same dive on your own. As soon as you get off the ship go to Tropic Air http://www.tropicair.com/reservations/FlightSchedule.cfm municipal airport (not the international airport that cost almost twice as much and you all fly on the same planes both ways) and get on the 20 - 25 minute flight to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye (no pre payment for flights). Walk about three blocks to the dive shops, I usually use Ambergris Divers http://www.ambergrisdivers.com/DIVING.htm and set up the Dive in advance on line (no deposit required) and board the boat. The S I T time will be on shore at their shop then a five minute boat ride back out to the reef for the second dive. Just let the divemasters know what you would like to see (sharks & green moray eels are common). We usually eat a bite at the place right on the beach by the dive shop then walk back to the airport for the return flight to Belize City. The whole time should be less than 6 hours easy. If you get off the ship quicker than you thought go to the airport and they usually have seats open on every flight so you can catch an earlier plane and have a little more time to enjoy the little town of San Pedro, very friendly and safe, nothing like Belize City. The flight is $60.00 round trip - dive is around $60.00 - $75.00 and lunch is less than $10.00. Taxis are about $3.00 - $4.00 per person each way Total $150.00 per diver $75.00 for a non diver that wants to join the group. This is always a very memorable day on a cruise.

We do this dive often from cruise ships. The only trick is getting off the ship on an early tender and it helps if you have 4 or more divers to share the dive boat and set the time for what you want. They have been very cooperative with our groups every time.

Cozumel - Just contact your favorite dive shops (there are a hundred) and set up a great dive. My personal favorite is Dive With Martin and I always use divemaster David. We like to dive our computers and not have the whole group abort a dive because someone sucks down their air.

Roatan - Same as above just not as many dive shops to choose from, no personal favorite yet

Anyone do any wrecks in Cozumel, going to try that next?
Cozumel has one artificial reef. Every time I've tried to talk my dive OP into diving it, she talks me out of it. Apparently, it might be worth one dive if you are really into diving wrecks, but it doesn't have much growth on it.

Archived