Anyone stayed at Quality Suites Convention Center Charleston

summersfunnc

DH and I are sailing out of Charleston on the 23rd and have booked at the Quality Suites Convention Center on Arco Lane in North Charleston. They will keep our car and shuttle us to the port and back. Can anyone tell me about the area that we will be in and if there will be anything to do. Also has anyone shuttled to the port and back with Quality, Thanks

You might find more info, someone who has stayed there, on the East Coast Departure boards. You can get to that from the main boards.

I did want to say that I go to google maps, put the address in of the hotel, then find businesses in the area. Restaurants, points of interests, etc. That's always helped me to find out about an area also.:)

Hi there! I haven't stayed there - but I do live here and that hotel is nice. On Arco Lane you're going to be close to Tanger Outlets (walking distance) and everything else. It IS in North Charleston - which sometimes isn't the best, BUT the hotel is in a good spot. I wouldn't hesitate leaving it there.

Have a great cruise!

Wow really????? I wouldn't stay at the Holiday Inn Riverview. It's a round hotel that looks neat from the outside but I wouldn't stay there AT ALL.

I asked my husband his opinion and he even said the same thing. I'd opt for the Quality Inn in a heartbeat. It's a lot safer, and it's a LOT easier to get in and out of without getting run over!

How old are the reviews that you're reading?

Are you specifically looking for a park and cruise package? OR are you simply looking for a hotel for the night before?

Yes looking for a park and cruise and initially thought that the Quality sounded great but then read two very negative reviews (after I booked) from Dec. and Jan. and started looking again. I would not have been sailing out of Charleston if I had listened to the first two reviews that I read about the Majesty but at the time Trip adviser was the only advise I had.

Thank you for following up and I will stick with what you have advised and remain with the Quality. I like that it will be easier to get to and DH and I will have something to do in the evening (window shopping at the mall, just like home).

I honestly don't think you'll regret it. If you have ANY problems with the room or anything else I would contact the front desk and tell them. Remember also, Choice Hotels (Quality Inns & Suites falls under) has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You get your money back if they don't resolve a problem.

Tanger Outlet is right there along with Walmart and Sam's Club....and LOTS of shopping, with some restaurants. You'll be able to find something to do!

One more note....if the Embassy Suites has a park and cruise package - check them out, too......NICE hotel.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

If you have any other questions - feel free to ask!

Just out of sheer curiosity I thought I'd call and check....

Embassy does have a park and cruise package for $169 for a standard suite and $184 for a corner suite. Not sure what rates you found at Quality, but that's the info I got.....IF you are interested......their number is 843-747-1882.

DH and I are sailing out of Charleston on the 23rd and have booked at the Quality Suites Convention Center on Arco Lane in North Charleston. They will keep our car and shuttle us to the port and back. Can anyone tell me about the area that we will be in and if there will be anything to do. Also has anyone shuttled to the port and back with Quality, Thanks

I just visited Quality's web site &, unfortunately, it said they require a 2-night minimum stay for Nov when we sail out of Charleston.

DH and I are sailing out of Charleston on the 23rd and have booked at the Quality Suites Convention Center on Arco Lane in North Charleston. They will keep our car and shuttle us to the port and back.

If, after your cruise, you get back to this thread & wouldn't mind telling us about your impressions w/ this hotel I'd love to hear it. I did find their correct website (don't know where I was before when it said we needed to stay a min of 2 nights). I called them & it is a pretty good deal. Parking, breakfast, shuttle for a reasonable price. I know they're further from the port than other hotels but they're also a lot cheaper. And we have a family of 6 & this place would allow us all in one room instead of the closer hotels where we'd need 2 rooms.

Have fun & let us know!

Thanks.

The Quality Inn by Tangiers Outlet isn't as good as the Embassy Suites, but it is a fully acceptable choice with a few high points. We have stayed there about 5x in the past 2 years. It has a central atrium a la Embassy Suites.

It is walking distance to Hardee's, Arby's and several other new fast or family restaurants on the opposite side of the Outlets, including a new, very nice Chinese buffet. Weekday evenings there are complimentary cocktails. We have brought our Arby's dinners back to the tables in the atrium and enjoyed the beer or wine. Breakfast includes cooked-to-order omelets, bacon, biscuits, etc.

Also walking distance is a SuperWalmart and a Dollar Tree for picking up those last minute necessities. Even a Nail Salon for a last minute pedicure at a fraction of the onboard price.

The Holiday Inn Riverview it flanked by busy bridge traffic and difficult to get in and out of sanely, IMHO. You'll get lost finding nearby restaurants, and with traffic it can be a slow trip from hotel to port even though it is not far.

There are several nice hotels across the Cooper River in Mt Pleasant near the battleship [which is worth touring]. Have you checked them parking?

Good luck, if you check in at the ship very early, then you can walk the waterfront down to the Battery. We can always tell when a ship is in port. We notice the walkers all look like us, LOL, not like regular touristas.

• 2 weeks later...

We did stay and I was very pleased with the choice. Quality suites was very easy to find, only a minute or two from the freeway. It was right across the street from the outlet mall, walmart, dollar tree and other stores and several restaurants so it was most convenient. Room was large two room suite and included a full breakfast. Down side is that while it said non smoking, it did smell of cigarettes. Parking was anywhere you chose out in the parking lot, which was well lit.

Thanks for taking the time to report on the Quality Inn. It sounds like a good possibility, but I'm wondering about getting to the cruise terminal from there. I think Embassy Suites said they have a free shuttle. Did Quality have a shuttle? If so, was there some charge? Was it convenient (esp. at pickup after your cruise)?

Thanks again,

UNCle Don

I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say things are in walking distance... if a mile or two is in walking distance then yes, but don't expect to walk outside and find things right there. It is a LONG walk to Super Walmart - heck the parking lot is a HUGE. You might look at some hotels downtown that would be in walking distance of food/drinks/history. The Quality Inn is in an area that has the Convention Center, Tangers and so on, BUT nothing is right next door.

Really? I don't know....if you walk out of the back of the hotel, you are less than 1/4 mile from the Super Walmart. The Embassy might be about a mile away from Walmart....but the Quality, Windsor, Intown Suites (I wouldn't stay there....), and whatever that other one is......they're all right there within walking distance, I would say.

Although....each person does define "walking distance" differently. I won't walk a mile....but this is less than 1/4 mile.

I'm NOT trying to sound like I am rebutting anything, but I just wouldn't want someone to not book that hotel because it's "out there" for those who don't have a car.....etc. There's a lot right there.

Just out of sheer curiosity I thought I'd call and check....

Embassy does have a park and cruise package for $169 for a standard suite and $184 for a corner suite. Not sure what rates you found at Quality, but that's the info I got.....IF you are interested......their number is 843-747-1882.

For that price I'd stay downtown at The Andrew Pinckney Inn and just park in one of the city lots. You can walk to port from there.

I avoid North Charleston, which is a different city than Charleston, if at all possible.

Really? I don't know....if you walk out of the back of the hotel, you are less than 1/4 mile from the Super Walmart. The Embassy might be about a mile away from Walmart....but the Quality, Windsor, Intown Suites (I wouldn't stay there....), and whatever that other one is......they're all right there within walking distance, I would say.

Although....each person does define "walking distance" differently. I won't walk a mile....but this is less than 1/4 mile.

I'm NOT trying to sound like I am rebutting anything, but I just wouldn't want someone to not book that hotel because it's "out there" for those who don't have a car.....etc. There's a lot right there.

The lot is a long way for some is what I am saying. You may think a 1/4 mile is not long, but to some that would mean having an ambulance take them home.... lol

I have to say that if I was coming into town for the night I would want to stay downtown and not in North Charleston. I have stayed at the Embassy Suites in North Charleston - but I was going to a concert and there is a walkway to and from the coliseum.

For that price I'd stay downtown at The Andrew Pinckney Inn and just park in one of the city lots. You can walk to port from there.

I avoid North Charleston, which is a different city than Charleston, if at all possible.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this section of North Charleston. Just like every city or town, there are areas that you want to avoid, but the Tanger Mall area is nice and well lighted. It is easy to find and close to the airport.

If you have a car there is also a Movie threater just across I26, about a 2 minute drive. Northwoods Mall is less than 10 minutes west on I26, incase you want more places to shiop. Parking in the city lots can be expensive. Which is the appeal of a park-n-cruise package. You save money on the parking.

Archived