Gifts for Alla, the guide and driver

leenie29

We're not leaving until the end of June but I'm starting to think ahead. I would like to give Alla, the guide and driver a thank you gift after our tour (beside a tip), a little something from our home town. Since we're on the Jersey Shore would something like salt water taffy or fudge (my 9 year old thinks we should get the little teddy bears that wear a t-shirt that says "Welcome to the Jersey Shore" to give as a gift but I'm not convinced) be appropriate. I'm thinking more so as a way to teach my boys (ages 14 & 9) to be appreciative to our hosts for showing us a great time in and teaching us about their country.

The last time I was in St. Petersburg it was 1988. I was on a college student semester abroad program and a couple of pack or cartoon of Marlboro's were the most appreciated "gifts" we gave to families that we visited. I know things have changed a lot since then.

Any ideas/suggestions are very welcomed.

Eileen

We'll be using DenRus for a private 3 day tour for our group.

Since we own a hand crafted bath and body products business I'll be taking along some of our bar soap. We gave one to our cabin steward (lovely Romanian girl on our last cruise). She was so excited and thankful. Even made a point to come and tell me how good it made her skin feel.

I think your ideas are on the right track.

Last Sept. we gave the guide and driver some post cards of the area we live in, a deck of cards with our flag on them, a small bottle of Canadian Club (mini size). They didn't expect anything and we could tell these extras were really appreciated. Also, a tip and a few kind words meant a lot.

Thank you everyone who replied. Excellent suggestions that I really appreciate. Maybe we'll make little "goodie" bags of stuff from the Jersey Shore like some salt water taffy, fudge and stuff like that to give them. I'll visit our County Chamber of Commerce and see what they have too.

Eileen

Hi Leenie29! We are also from the Jersey shore area, a bit west of the coast in Freehold, but we spend lots of time in the "shore area" during the summer. What ship are you cruising on? We are on the Oceania Regatta on July 30th. What a nice idea to bring little gifts for the guide and driver!

Hi Leenie29! We are also from the Jersey shore area, a bit west of the coast in Freehold, but we spend lots of time in the "shore area" during the summer. What ship are you cruising on? We are on the Oceania Regatta on July 30th. What a nice idea to bring little gifts for the guide and driver!

We're on the NCL Jewel on June 22 about a month ahead of you. We know Freehold very well since that's where our closest decent mall is.

I remembered from my trip to Russia years ago that it was a custom to bring a gift to your host especially something they couldn't get in Communist Russia. Times have changed a bit since 1988 and the list is a little different since many things are now available in Russia. I look at our tour of St. Petersburg with Alla as our host to show us their country and like any good guests we will bring a gift to each of our hosts.

You can always bring Springsteen stuff.

Eileen

We are also touring with Alla on May 24 & 25. We are from Kentucky and have bought each a glass with all the different tourist sites in Kentucky and filled them with travel sizes of Maker's Mark bourbon, race horses and bourbon candy. A little taste of Kentucky!

Roseanna

• 3 months later...

Did anyone who has sailed in the 2008 season brought their private tour guides gifts, if so what did you bring? Also how much did you tip the guide and driver?

We've book Alla June 29 & 30. Since we're at the Jersey Shore we found flip flop magnets, a postcard with pictures of the Jersey Shore, and salt water taffy, but I'm still looking for little easy to pack things.

Eileen

We were with Alla on May 24 & 25th of this yr. If you look above under my previous response you will see what gifts we gave. We also did a private tour and tipped more than was recommended by Alla.

Roseanna

We were with Alla on May 24 & 25th of this yr. If you look above under my previous response you will see what gifts we gave. We also did a private tour and tipped more than was recommended by Alla.

Roseanna

How much tip was recommeneded? I haven't seen that information or have already forgotten it.

Chloe

Archived