Booking on Princess with Future Cruise Credit

cubwin1

I've been reading these boards for years, but have never asked a question - but I'm stumped, so maybe someone can help me. I'm looking to book on the Emerald Princess in October. On my last cruise, my DH and I placed a deposit on a future cruise of $100 each. I understood at the time that I could book a future cruise with a reduced deposit at $100, as well as earning on onboard credit (amount depending on length of cruise), booking through either Princess direct, or through an agent of my choice. Now I'm in the process of trying to book, and of course, trying to save some money, I'm searching the online agencies for deals. Can I use my deposit already paid to Princess if I book online? Will I still be able to obtain the onboard credit if I book online? I tried obtaining quotes through an online "bidding" service (I'm not sure if we can name names here), and in the quotes that came back, some indicated that I couldn't use the deposit already paid or my onboard credits - if I wanted to use them, I'd have to call back for an "optional" (which I'm guessing means "higher") quote. I'm sure there are experts on these boards who can give me some advice, so I'm throwing this out there hoping someone can give me some guidance. THANKS!

Your ghost booking is with Princess Cruise Lines. When you do book your Princess cruise, you may book it with any TA and they are supposed to honor the reduced deposit (cruise line's specify deposit amounts, not travel agencies). If a TA says he won't honor your contract with Princess, I would run like a gazelle away from them. As far as the onboard credit, that will automatically show up on your booking as soon as you book. You can go online as soon as you book and it should show up with your booking number.

Thanks, Cruzman. Maybe you can answer another question. I priced an option online, and it was a good price. The deposit, though, was much higher than the $100, so I called the number on the website, and was told that I would have to pay the full deposit they require (it was around $900 or so!), and that they would apply the deposit already paid to Princess on top of that. Additionally, if I booked by phone rather than the website, it would cost $50 more per person. Is that standard? Is there any way I can actually book online (without calling the TA) to get the best deal, and then apply the deposit after I book? I hope this makes sense. Normally, I wouldn't worry about a few extra bucks, but this is to celebrate my 5 year anniversary, and I'm planning on booking the best cabin I can get so it's going to cost a "boat-load"! :)

Thanks, Cruzman. Maybe you can answer another question. I priced an option online, and it was a good price. The deposit, though, was much higher than the $100, so I called the number on the website, and was told that I would have to pay the full deposit they require (it was around $900 or so!), and that they would apply the deposit already paid to Princess on top of that. Additionally, if I booked by phone rather than the website, it would cost $50 more per person. Is that standard? Is there any way I can actually book online (without calling the TA) to get the best deal, and then apply the deposit after I book? I hope this makes sense. Normally, I wouldn't worry about a few extra bucks, but this is to celebrate my 5 year anniversary, and I'm planning on booking the best cabin I can get so it's going to cost a "boat-load"! :)

I am more than a little bit skeptical of this! I have never heard of any agency charging more for a deposit than what the cruise line requires. I wouldn't do it! Have you checked with *************dotcom? Another thing, when comparing pricing, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Some agencies will quote you a price that does not include port charges, taxes, fuel supplement, etc. (*************)

Unless this is for a very long cruise run away, run away!

I've never heard of anyone requiring more than a $250.00/pp deposit and since you've already made the $100.00 deposit with Princess you shouldn't have to deposit anything else.

IMO, you should find a local TA instead of looking for an online agency. The prices shouldn't be very different and a local TA can do a lot for you.

• 1 year later...

As a TA, you can apply the FCC to any booking,

you do not need to pay an additional deposit above the 100 unless it is a world cruise, then it is not applicable.

You are correct, the FCC does go back to the agent that booked your cruise, but it is attached to you and can be applied by any TA that books you.

I think that people are trying to take advantage of you.

Unless this is for a very long cruise run away, run away!

I've never heard of anyone requiring more than a $250.00/pp deposit and since you've already made the $100.00 deposit with Princess you shouldn't have to deposit anything else.

IMO, you should find a local TA instead of looking for an online agency. The prices shouldn't be very different and a local TA can do a lot for you.

We paid a $900 deposit for a 12 day cruise. Not unusual. We pay $350 for 7 day. It is only $250 for a shorter cruise of 3 or 4 days. We have used a reputable online agency. We have used a local TA. We have also booked direct with cruise lines a few times. They all required the same deposits depending on length and cost of the cruise. We never received any extra benefits for using a local TA. Now we go with whomever gives us the best price.

We paid a $900 deposit for a 12 day cruise. Not unusual. We pay $350 for 7 day. It is only $250 for a shorter cruise of 3 or 4 days. We have used a reputable online agency. We have used a local TA. We have also booked direct with cruise lines a few times. They all required the same deposits depending on length and cost of the cruise. We never received any extra benefits for using a local TA. Now we go with whomever gives us the best price.

I need to clarify-$900 was for TWO people. When it is $350 we pay $700 for the 2 of us, if it is $250 we pay $500 for the 2 of us. If our daughter is with us, of course we pay an extra deposit for her of the same amount.

Archived