Seeing Venice by water

What's the best way to see Venice via the waterways? I've read that water taxis are expensive as are gondolas. What type of transportation will take you through the canals? Is there such a thing?

We'd like to see Venice by water as well as land.

Get a real feal of Venice by riding the local water bus called the vaporetto. One of them navigates the entire canal. I've forgotten the number, but am sure that someone here can tell you, or you can ask when you get there.

Enjoy!

The vaporettos are great and if you'll be in Venice for a few days you can get a 24, 36, or 72 hour pass for unlimited use during that time frame. Walking is wonderful in Venice, crossing all the little bridges. We always get lost in Venice but it's the most magical place to get lost in. It may sound strange if you haven't been there before, but once you visit, you'll understand it. Have a wonderful time.

Joan

Go to the Piazzale Roma Vaporetti stop and grab the #1 or #82 Vaparetto...Try to get the seats right up at the very front so you can see both sides...

Make sure you have a good guide book ...I recommend the AAA Spiral Guide Venice (remember, this is a public bus, not a guided tour)...

This will take you the length of the Grand Canal--which snakes in a big "S" thhrough the entirety of Venice...

The vaporetti are similar to buses. They run defined routes, principally the Grand Canal and Giudecca as well as a couple of other larger canals, plus out to the islands and Lido, and provide the main means of public transport. You get a great experience and great views from the vaporetti, but they can be very crowded, which may limit your photo opportunities.

The vaporetti cannot get round the back canals. Some of the turns are too tight, the canals are too narrow and the bridges too low. If there is not a vaporetto going where you want to be, then you take one to the nearest point and be prepared to walk. Contrary to expectations, although Venice has lots of canals, there is also a lot of dry land! If your pocket can stand it you can take a water taxi to just about anywhere on the canals, but they are expensive.

The traghetti are like gondolas, but are effectively a ferry providing a public means of crossing the Grand Canal in three or four places along its length. From memory the cost was about a half euro, and the journey takes about five minutes. Most people stand up, but it can be a bit rocky, especially from the wake of the vaporetti going past.

If you are very lucky, you may know somebody who has a private boat, and can take you around the back canals.

The gondola has a long history, but is no longer a means of transport (though that's how they started out). It is now a tourist attraction, and having done it a number of times, IMHO is well worth doing as it will go round the back canals and provide a view of Venice off the main tourist drag that you will not see otherwise. You should be able to ask the gondolier to take you to any particular part you want to visit. The trip is usually around 45 minutes. The cost per gondola (not per person) is around 80 euros, and they can seat at least six.Though you may be able to negotiate the price down, you may end up with a shorter ride.

Contrary to what some posters have suggested, it has been my experience that the gondolas do not go onto the Grand Canal for any great distance, usually only for a few minutes for the experience, then return to the back canals. However, some of the organised ships' tours have gondolas going in procession along the Grand canal for a greater distance.

Paul S

You didn't mention how many days you are going to be in Venice and what you want to do? If you are just going to spend less than 2 days in Venice, at a minimum pick up a very good map (I bought a coated fold-up highly documented map at local AAA office) and do some internet reading. If you have the time to try to gain some mastery of this complicated location, also buy a $20-24 tour book (spend a couple of hours at your local book store and be amazed and confused) and spend at least a week reading before your trip (just on Venice).

Three useful websites for self and spouse:

http://www.actv.it

http://www.vtp.it

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice...tto_routes.htm

Happy research!

David

Myda,

Have you tried viatour or aguideinvenice dot com? Both seem to offer water tours - although I'm not sure if they go on any of the smaller canals. We are also considering these because of my difficulty with walking too far.

So much to learn!!

Dorothy

Thanks to you all for the info/advice. Unfortunately we are in Venice for only a day and a half.:(

We do plan on walking around to see as much as we can - but also want to experience the waterways.

And we've heard so much about the gelato - we'll definitely be looking to get some of that!!!:p

If the weather is nice I recommend you tour the Grand Canal as follows:

1. Get the 24 or 48 hour vaporetto pass

2. Plan to start about an hour or two before sunset - the evening light is best.

3. Get as far forward as possible and then grab the front seats as people get off.

4. Wherever you start from, go to St Mark's Square on one end and the Train station at the other. You can get on and off easily at any stop. I forget which is the express, #1 or #82. Ask. The express is better.

5. When it gets dark find a restaurant on the canal (if you can afford it) and watch the traffic.

We did this in June 06. Enjoy!

Archived