Maggen's Bay Questions . . .

balanceok

We've never been to Maggen's Bay and want to give it a try. I have a couple of questions:

1) is it true that there are no chairs or umbrellas to rent?

2) are there changing facilities like at Trunk Bay?

3) are there places to eat that are good and reasonably priced?

4) is it easy to get a cab back to town?

This will be our sixth trip to St. Thomas, but we've always opted to go over to St. Johns. I thought we would give this a try.

Thanks.

We've been to Magen's Bay several times, but it's been a while because we've been going to Trunk Bay lately. I know we sat on our towels and I don't remember if they had chairs. I think maybe they did but perhaps not enough for everyone. They do have a small little bar/restaurant area and I think maybe a small gift shop. I don't think we changed clothes but I believe some people used the bathrooms to do that. We took the excursion from the ship, it was very minimal, they took us to the beach and brought us back to the ship, so we didn't have to worry about getting a taxi. I seem to remember a lot of taxi's around though. I think it might have included a drink too. We love Magen's Bay, the water is beautiful, lots of gentle waves, and it's in such a pretty little area. I'm quite sure you won't be disappointed.

We've never been to Maggen's Bay and want to give it a try. I have a couple of questions:

This will be our sixth trip to St. Thomas, but we've always opted to go over to St. Johns. I thought we would give this a try.

Thanks.

1/ I believe you can rent them

2/yes

3/just the one and its OK

4/lots of them

Thanks.

1) chairs yes, umbrellas no

2) yes

3) yes

4) yes

I took 3 teens there just a month ago. 8.oo each for the taxi, (each way), 4.00 each to get in the beach, 11.00 to rent a lounge chair (not a super nice one either...but you get 5.00 back when you return it) So really kind of pricey. the beach was very, very crowded. It is a beautiful beach, great sand, really pretty surroundings, good water, but the actual beach area is long but not wide so people are right on top of each other for laying out. There is changing rooms (again, not great but suitable), places for picnics, shade, a small store with pricey towels etc, and a eatting area that has things like burgers etc. ranging 5-9.00. Easy to get a taxi to there, and very easy to get one back (usually the ones that drop you off are more than happy to be back when you ask them to) but even if they aren't, there are plenty of them there. The bummer about the chair rental, - most places I have traveled to, you rent a chair and they bring it to you & set it up. Here you have to walk over to the "store" go inside, pay for it, then get it from someone and then try to figure out how to get it back to your "spot" on an incredibly crowded beach. They are heavy & not in great shape. Then when you are done, you will need to drag or carry them back to get the deposit of 5.00 a chair back.

We were at this beach for about 2 hours., I won't lie, it was a great 2 hours despite the above, but I am not fully convinced it was the best or only option for a good beach day.

The other word of caution. It takes much longer to get back to the ship then it did to go there. The traffic is incredible heading back & although you can see the ship as you drive back, it will make you incredibly nervious about the time because we were stuck in traffic...and I have heard from many others the same thing happened to them.., so leave the beach to give you plenty of time.

Feel free to ask questions

Magan's Bay is a short (and scenic) 15-20 minute taxi ride from the Havensight dock. Once you arrive your taxi driver will ask you for the admission fee. ($2 or $3 USD pp last time I was there).He pays this at a booth before he's allowed to enter the property.

As you enter the property look to your left. You'll see a small building (think it was green last time I was there). That is the restrooms/changing rooms. Just beyond that is another small building closer to the beach. This is their Bar/Restaurant/Gift shop. They serve sandwhiches, salads, burgers & dogs for lunch and have a small patio with tables & chairs to sit at & enjoy your shore-side lunch. The gift shop is quite elaborate selling everything from logo suveniors to local artwork & Resortwear. They also have bottled water, sunscreens etc. Just outside of the giftshop is where you can rent chaise lounge chairs, floating mats, snorkle equipment. etc.

When you're ready to return to your ship just walk back to the restroom/changing room building and tell the Taxi Director where you want to go. This is where all the taxis gather and the coordinator tries to group people together who are going to the same destination.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Megan's Bay. It is a beautiful beach.

PS: Be sure to have your camera readily available and don't be afraid to ask your driver to stop at one of the many scenic overlooks along te way so you can get a pic.

Enjoy!

Island Annie

I've been to St Thomas quite a few times and have tried several beaches. If you like clear, calm water, then you can't beat Magen's - beautiful, beautiful scenery too. The last time in St Thomas I went to Sapphire Beach but the beach is very narrow and the water was rough and choppy. I love to swim and float and relax, so Magen's is my preferred spot.

There are adequate facilities there.

Coki is great for snorkeling but very crowded. We got there around 10 and our family of 5 had to split up because there was not a space left to fit us all. There were 6 or 7 ships in port that day, but we were surprised it was so full so early. It would be much more enjoyable with 2 or 3 ships if that ever happens. There are many high pressure ladies who will want to braid your hair or sell drinks. It is not very relaxing if you want to lay on the beach. If you spend most of your time in the water, it is wonderful. It starts off a couple feet deep and goes to 3-4 feet for a long time. It is pretty calm and no undertow. The snorkeling there is probably in the top 5 of favorite places for fish for us, but the coral is dead.

They do rent chairs, have onsite scuba and snuba classes, food and drink. There are bathrooms but they are really nasty.

We have been there twice and will definitely go back.

Coki is great for snorkeling but very crowded. We got there around 10 and our family of 5 had to split up because there was not a space left to fit us all. There were 6 or 7 ships in port that day, but we were surprised it was so full so early. It would be much more enjoyable with 2 or 3 ships if that ever happens. There are many high pressure ladies who will want to braid your hair or sell drinks. It is not very relaxing if you want to lay on the beach. If you spend most of your time in the water, it is wonderful. It starts off a couple feet deep and goes to 3-4 feet for a long time. It is pretty calm and no undertow. The snorkeling there is probably in the top 5 of favorite places for fish for us, but the coral is dead.

They do rent chairs, have onsite scuba and snuba classes, food and drink. There are bathrooms but they are really nasty.

We have been there twice and will definitely go back.

Archived