Kite Flying

Wine Taster

This is probably a dumb question, but has anyone tried flying a kite off an aft veranda while underway. Is there a rule against it or is it just impracticable?

It might be fun to do this.

Sure it can be done, but please dnn't!

The slipstream over and around the ship is too unpredictable. Your kite could take a nosedive and come back onto the ship and strike some poor unsuspecting fellow passenger lounging in a deck chair.

Stephen

Sure it can be done, but please dnn't!

The slipstream over and around the ship is too unpredictable. Your kite could take a nosedive and come back onto the ship and strike some poor unsuspecting fellow passenger lounging in a deck chair.

Stephen

This is true as it happen to me on a cruise the women didn't even say sorry --

Ray

In 2003 our roll-call had a theme of flying a kite off the ship. It was a cruise on RCI Legend of the Seas. Sailing from New Zealand to Tahiti and terminating in Hawaii. One of the people on the roll call, Hernme aka Larry, stated that they had done it on many previous cruises. So, it became our theme. We did not ask permission, but at our meet and mingle we planned it for 10am on the first day out of Taraunga, NZ. I didn't want to fly intercontinentaly with a kite in my suitcase, ordered a pair of kites from an Auckland toy store and had them ship the kites to the cocierge at the hotel we were staying at pre-cruise while we watched the last 2 races of the America's Cup Yacht races. So, 10 am we meet at the back of the ship behind the mini golf course, and I worried about the people below us a couple of decks, but it was never an issue. When we launched the kites they shot up about 10 feet as we are quickly playing out line then they began what I termed kite dragging. No matter how much line you played out the kite would spin in wounded circles about 3 or 4 decks below and about 5 or 6 decks above the ocean. It was pretty pathetic. We tried it again a few days later out of Tahiti, same result. Now, I like Larry, and I believe that it is possible to actually fly a kite and not drag a kite, but I think the only possibility would be a situation where you have a wind off the side of the ship. The wind created by the ship and the shape of the ship creates a huge downdraft at the back of the ship which causes the kite to drag behind the ship. 20knots is generally not too much wind for most kites. I have a lifting kite, like those used by kite surfers, that I was flying a few weekends ago in 40 mph winds. I would not recommend one of those for a cruise ship. It would really suck if the kite lifted you off the deck and deposited you a few hundred yards behind the ship.

jc

Archived