We made an interesting purchase on Labadee!

Jungle Jane

Do you read Budget Travel magazine? That is a great item to send in for their monthly piece on goofy things that happen to travelers. I think you can check them out online too.

I know this thread is older than dirt but I wanted to let you know that I submitted the story to Budget Travel mag and it's in this month's issue!

Thanks for the idea :)

• 2 weeks later...
I know this thread is older than dirt but I wanted to let you know that I submitted the story to Budget Travel mag and it's in this month's issue!

Thanks for the idea :)

Hey, I just came on here to look for this thread, I was reading my budget travel tonight & saw the story!!!

WAY TO GO JUNGLE JANE!!!

:) :) :D :) :)

Hey, I just came on here to look for this thread, I was reading my budget travel tonight & saw the story!!!

WAY TO GO JUNGLE JANE!!!

:) :) :D :) :)

Thanks for giving me the idea to submit the story! And now I'm totally hooked on this magazine! :D

Thanks for giving me the idea to submit the story! And now I'm totally hooked on this magazine! :D

Yeah, I like it too. Although sometimes the places featured are a bit out there.

We found a garden in Pennsylvania that we are planning to visit this weekend and I ordered a few of those cloth/scarf type city maps that they had mentioned. The maps are supposed to come today- I got New Orleans, Las Vegas & NYC, since I am visiting all those place later this year. :p

This was a pretty good month for Budget Travel, lots of useful stuff.

Yeah, I like it too. Although sometimes the places featured are a bit out there.

We found a garden in Pennsylvania that we are planning to visit this weekend and I ordered a few of those cloth/scarf type city maps that they had mentioned. The maps are supposed to come today- I got New Orleans, Las Vegas & NYC, since I am visiting all those place later this year. :p

This was a pretty good month for Budget Travel, lots of useful stuff.

I'm still reading it, it had some good stuff on Orlando area, we're thinking of that as our next trip. We've been to Disney but always just did the Disney thing and never went outside the parks and that is up next.

You're right tho', some of the places they feature seem really wild.

This is too funny! As a high school teacher, I would've recognized it right away -- your daughter is to be complimented for NOT KNOWING what it is! Also, in your defense, pot leaves are almost always drawn with the leaves pointing UPWARD, so your necklace isn't typical.

Changing the subject slightly: I thought the funniest store in the Labadee market was the stall selling USED SHOES. It looked like someone walks around the beach after the tourists leave (hopefully after they leave) and collects all the shoes, then sells them!

I'm still reading it, it had some good stuff on Orlando area, we're thinking of that as our next trip. We've been to Disney but always just did the Disney thing and never went outside the parks and that is up next.

You're right tho', some of the places they feature seem really wild.

Have fun in Orlando!

I love Disney, and have had a blast at Universal and Seaworld. If you get a chance, head over to Kennedy Space Center. I thought it might be lame, but it was really interesting.

Have fun in Orlando!

I love Disney, and have had a blast at Universal and Seaworld. If you get a chance, head over to Kennedy Space Center. I thought it might be lame, but it was really interesting.

This time (if we go) will be Universal and Sea World. Not sure any of us would be into Kennedy. BUT, you've steered me in the right direction before so I should listen to you :)

This time (if we go) will be Universal and Sea World. Not sure any of us would be into Kennedy. BUT, you've steered me in the right direction before so I should listen to you :)

I did not think I would like KSC at all - I am a mouse lover through and through, and we budgeted about 4 hours at Kennedy and it was so not enough. We could have stayed another 3-4 hours- we missed the imax show, there was some simulated ride thing, and we were rushing through the bus tour because we knew we were running out of time. We saw bald eagles, gators, and these funny wild pigs- including babies!

Sea World is great when you need a more relaxing day- we found it to be much less hectic than disney, but still loved it. You can get through the entire park without being exhausted. Plus, you get nice breaks for your feet with all the shows. So plan that for the end of your trip.

And Universal has great roller coasters! Love 'em!

Hope you get to go on your trip this year, if not, you can keep planning for next year, right?? ;)

I did not think I would like KSC at all - I am a mouse lover through and through, and we budgeted about 4 hours at Kennedy and it was so not enough. We could have stayed another 3-4 hours- we missed the imax show, there was some simulated ride thing, and we were rushing through the bus tour because we knew we were running out of time. We saw bald eagles, gators, and these funny wild pigs- including babies!

Sea World is great when you need a more relaxing day- we found it to be much less hectic than disney, but still loved it. You can get through the entire park without being exhausted. Plus, you get nice breaks for your feet with all the shows. So plan that for the end of your trip.

And Universal has great roller coasters! Love 'em!

Hope you get to go on your trip this year, if not, you can keep planning for next year, right?? ;)

KSC does sound like a lot more fun than I would have imagined. I do love those simulated rides and the IMAX stuff.

So if we were to go to Orlando (this would be next yr or 2010 since I am recovering from 2 hand surgeries and facing 2 more before it's all over and done with) we would probably stay on Universal or Disney property just because we love it so much...and if we went for 7 days would it be reasonable to fit in the 2 Universal parks (we'd skip the water park) SeaWorld and KSC? You can't really count the 1st day b'c we'd fly in, can't really count the last day either. When we did a 7 Disney trip a few years ago we did all 4 parks, one park a day and the 5th day we drove to Daytona to visit friends and family. 1st and last days were eaten up by travel. Do you think it would work out similarly to do the 4 attractions I mentioned if we were to go again in the next couple of years?

KSC does sound like a lot more fun than I would have imagined. I do love those simulated rides and the IMAX stuff.

So if we were to go to Orlando (this would be next yr or 2010 since I am recovering from 2 hand surgeries and facing 2 more before it's all over and done with) we would probably stay on Universal or Disney property just because we love it so much...and if we went for 7 days would it be reasonable to fit in the 2 Universal parks (we'd skip the water park) SeaWorld and KSC? You can't really count the 1st day b'c we'd fly in, can't really count the last day either. When we did a 7 Disney trip a few years ago we did all 4 parks, one park a day and the 5th day we drove to Daytona to visit friends and family. 1st and last days were eaten up by travel. Do you think it would work out similarly to do the 4 attractions I mentioned if we were to go again in the next couple of years?

Well, you've got plenty of time to plan & rearrange your plans between now & then. :p I don't think planning that far in advance is too early- besides, you have to start saving up in advance. I don't know how Disney advertises those 4 night/5 day trips, that is just crazy for most travelers!!

Universal Studios and Islands of Adventures are both doable in one day each. I think Studios is bigger, and holds more interest for movie buffs. IoA is more popular w/ littler kids- but has a few super excellent coasters- and the Spiderman Ride is great. Plus- they are having this new Harry Potter island opening up, which I think is going to be fabulous- should be open by 2010 for sure. I personally liked the Dr. Seuss island- but I could see how that wouldn't be everyone's thing.

Sea World is also a one day park- again, save for later in the week when you need a mellow day, and pay attention to the schedule they hand out with the show times, you will be lost without it.

By the time you drive over to KSC & back that is one full day. Probably a 45 minute drive from the airport. We actually did in on the return day from our last cruise- had a 6 pm flight home, maybe? And got off in Port Canaveral and went right there- plenty of time to get back, drop off car & get to airport, but we would have liked to stay longer as I said before.

I would stay if you are going to do only 1 Disney park during the trip, maybe stay at Universal so you are A. closer and B. don't get too confused about your plans mid-week- as in you want to add a Disney park but have already planned other ones. You might leave a day that is going to be a 'Disney Day' and decide when you get there what park you are in the mood for- or if you had a favorite.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived