Norway Cruise

We are on a NCL Jade cruise to Norway from Southampton, taking in Alesund, Kristiansund, Svartisen Glacier, Honningvaag, Hellsylt/Gerainger, Trondheim, Bergen and Stavanger.

Has anyone done this type of cruise?

Any tips?

Do they wait on the dockside with trips available, are there any Tourist Info offices at the dockside? How about ATMs?

Does anyone have any alternative tour operators from the Ships tours.

There is a dearth of info re this area on the CC boards compared to what is obviously more popular cruising areas, such as Alaska or the Baltic

Come on CC'ers you always come up trumps:)

There is a dearth of info re this area on the CC boards compared to what is obviously more popular cruising areas, such as Alaska or the Baltic
Information appears to be split across this forum and the British Isles/Western Europe forum. But a search of this forum for the single word "Trondheim" threw up 18 threads, including this one - so there is some information out there.

FWIW, if you are up for it in Geiranger, I'd recommend the kayaking trip. We booked through the ship. Much more fun than getting on a coach with hundreds of other people.

At Honninsvag, the main decision you have to make is whether to bother to trek to the North Cape, and if so, whether you are going to allow yourself to be fleeced by the ship's excursion or whether you try to get there by the public bus, which is a fraction of the cost.

Bergen is a beautiful city, well worth walking around and exploring under your own steam. See the picture at the bottom.

And the big decision at Stavanger is whether to go to Lysefjord to see Pulpit Rock.

15ewqjb.jpg

Thanks, Doh, I had only tried searching for "Norway". Hadn't thought of searching for individual stops. Still it's early days yet, don't go till June.

Good to hear you can get to North Cape by public transport. That's the sort of info I'm after. Will probably take a cab if they're available.

had reckoned that Bergen was a DIY job, not sure about Pulpit rock, even if we were to get up there (I believe it's a 2hr hike) I wouldn't step on it, I'm terrible with heights. Would like to see it though......

Hi

I did some of the ports last year - my review and photos are at the bottom. In the Grand reviews section there is also one from Suron, who was with us on the trip.

Agree with Globaliser, Bergen is very easy to do on your own. The Funicular is brilliant, just get there early if you want to see the fantastic views! We were told there was no public transport to the North Cape (we went on a Sunday) but then found out afterwards there was!

I also did the kayaking which was great!

Good luck with your plans.

At Stavangar you can take a half day boat trip through the fjords which takes you to the foot of Pulpit Rock, my other half doesn't do heights either! It was really spectacular, and you stop off for coffee and waffles either on the way or way back. We did the ships excursion but you can do this independantely, although the ships may have booked all the boats. Word of warning tho, if you sit on the top of the boat, make sure you have warm waterproof jackets even on fine days, they don't hang about and you can get very cold and maybe a bit wet!

Archived