Help me find something different in Grand Cayman

TonyinFla

We take the Tampa 5 day cruise often because its so easy and close. Sooooo here we go to Grand Cayman again. We've done all the normal stuff many times over. Is there anytihng not on the excursions lists we can do.

I'm a plump 38 year old who likes to drink and party, and sports and stuff, My wife is a pretty 38 year old who is not an outside person, and a 15 year old daughter, that is a 15 year old girl enough said there.

Deep sea fishing?

Party?

some cool places we've never seen?

Organized pub crawl?

How's the golf?

I would really like to find something new......

please help!

Tony

Try scuba diving? There are many sites with instruction available for novices.

Horseback riding? You can arrange a ride along the beach.

Fishing? Would the 15 y.o. daughter put up with it?

Golf? Well, really only one option at the moment for the day visitor. It's a nice course, but you can golf at home too.

Go for a 1000ft deep submarine ride? The catch is that there can only be two passengers. Grand Cayman is the only place in the world you can just put your money down and hop a ride that deep.

Grand Cayman is not a place known for hard partying. Import duties are high on alcohol making drinks expensive.

Thanks for the input. I was considering scuba diving, a novice course might be fun.

I thought if I could get a two hour boat my daughter might fish a little. Living on the water here in Florida she does fish once in a while.

The inspiration is only in port until two, so partying is out of the question I'm not a good long term drinker.. If I'm going to party I need to start in the evening closer to bed time. :)

We've done the horse back, and two types of submarines, not the DEEP one though. Its a little extreme sports to me, and the most extreme I get is getting my golf ball out of a pond where a gator might be.

It seems the people that live on the Island would do something for fun, besides the tourist stuff. It might be fun to get a little local flavor.

Tony

I don't believe the Supersail Cayman 12 metre yacht racing is still in operation in Cayman. I haven't seen the boats around in a while, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Locals do a lot to entertain ourselves which are typical activities elsewhere. Some of the options are evening activites such as concerts, movies, community theatre, and nightclubs -options which aren't really available to cruise tourists due to the timing.

Weekend and evening community sporting events like soccer and cricket matches draw crowds and fill out sports venues. Sundays the local populace takes over Rum Point and a flotilla of pleasure boats takes to the water anchoring just offshore there. Seven Mile Beach's Public Beach fills up with families bringing coolers to make a day of the beach with friends.

Just because Cayman is a major tourist destination does not mean that the local population is significantly different than elsewhere. We still have to find time to do the laundry, go grocery shopping, clean, and accomplish all the normal chores of everyday life. And much of that goes on after teh cruise ships pull away in the evening.

I live in a very tourist area as well. I love the calm after everyone has left. I imagine Grand Caymen is a calm and wondeful place when its your own.

BTW I would love to watch a cricket match with you locals. That would be so much more fun than petting a turtle with 2000 other tourist.

Tony

We just got back yesterday from our Western Caribbean cruise on the Grand Princess. Our favorite excursion was the helmet dive in the Grand Caymans. The owner of the business, Ben, was born and raised in the Caymans. He's a very personable fellow and was eager for us to have a good experience. My wife has a phobia of water over her head and they helped her all the way.....! There were two divers in the water to help her descend to the floor some 25 feet deep! The helmets you wear are like an old diving bell helmet. They're made of plastic and weigh about 75 pounds out of the water. There's an air hose that supplies a positive pressure inside the helmet once it's submerged. Submerged, the helmet has a net weight of only 15 pounds. It was great! They took us down about 25 feet to the floor of the bay and we walked around looking at all the fish, corral and things. They put fish food in your hands as you watched all the fish have a feeding frenzie in your hands...! It was awesome. We were down there for half an hour. We had such fun. Your neck, face and head remains dry in the helmet. You can even reach up into the helmet and plug your nose to equalize your ears..... It cost about $99 each and was well worth it. We would go do it again in a heart beat. My wife said it was the best excursion of our cruise. That includes the zip-line excursion in Jamaica. Anyways, check it out. We think you'll love it. We did......

Mrq202 and wife

25th Wedding Anniversary

Our First Cruise

Grand Princess 2/16/08 to 2/23/08

mrq202,

Like your wife, I'm afraid of water over my head as well, but do plan on doing this when I cruise there in November. I always wanted to see the undersea life but with this phobia, never thought I'd get the chance. The website says if you can breath and walk you can do this, so I'm going to give it a shot. I plan on taking my nephew as well who is ten. Is there a weight limit for kids?

Do they take your picture while you're under, (If I don't get the picture, NO ONE will believe I did it).

Thanks,

PAllen

We just got back yesterday from our Western Caribbean cruise on the Grand Princess. Our favorite excursion was the helmet dive in the Grand Caymans. The owner of the business, Ben, was born and raised in the Caymans. He's a very personable fellow and was eager for us to have a good experience. My wife has a phobia of water over her head and they helped her all the way.....! There were two divers in the water to help her descend to the floor some 25 feet deep! The helmets you wear are like an old diving bell helmet. They're made of plastic and weigh about 75 pounds out of the water. There's an air hose that supplies a positive pressure inside the helmet once it's submerged. Submerged, the helmet has a net weight of only 15 pounds. It was great! They took us down about 25 feet to the floor of the bay and we walked around looking at all the fish, corral and things. They put fish food in your hands as you watched all the fish have a feeding frenzie in your hands...! It was awesome. We were down there for half an hour. We had such fun. Your neck, face and head remains dry in the helmet. You can even reach up into the helmet and plug your nose to equalize your ears..... It cost about $99 each and was well worth it. We would go do it again in a heart beat. My wife said it was the best excursion of our cruise. That includes the zip-line excursion in Jamaica. Anyways, check it out. We think you'll love it. We did......

Mrq202 and wife

25th Wedding Anniversary

Our First Cruise

Mr. Mrq202 and Mrs. Mrq202 Happy Anniversary! Hubby and I did a cruise ( first cruise ever!)for our 25th wedding anniversary in 2006, and now are booked for our 5th and 6th cruises this year!

My question to you is: what is the name of the buisiness where you booked the helmet dive? My hubby saw something like that in the excursion video on the our last ship and commented he would like to do the helmet dive. We will be in GC in Dec of this year and I would like to look into possibly booking that same excursion you and your wife did.

To the Opening poster...sorry to but into your posting, but the helmet dive caught my eye!

Mrq202 and wife

25th Wedding Anniversary

Our First Cruise

And I assume you get your head wet getting into the helmet? is this right? and would hubby be able to wear his glasses? Thanks!

We did a helmet dive in Cozumel. If this is like that - no you do not get your hair wet. You climb down a ladder. The staff holds the helmet on you until you start to submerge (due to the weight). On your way down the ladder, the helmet's air supply keeps water from coming in. I did have to put my hand up inside the helmet to do the whole hold my nose and blow to equalize my ears. I was very afraid before I actually did this. I got a little freaked out when I was first walking on the bottom also. It was a strange sensation to be breathing under water and I also felt hot. The sun was shining and it was a very warm day when we were there. I just told myself to breath normal and calmed down. It sounds a little weird due to air being blown into your helmet. But it was a GREAT experience and I would do it again in a minute. If there are any ? I can answer I will try. Hope this helps. (I know my experience was in Coz compared to GC but I think all Helmet dives are pretty much the same from my research).

We did a helmet dive in Cozumel. If this is like that - no you do not get your hair wet. You climb down a ladder. The staff holds the helmet on you until you start to submerge (due to the weight). On your way down the ladder, the helmet's air supply keeps water from coming in. I did have to put my hand up inside the helmet to do the whole hold my nose and blow to equalize my ears. I was very afraid before I actually did this. I got a little freaked out when I was first walking on the bottom also. It was a strange sensation to be breathing under water and I also felt hot. The sun was shining and it was a very warm day when we were there. I just told myself to breath normal and calmed down. It sounds a little weird due to air being blown into your helmet. But it was a GREAT experience and I would do it again in a minute. If there are any ? I can answer I will try. Hope this helps. (I know my experience was in Coz compared to GC but I think all Helmet dives are pretty much the same from my research).

Thanks a lot for answering my questions:)

... so we are familiar with your dilemma!! When we go to Cayman next month, we are renting a jeep, with the ultimate goal of getting to Rum Point and/or starfish beach. We just want to see the other/non-touristy side of the island, and also are excited to find someplace local to eat. (found some good suggestions on the budget travel site frommers.com) I also found a local Cayman message board, I think it is run by the publisher of the Cayman Activity Guide? Not sure about that, but anyway, a lot of good info to be had on that site, including a mapped out route for getting "off the beaten path." Check it out!!

Thank You everyone for your replies! We did the helmet dive a couple of trips ago. I thought it was incredible! My poor wife has water phobia, as well, and couldn't get herself into the water. She tried very hard though. I am terrified of heights and would not even begin to go up a high ladder, so the fact that she even tried impressed me.

I like the jeep idea. We only have a few hours, but I think seeing something out of the town may be fun. I'm going to look into that. Thank you, and keep the suggestions coming.

... so we are familiar with your dilemma!! When we go to Cayman next month, we are renting a jeep, with the ultimate goal of getting to Rum Point and/or starfish beach. We just want to see the other/non-touristy side of the island, and also are excited to find someplace local to eat. (found some good suggestions on the budget travel site frommers.com) I also found a local Cayman message board, I think it is run by the publisher of the Cayman Activity Guide? Not sure about that, but anyway, a lot of good info to be had on that site, including a mapped out route for getting "off the beaten path." Check it out!!

Where can I go to find out about this? Thnx...

If you go to the above web site, you can find a section specifically for people who are arriving via cruise ship... go there, and find the thread titled,I think, "go east" and it gives a suggested tour if you rent a car and want to explore. I must say, I am mildly skeptical of their restaurant suggestions, as they always seem to recommend the same places... BUT I do think the "go east" itininerary is a great way to see the "other" side of the island.

Archived